1999 Land Rover Discovery

1999 Land Rover Discovery
Available in 2 styles:  Discovery shown

Overall

Land Rover Discovery II, Best Old Land Rover?

by Disco II Owner from Indianapolis, IN | July 29, 2015

I am absolutely amazed with this vehicle for how old it is in this day and age. I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery Series II and it is BEAUTIFUL. It's stylish and brilliant both on the pavement and in the mud. This is likely the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, It's great in those frozen winter months when you have places to be and cannot get stuck in the snow, and it's great in the summer with TWO sunroofs and the massive pieces of glass that are the windows. It's like being in a rolling breezeway in the summer. There is a nice large, airy, bright cabin, plenty of light on the inside and when it's night time, the entire dash and the shifter will be illuminated in Land Rover's own green. There is only ONE downside to the interior of the vehicle... that's the cup holders, they are small and flimsy, but hey, what overseas vehicle has good cupholders? You can get some Land Rover aftermarket cupholders that will mount on the centre console and they are about the equivalent of the cup holders in a modern day American car, so that's a fixable issue. While the exterior is a beauty, it's also quite big, so be careful with clearance! You may have issues fitting this beast in your garage. It fits in mine with about an inch to spare above. When driving this, you'll feel like you're in a tank, but one with very much control, granted, pulling a "u-ey" is going to be much harder, there's still a sense of tightness in the steering wheel giving excellent control. With the "Command View" and "Stadium Seating" there's excellent view all around in this vehicle. You'll never experience not being able to see around in the city. The seats sit high up and the large windows allow for great visibility. Also, another note about the interior of this is the sound system. You can NOT go wrong with a Land Rover and a sound system. All Land Rovers newer than 1994 at least have a premium sound system. This is like ear candy, no need to have an aftermarket system when you already have a great one built right in. Because there are far less electronics in this vehicle as opposed to a Mark III Range Rover, it's much, much more reliable, I cannot exaggerate that enough, this is the newest BMW era land rover you can buy that doesn't have crazy electronic gremlins. Because the resale value on these are so low, you can get an older "luxury" land rover for a very small fraction of its original price, typically they'll look like they were when they rolled off the factory line. You can't go wrong with one of these, I love my Land Rover Discovery II and I think you would too.

Run away while you can

by Ex LR man from Charleston,SC | September 17, 2010

I purchase this car used at 90,000 miles this car will break your pockets!!!! within a eight month period I had to put 4,000 in repairs for this vehicle. I had to get a new lock actuator , which caused my alarm system to stall my car. I had to replace my alternator. I had to replace my starter. I had to replace several gaskets on the engine. If you want this vehicle be prepared to pay a lot of money in repairs. And have issues with my

Worst car I've ever owned

by Kelly in Chicago from Oak Park, IL | December 11, 2009

Bought this car 6 years old with 60,000 miles on it. Immediately had to replace and repack the front wheel bearings ($800) then the very NEXT YEAR we had to do that again (another $800). The front window is not slanted and doesn't repel stones - it just cracks. I replaced the front window TWICE. The electric was completely shot resulting in no lights in the front cabin. You never knew when the headlight or brake lights would just "go out" for no good reason so I had to check those weekly. The seals underneath leaked badly. I would fix one seal (say the transmission) just to have mechanic tell me the brake fluid was now leaking or the oil pan. It was a mess. Once I put down a white sheet of paper under the car to see how many fluids WERE actually leaking and found out ALL OF THEM were: red (brake fluid), green (tranny fluid) and black (motor oil). NOT a reassuing moment. Also the rubber gaskets around the doors kept peeling off and the gaskets around ALL the windows were constantly peeling - so if it rained you got soaked when it came in from the front windshield. A NIGHTMARE to maintain. I would never own another. MPG? Around 8 mpg on average, maybe 10 if you got lucky. A gas HOG is putting it mildly. Everytime something went wrong with car it was $800+ bc they have "ship" the items from Britain or something and VERY few mech's know how to work on this type car. On the bright side, solid as a tank and super comfy ride plus anything would fit in, including a 52" bigscreen tv once. But nothing made up for the constant maintenance headaches.

Excellent SUV

by semper fi from Lake Tahoe, California | November 22, 2009

I purchased my 99 Disco used with 89k miles. I had heard things about spotty reliablity but there was a consensus that it is very solid, safe, go anywhere vehicle. I have not been dissapointed at all. The interior is lush and appointed as a mercedes or bmw ( I've owned both) and it looks rugged on the outside. I wanted a vehicle I could actually take in the snow and back country (i do alot of mountaineering). I have been amazed by it's offraod prowess. Very quirky british vehicle but has alot of charm and it is fun to drive. I would definately reccomend this to anyone looking foe a solid offraod truck thst can safely carry your family anywhere.

Loving It.

by Sary from New Jerey | September 16, 2009

Love this truck i took a test drive in the 90s but couldn't buy it then but now i got one and it's a great filling when you buy somthing you wanted . and with cash.Love It.

Love it .

by Sary from New Jrsey | September 16, 2009

this is the best vechile I have ever owned. every detail has been considered. i can not say enough good things about it. and the best thing; ever third person that drives by isn't it one. i really feel like i own something special." I known everyone on the road look at my truck and better i do not oue on it , it belongs to me.( NO Payments)

Emotional Rescue

by timjlc from Tuckahoe, NY | December 5, 2008

If you buy a Disco II for practicality (ie, smooth ride, easy to park, good mileage) you're buying it for the WRONG reasons. This car is all about emotion. It is, after all, the original Hummer-only a lot classier, and made much better. The things that are great about the Disco II are also the things that make for criticism. It handles the snow like no other car on the road. (I truly pray for snow each year, then go out and tool around while other SUVs spin haplessly off the road.) But that comes with a downer. As a 4x4 V8 vehicle, it has a rough ride. Yes, you can jump 8-in curbs in a single bound. But you also feel each 8-centimeter bump as though it were the grand canyon. The greatest upside to the Disco II is that you genuinely feel as though you own the road. Last year, I was rear-ended by a Jetta, and I suffered a MINOR crack on the bumper. The other car? Carried away on a flat bead. True story. One suggestion if you have kids. Get a 7-seater. They're a little harder to find, but the jump seats are still the most practical feature I've ever seen in a car. The dual moon roof isn't too shabby either!

Very good car, great off road

by DrViking from West Chester, PA | November 24, 2008

This is an outstanding vehicle. Mine has covered 115,000 miles and has been reliable, quite easy to drive and fun. Great for family vacations! I would definitely purchase one again. I hear that the LR3 is an improvement, aside from fuel mileage.

110,000 miles

by roverboy from tecas | May 31, 2008

It is a little expensive to maintain but lot of fun to drive (regular service intervals). The only major repair was replacing the rear air bags with springs. The high space in the rear allows me to store two adult bicycles inside the vehicle with a special inside floor rack. It will go anywhere and is rock solid. I have the Active Cornering Enhancement (ACE) which levels out curves in the road like nothing else. The ACE is really a "space age" technology"

DO NOT BUY

by Pete from CT and TX | November 15, 2007

my 1999 Disco broke down as often as I had to gas it up. Look for something else unless you don't mind tossing out one thousand dollars each time it is in the shop. Plus many non-dealers do not have the equipement to diagnose your vehicle

Featured Services for this Land Rover Discovery