2004 Land Rover Discovery

Available in 3 styles:  Discovery shown

12 city / 16 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Still on the edge of my seat

by First Land Rover from Green Valley, AZ | December 19, 2012

I have so far enjoyed the Disco2. I own other foreign cars. MG, Porsche, BMW, Volvo. I am not a "new-be" to the quirks of such. This is my first used car and first Land Rover. It is in great body condition with expected wear. It's gas mileage is around the 15mpg range. Not surprising from what I expected. It is comfortable around town and on the highway. I have had some concern with reliability even though it was under the Ford umbrella. I have had persistent lights on the dash: all three at the same time, traction control, decent and ABS. They resent, go off for a few days and return. Relay? I know they are connected. Then I had one occasion where it would not start. The starer motor was quiet while the battery was perfectly charged and all the electrical worked. After I called the tow truck the car started without hesitation. Yes, it was in park initially, when the attempts were made. Why it did not start and then it did within about 15 minutes? No idea. So yes I am on the edge of my seat until I catch on to the Land Rover quirks. Needs running boards so my wife feels comfortable when entering with a dress.

Last of a Good line of Vehicles.

by John from Los Angeles | December 1, 2012

I bought this vehicle because I had one before that got totalled mysteriously.The upgraded engine,4.6 from 4.0 is a powerhouse.I need to get used to the loud clanging of the door locking solenoids once vehicle in motion.Gas milage is much improved. 4.0 was 12.4 mpg. on the 4.6 I get 16.0mpg.all freeway driving.Drive trane on the newer model is a lot quieter than the older 1999.Main engine diagnostic computer resets automatically after problem is recorded.

The Last true Disco II

by Bimmer77 from San Francisco, CA | October 20, 2012

I bought the car from a friend of a friend who was just sick of it. Picked it up because I wanted something that would perform well in snow. That it does very well. If anyone has driven over the Donner pass during a winter storm they can relate. In snow: The AWD does OK but slipping does happen especially in heavy deep snow and ice however locking the differential will really improve your handling and confidence. If you have driven that stretch of 80 on a snow day you will have to negotiate numerous spin outs I have done so and if the road is in particularly bad shape the locking diff really comes in handy. One thing that I have had to get used to is the braking especially in snow the ABS just seems a little sub par. So that is something to be noted. Off Road: This car has done me well off road. From the back roads in Tahoe to the Dessert in Nevada to Launching my Kayak on a sandy beach the thing performs and performs well. I have only had it stuck once in the back roads of Mammoth Mountain and that was because I tried to drive over a 3 foot tall snow bank and only made it halfway over so that all 4 wheels were off the ground. In retrospect that was probably more driver error than anything else I probably should have hit it harder but the clearance isn't as high as the Jeep. I think that getting a 2-3 inch lift on the truck will fix that problem. I have driven through deep streams without a hitch as well with one time a little water seeping through the bottom of the door. Again a little more clearance and this would not have been an issue. Maintenance and Cost of Ownership: This thing is a beast. I call it the beast and it drinks gas like a Beast. I average 6-8 MPG here in the city in San Francisco. Average about 12-14 on the highway with cruise control set at 75. So it is definitely not cheap to drive especially on long hauls. I would also either fill up the tank before long off roading trips or carry an extra 5 gallons of fuel with you as your gas mileage will decrease if you have to push it hard off road. I have owned the beast for 3 years. And put 20k miles on it. So far I have done the brakes, ABS sensors, replaced the tires, replaced the battery, and of course changed the oil. I've easily put $3000 into it since I owned. I don't think that is particularly bad for a car that is almost 10 years old. Cons: The bumper is plastic. It is annoying. I cracked it on a snow bank in 2010 and if I wanted to get that part of the bumper fixed it would cost me $300. It's only cosmetic which leads me to my next point and the reason I won't get it fixed. The paint job from the factory is no bueno. It attracts scratches like nobodies business. Trees branches and air all seem to scratch this thing. I plan on driving it into the ground and really don't care how it looks but it is slightly annoying. This won't be a problem for most people but if you drive it through some narrow trails where you are constantly brushing up against trees and branches and bushes your paint will get scratches. Weird thing happened where the middle rear seat belt seized and made it really difficult to put the back seat down. I could have gotten it fixed for $150 but I just decided to cut the thing. It's rare that I have 4 other people in the car anyway because the back seat is small. The handle on the back door will stick especially after you get it all dusty. It's an annoyance but I carry a can of WD-40 with me at all times now. The windshield wipers suck. Especially in snow. They have way too many crevices in the arm that snow and ice get stuck in rendering the windshield wipers useless after 30-45 minutes. I have also noticed that the windows will get stuck as well. Another annoyance is that the windshield will crack easily but I'm not sure what can be done about that.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Very nice vehicle for my daughter

by Caborider from Santa Ana, Ca | June 5, 2012

Landrover does not make the Discovery anymore; 2004 was the last year. Was replaced by the LR2. My 18 year old daughter and I have been very pleased with the purchase. It is well designed, roomy, not too big but lacks in the fuel economy. It has all wheel drive but no one buys thiese vehicles for fuel economy, right? I like how my daughter is able to sit somewhat high in this type of vehicle which increases her vision while in traffic. And everyone knows that Landrovers are bullet proof!!!

Wouldn't buy another rover.

by Colorado Guy from | April 10, 2011

Poor reliability. electrical problems, speed sensor and emissions problems, engine and transmission problems, money pit.

Xcellent Choice

by Luvmycar from New Orleans, LA | November 29, 2010

I absolutely love this car. The car rides smoothly and I like the fact that maintenance is needed every 5 years or so. I highly recommend this car even though it takes only premium gas....

Purposeful and civilized

by ariz off roader from Scottsdale, AZ | August 19, 2010

I bought mine certified used w/ 12k mi on it. I soon learned how incredible it was off road. I was doing things that defy common sense. It was unnerving at first but after a while my confidence increased and I had everyone else screaming. Its like a Mercedes inside and a Jeep outside. I even drove Jeeps to compare, but all came up so far short in comfort and daily practical usability. This truck is amazing and great on long trips. On the downside, it's value was depreciating $1000/mo and it was in for some kind of unscheduled repair about every 2 months. I had an extended warranty, so that was only an inconvenience, and the customer service was impeccable. The gas mileage is poor, 16 downhill and 12 most everywhere else on premium. But even with the low profile tires/wheels it bests everything else with poise and quiet luxury. It's better off road than on and the worse the conditions, the better it feels. No matter how I abused it, and I tried, it never even got a scratch. It seemed like it was made of Kryptonite. It is so solid that I felt that if the wheels came off at 90 mph I would feel safe. This truck is rugged to the bone, if you really go off road it's cool. Even washboard roads seem like a paved road. The smaller size is perfect for negotiating difficult trails and the break angle is scary good. The wheels will find any available ground and use it no matter how steep, until you are falling against the window. I have a 97 land cruiser now, which is pretty reliable, but it seems crude by comparison in capability. The Rover is intelligent, capable and vault solid, but mine needed lots of attention to keep it up. If you dont go off road get a poser SUV and be happy. This is a seriously capable machine made to be used for some extreme fun and cannot be appreciated unless its put to task.

Landrover Discovery Owner

by Landrover Discovery Owner from Covina, cA | May 16, 2010

This car is comfortable to drive, but extremely expensive to fix. It breaks down every 10-15K miles. The transmission broke at 51K miles. Then it broke again at 70K miles. ABS Modulator breaks often on this vehicle and costs 3K to replace. Brakes go out every 18-20K miles and costs a thousand to fix. The costs of repairs will exceed the cost of purchasing the vehicle.

just love it

by tewo from buffal.ny | December 6, 2009

test drove it fell in luv with it and purchased it. best suv ever owned. one concern bad on gas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of Gertrude, My 04SE

by QuickSilver from Flower Mound, TX | October 27, 2009

I haven't owned this vehicle for too long but it has already won my heart. After owning a sting of European sedans it was time to jump out of my comfort zone into something different. This Discovery fits that bill. I find the interior appointments to be lavish, it offers great commanding view and exemplary performance. It's not a Vette or a Viper and it wasn't meant to be. I haven't missed my Audi A4, BMW 528i, Mitsubishi Evolution IX or Mercedes Benz C43 yet and I suspect I won't. Caveat emptor to future owners, yes it takes premium gas and you'll hover right around 10-12 in the city with the gentliest of driving. But is I can go vernacular slightly "you have to pay to play". No other SUV has the looks and performance of a Land Rover product.

Featured Services for this Land Rover Discovery