2001 Kia Sportage

Available in 8 styles:  2001 Kia Sportage 4dr 4x4 shown

Overall

Reliable vehicle got me to 220K still running

by Maldeus from Wheeling, IL | April 23, 2014

I both this Sportage 2002 (5 speed manual) from open auction back in 2006 for $3500 the car had 109K miles for my surprise and sins i did not test drive it when i finally left the auction i heard that differential is making grinding noise. drove it straight to KIA dealer with bad feeling that I bought a lemon. $800 later diller replaced rear differential and this the only big repair i did. Good to know that you are protected from engine damage due timing belt failure.only up to 2002 models has it. I replaced timing belt and clutch, support bearing on the drive shaft. But I consider that to be normal. Been there for me true the years so I`m happy with it. Can't comment on automatic transmission. Rear right window was not working for years but suddenly started to work. Best AC and heater i ever saw in a car. The car has no resale value that`s why I`m still keeping it.

worse vehicle

by college student from chicago | November 12, 2013

this has been the worse vehicle ever bought, sank another three grand into it, just to get it running properly.

MOST RELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED

by HOBBIEST from TN & TX | January 17, 2013

I purchased with 6800 miles on it, in 2002 for 8,900.00. I now have 246,00 miles. I have replaced a timing belt, motor on A/C fan, tires & battery, plugs, filters. While still under warranty the window motors on two windows were replaced at no cost. Overall, it has been most dependable car I have ever owned. The 4 wheel drive has gotten me through trips from TN to TX in snow & ice storms, when everyone else was pulled over. I have read the bad reviews by others & do not understand, because i have only changed oil about every 10,000 miles. Just so know I did finally blow a head gasket and going to put old faithful to rest. Oh one more thing, i have never had to ad coolant to A/C & it would still freeze you out when the motor went.

Been there for me

by conbred from Gibsonville NC | July 16, 2012

My parents got me this car when I got my license, and I am now married and 21, and it's still going. I have put a ton of miles on it I know. Yes it has some issues, but most of them being minor, but they can add up after a while. The check engine light has a mind of its own, which no longer phases me. It has even been totalled, and it is still a good little car. I need to upgrade, but if it weren't for the fact that I'm not sure how much longer it's got I wouldn't even consider selling..... Heck it's got 131,000 miles and still runs smooth

Sportage - Not the best

by Lulu from Tigard, OR | January 9, 2012

I paid 4,750.00 for this car. Within 3 months of purchase of a 2001 Kia Sportage the transmission had to be fixed - would not shift into 5th gear. Now the motor blew out one of the spark plugs!! WTH this car has 93,000 miles so I would say it is not the best dependable car. Not too good for only owning for 3 months now and it's incapacitated.

Not sure if I like it or not

by Seasoned buyer from Janesville, Wisconsin | November 17, 2010

I purchased my 2001 Kia Sportage from a Used Car Dealer. It had under 77,000 miles on it and for the price I thought I was getting a great deal. I've had it for less than 3 months and have had multiple problems with it. First it had a defective tire, the air conditioning fan motor blew out within 2 weeks, my power windows and locks seem to have a mind of their own, my windshield wiper arm broke within 3 mos and now I hear a grinding sound near the tires. I'm seriously disappointed. I really wanted a Sportage so I could get a 4 wheel drive vehicle and loved the look of it. I'm really happy with the way it looks and it's fun to drive. However, with it having multiple issues within such a short amount of time, I'm really concerned it is a money pit. It is no longer under warranty so that doesn't help. I think after reading several other reviews that it may have some electrical problems even though the Kia Dealer has told me it checks out okay. I wouldn't recommend this product. I think the newer models have fewer problems. I may purchase a Kia again if I get a newer model, however I only like the styles of the 2009 Sportage or older, I don't like what they've done with the look on the newer models.

Straw that broke the camels back!

by Angry College Student from Bowling Green, Ky | February 22, 2010

After dealing with this car for 3 years replacing it is now in effect. The car has nothing but issues after 3 months of ownership. Problem range from minor to major. The car has no appeal to it to keep it any longer. Performance from the 4 Cyl. engine is horrible, the car is only rated at 130hp and 127lb feet of torque, making the car very sluggish and noisy. Driving the car on the interstate is a chore, the ride feels choppy and unstable. The transmission downshifts horribly at interstate speeds. Handling the car around city traffic is fair but in any type of bad weather it because a big issues. Control in the car are cheap and break easily and expensive to repair. FINALLY the biggest issue with this car is reliability! The car has been in and out of the shop for varies mechanical issue one including engine replacement. This last issue is the straw that broke the camels back. While running errands around campus, I made a right hand turn when I heard a loud pop followed by a dragging noise. The car started shaking violently and I thought the passenger side wheels was coming off. Managed to get the car back to campus. Now waiting for father to send a tow truck, in the mean time he advise me to start car shopping. He made the statement "avoid Kia."

College Students Worse Nightmare!!!

by Struggling college kid from Louisville, Ky | November 3, 2009

2001 Kia Sportage Ex was purchased my freshman year of college by my parents. The car was bought so I could commute around campus, and make a trips home every so often. The car had 88,000 miles on it when purchased. The car turned out be a Nightmare. The 4 cylinder is underpowered, struggles to keep speed on interstate even when cruise control is in use. Handling is okay except in bad weather. I think because the out dated rear-wheel drive plat form. Features in the car are worthless. Window regulator broke($$$!!!), blower motor only works on high, Alarm has mind of its own. Engine replaced at 110,000 miles. Now power-train under car is making grinding noise. Now in senior causing myself more unwanted debt and looking for new car.

Excellent Lil FAMILY TRUCKSTER

by Gen0 from Middleton Id | August 5, 2008

I am disappointed in the mileage is all... I compare that to my 05 Corolla that the same size engine gets 40 MPG.. I love the way it drives.. I am hoping to tweak it so the mileage gets better..All else is BOMB!!

Love it!

by KiaChick from Woodland, CA | January 27, 2008

I bought this and love it! I can feel the ground and I like that. It's not a luxury vehicle just what one needs and it handles wonderfly and it's fun!

Featured Services for this Kia Sportage