2013 Kia Sportage

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Love my second Sportage!

by Saintsfan from Mississippi | April 5, 2014

I purchased a 2009 Sportage new traded it for a 2013 I don't think I will ever purchase anything else but a KIA Sportgae. The only problem I ever had the amplifier for the sound went out at 15,000 + miles however KIA fixed it no charge & in an efficient amount of time!!

My first Kia and first crossover

by NewtoKia from Burlington, Ontario, Canada | February 17, 2014

I bought the Sportage LX a few months ago after researching several different crossovers. What first drew me to the Sportage was it's sporty, stylish exterior design. Size, fuel economy, features and price are what clinched the deal for me. I've only driven 3,000 KM so far so can't really speak about reliability yet . My Sportage is a light, easy handling vehicle with decent power for the basic, entry level model. After driving minivans for the past 15 years, the Sportage has a wonderful, peppy lightness that I had been missing. The interior is attractive and sensible with everything in a very convenient place for the most part. I do wish the arm rest was placed a bit more forward for us shorter drivers who have the seat placed a bit too far forward for the arm rest to be very useful. Space in the front is a little tight at times when you are wearing your big winter coat but not too bad. Room in back is really quite good and passengers should be quite comfortable. There is good leg room in front and back. I find getting into the car a bit of a challenge even for a 5ft 5 inch woman like me. I often bump or rub my head along the top of the door frame as I get in due to there not being a lot of clearance there. I do wish that the doors had a more solid feel to them. The doors feel almost too thin. Another thing I would change is to make the vehicle more quiet. I find road noise is definitely a problem when on the highways . I am always checking to make sure I don't have a window cracked open a little. I would also wish for a slightly more comfy ride. This vehicle has a VERY sporty suspension which makes for a bumpy ride . It's a little bone jarring at times. Overall while there are things I would change on this vehicle, I do enjoy driving it and feel that it offers good value in a very stylish and well decked out vehicle.

Instrument Panel Failure at <1500 miles

by Retired Consumer from San Diego, California | February 6, 2014

I have a 2013 KIA Sportage Turbo. While the car is comfortable, stylish, has plenty of gadgets, and very good power, gets good mileage, I wonder now about reliability. At somewhere between 1400-1500 miles, the entire Instrument Package failed. Couldn't start the car, didn't have ANY instrument indications, no blown fuses. Estimated repair was 2 weeks because they don't stock this part in the US. Had to ship part from Korea and get programmed somewhere else. Mechanics have never seen this failure. Actually has now been 2.5 weeks and new estimate for getting the car back is now 3 weeks. KIA treated us well, so I am posting this in case anyone else has problems.

Kia Sportage EX

by New car every 10 years! from san diego, ca | January 29, 2014

Only owned for 1 month - so don't know reliability and such... Seems to get about 25 mpg in town driving so far. Love the sneer; love the panoramic roof; love the hidden compartment in the rear cargo area; don't love the very small storage capacity of the Jukebox.

Great AWD on Minnesota's winter roads!

by First Time Buyer Skeptic from St Paul, MN | December 27, 2013

I read a million reviews on every small SUV for about 3 months. I finally set my heart on a Kia Sportage EX. At first I test drove the LX, it was fine but I didn't feel like it had a lot of swag. Thats right, I said swag because I'm 27 and buying my first new car is a BIG deal and I wanted it to be NICE. I'm a designer, so by nature the body style was important to me. I liked the 18" alloy wheels on the EX much more than the 15" hubcaps on LX. (Now you're learning, this = swag) It feels very dominant on the road and you can plow right through a foot of snow, no problem--good clearance. Did I mention the wheels look nice too? One thing I wish the exterior took into consideration is the use of Chrome. It didn't bother me until I bought the all black, not as noticeable on the silver or white. The chrome by the backseat windows is very thick and leaves finger prints and based on trends, I feel it will make the car look dated before it should. Besides grills, most car companies are straying from chrome--would have been nice to tone it down a bit. (not a big deal, just a rant) I had previously read by another reviewer the inside feels like you're driving a fighter jet. I have black exterior and interior--and I agree. Its super awesome, feels really fancy. Still shocked with Kia's quality. However, the little "sporty" dots on the seats are kinda lame--people assume I have heated seats because of it and then I have to let them down gently. (again, minor detail) I'm currently getting 24 MPG, I expected at least 28 MPG, but I come from being cheap and driving a Corolla. Yet I'm still super happy with this car and would not change my mind--which says a lot. Another reviewer mentioned something I can confirm: A strange slow spot in the transmission between 50-60 MPH. I realize this might be due to the eco-friendly engine, but sometimes it catches me off guard how hard I have to press the petal to get it to jump. (random, but worth noting) Overall, I can't wait to take this car on summer road trips and tackle winter storms. I finally feel safe and not terrified driving on MN roads every day. I can't slide out even if I try, the tires and alignments are constantly adjusting to sturdy my slip. When I see another Kia Sportage driver on the road, I feel like we have an unspoken bond because most people haven't found this SUV in MN and its pretty rare to see another one on the road. If you are considering buying one, please do!

best car i have ever owned

by chris of middletown ny from middletown, NY | December 10, 2013

I brought my kia sportage 13 mnths ago I use it going to work and just getting around, excellent gas mileage, love the xm radio do wish the jukebox held more songs. safety is excellent. recently was hit on an icy day, although my car was totaled all I walked away with was a simple bruised hand due to the air bag deployment. no other injuries to myself. cant wait to get another kia sportage.

Awesome!

by IrocedAwesome from Massachusetts | November 3, 2013

Awesome vehicle. I own a 2013 SX turbo and also sports cars. This turbo will keep up with anything. Great looking car, people always think it is an Audi. Drove it to South Carolina from Massachusetts right out of the showroom. Comfortable, no road noise, avg. 28 mpg. Recommend that you drive it yourself, don't listen to what professional test drivers are writing.

Warranty Lover

by Sandie from Amherst, NY | August 28, 2013

I love the looks of vehicle. I previously had another 4 cy vehicle and wanted to go back to 6 cy. This vehicle doesn't come 6 cy. But it has a larger engine and plenty of pickup and very satisfied. The new vehicle only has a 1 CD changer, whereas I'm use to 6 CD changer, and miss that. Not everyone has an ipod. I know I'm "old school", but I enjoy my previous option. It's an important feature I didn't think I'd miss, but I miss. The driver side door panel gets wet. Not on the interior where seating but on the running board. Something is not sealing well and concerned that with standing water it will eventually do damage to interior. Especially since I live north and there is a lot of water and salt in the winter time. I went to dealer and they checked and said seals are okay. Again, it does not come into vehicle where I sit, but concerned about possible corrosion in the future. I love the warranty and would only consider buying a Hyundai or Kia.

So far so good.

by Slush from Wisconsin | July 3, 2013

I've only had my Sportage for a month, so I don't feel qualified to write a review. I test drove a few small SUVs and checked reviews and available vehicles on line for several months before purchasing this one. So far I really like it, it's fun to drive, has a few nice upgrades and has surprising power for a small engine. ( I had a 2003 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3) so I'm amazed that this one seems to have the same get up and go. It's definitely not a luxury ride but for the price it covers what I really need, reliable and AWD are more important to me living up here where the winters are long and the snow is deep.

My first Kia passes the test

by New Kia fan from Charlotte, NC | June 20, 2013

The old expression "you get what you pay for" doesn't necessarily apply to Kia. Their brand has really improved the last few years and the Sportage SX is testament to their focus on engineering, style and value. After test driving several of the EX models first, the performance of the SX turbo model is vastly different. The 280 horses are a dream to have in almost every situation and it makes the Sportage a lot more fun to drive. So far I have had no mechanical problems. As others have said, sight lines are limited due to the large body pillars, but the backup camera is a great feature. And by attaching a small blind spot mirror to both sides of the car, I have no problem seeing other drivers. My gripes are minor but one of them is the cheap feeling of the doors. They close smoothly but are very thin and light. They just feel inadequate and I hope I never have to see how they do in a crash. While MPG is acceptable, my lead foot is only eeking out about 18 MPG in the city. That's probably because I mash the accelerator frequently in order to feel the joy of the turbo. For a 4 cylinder car I expected better mileage. I'm also disappointed that black leather was the only interior option for SX. It just makes everything feel smaller and closed in. Opening the twin sun roofs helps, but I wish a tan or light gray option had been offered. I absolutely hate the horn. It makes a weak sounding 'meep' and I can barely hear it. Not that I want to be a frequent horn blower, but with the number of distracted drivers on smartphones these days, I like being able to remind people that the light turned green. If Kia had not had the SX version with it's high performance engine I probably would not have purchased a Sportage. But all in all a great little crossover SUV that should keep me happy for a few years.