2009 Kia Sportage

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Nice small SUV

by GM from Loveland, CO | January 23, 2013

Like everything about the 09 Sportage AWD V6 except for the lack of torque and 4spd autostick Trans. It struggles in the mountains of CO and the rolling hills of the eastern CO plains. Can't find a gear it's happy in. Looked at a new model w/ Turbo = more torque and 6spd, but the new styling raised the bottom of the windows and my wife (sub 5ft) had trouble seeing out of it. Oh well.......................

Fuel average 18-19 around town.

by jimbo from Lewisburg, Ohio | December 9, 2012

Fuel economey for 2.7L V6 is about 18-19 mpg around town. Disapointed about the milage, enternet resourses reported 17-23 mpg. Called and ask Kia what mileage was, after a long wait explained 17-21 mpg, which to date seems very accurate. The Kia rep. was very helpful with all my questions. Although I don't know it for a fact, I must remove intake manifold to change rear 3 of 6 spark plugs on the 2.7L V6 engine, the good part is the plugs are suppose to last a 100,000 miles. On 4 banger the're up front and easy to get at. All so timing belt must be change at 60,000 miles cost $700-$1400 which is a bummer! Parts are under $200,but complexity of iluminum engine and its components scare me off of something I like doing it my self. The price I paid for the Kia was uniform for the model although condition and milage varied. What did vary from dealer to dealer was the amount given for my trade in. All things considered after two months of ownership I'm enjoying the four wheel drive Kia Sportage with with electronic speed control and 17 inch wheels alot.

Love my Kia

by Betty boop from Kenner,Louisiana | December 2, 2010

I wanted a small suv and I did my research on the net. decided on a kia sportage and I love It!!!!!!!

No buyers remorse here!

by outeast from Albrightsville, Pa. | October 12, 2010

I purchased this '09 Sportage 4WD with 28K miles three months ago. After a lot of research and shopping I found this to be the best deal around for a late model small SUV. It drives beautifully and is adequately equipped with the LX package. Cargo room is enhanced with flat rear folding seats. The satelite radio is a welcomed bonus. It lacks an engine temp. gauge, compass and outside temp. readout, but I don't consider these a dealbreaker. The front headrest position are too far forward but the headrest can be turned around for comfort. Overall this vehicle is worth checking out if you're looking for a small, reliable, reasonably priced SUV.

Great Value

by Angel Photographer from Denver, CO | September 17, 2010

I've only had this vehicle 3 months, but it replaces a near trouble-free '97 Sportage. I probably should have thought twice about black because it shows dirt, but the vehicle looks and drives like something much more expensive. I haven't tried the Serius Satelite radio, and may not, because I'm too picky for someone else to program my music. It has an iPod jack and USB on the console, so that is a nice extra touch for long trips! The controls are well designed, and I'm especially impressed with the stability control. The seats fold totally flat, which is another real plus for hauling and car-camping. The one thing I really dislike is that it came with street tires and not ATV. They have almost no traction for snow and mountain roads and they just don't make sense in an SUV. Replacements will run me about $700.00. Just a very stupid and tacky flaw. Otherwise, I will assume that I will have years of reliable service with this vehicle.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

one of the best !

by Roy from lebanon | September 12, 2010

my Sportage is a great 4*4, good car, heavy duty, nice look, comfortable, nice price and fuel economy, I tried it last winter and I'm waiting to drive it on snow this winter thank you Kia !

too many times in the shop

by optimamama07 from washington | August 18, 2010

bought this car in December and it has been in the shop FIVE times now. The car/suv is having motor noise, bad gas milage, blue smoke from exhaust, bogging in the motor, tranny slippage, and noise from water pump. We have had parts replaced with only 2200 miles on it. What the heck? I have only driven KIA's and I am sad to have this going on. I hate to think that this can not be resolved. I KNOW that I am not the only one who is having these types of problems with the motor and other things.

Love this vehicle...

by Edgewater Guy from Denver, CO | April 17, 2010

I wanted a Subaru Outback, but in Denver they are kind of pricey. For the same price that I got this Sportage, I could get a 3 year old Outback with 50,000 miles and no warranty. I just couldnt justify having that risk hanging over me when spending that much money...I plan on owning this vehicle for a long time. Good to know I will be covered... I never thought I would ever ride in a Kia, let alone own one. Saw a commercial on TV and the first thing that grabbed my eye was the price. Started looking at reviews, and saw nothing but good things said. I went to the dealer to drive one and once I did I was sold. Now that I own it, I love it. I broke it in driving from Denver to the ski areas about 70 miles away....in auto mode, the transmission kicks between 3rd and 4th too much trying to maintain speed going uphill....in manual mode, its pretty fun to drive...you can just leave it in 3rd and easily cruise at 70-75mph up the steepest I70 has to offer..redline is 6500rpm...felt very safe running it to 5000-5500 when needing heavy acceleration to keep from getting run over by the people that haul a*s up the hill...23mpg on a round trip to the ski areas and back... The traction control and ABS all work like a charm. This thing plowed through the snow and slush with no problem, and kept a good grip on slippery and snow packed roads. I am looking forward to getting this thing off road a little bit. I know it is not a Sorrento so I can't abuse it, but it looks like it sits just as high, if not higher than an Outback, so it should get me well off the beaten path. It has skid plates underneath the oil pan, and front muffler...hopefully i dont need them, but good to know they are there... If you drive in the city a lot, this vehicle is incredibly easy to park, and has a really tight turning radius. The rear seats fold easily and are very comfortable. When upright, they are adjustable and recline nicely. There is a fold down center arm rest as well. I'll miss the Sirius when the 3 months expires, but I have a lot of music on my mp3 player, and the placement of the usb port is perfect. The stereo itself sounds really good and is easy to use. The climate controls are well placed and easy to use as well. Cup holders are big, and the door pockets can fit a decent size bottle as well... Overall, this car drives well, is comfy, roomy, and a very practical and functional vehicle. If you want to spend at least 5k more for a CRV, RAV4 or Outback, be my guest. I don't think any of those are worth the difference in price.

Excellent value for needs

by Soccer Dad from Rochester, MN | September 22, 2009

Bought brand new and have had this car for six weeks with 3500 miles on it already. Great mix of comfort (I'm 6'2" and 230lbs) and features to fit people or gear, fold down seats are easy and useful.

best car for the money

by sas from Snellville,GA | September 12, 2009

I just love driving this car. Lots of room inside even for my husband who is 6"4. I Love how easy it is to put the back seats down. The reclining seats are also a plus. Easy to get in, perfect suv with lots of room. I love the seatbelt in the back for the middle seat (shoulder strap) thats folds away.Very easy to drive and park. Best car I have owned.