2002 Land Rover Freelander

17 city / 21 hwy

Overall

Great SUV

by Joe from | January 30, 2012

These are great cars. We take ours camping all the time. Great in the mountains. Very comfortable. Drive more like a truck than an SUV

Worst car I've ever had

by FreelanderOwner from | July 31, 2011

Don't be fooled by the "Land Rover" title. I have a Freelander myself and at 100,000 miles this cars engine starts constantly overheating due to manufacturer's poor design. All sorts of problems start happening with this car around 100,000 miles. Trust me this car died and left me stranded on the freeway last night. Thus I am car shopping. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I did. It may be luxurious and beautiful, however it is a terrible engine and not reliable whatsoever.

it's a car

by korea guy from Buffalo, ny | November 9, 2009

This Suv is a good car but breaks down to easy. I have had trouble with the ac.Also the engin light has come on way to many times for the smallest things. I would buy a another car if I could.

lots of repairs

by kc freelander owner from denver colorado | July 14, 2009

The Freelander SE is a real nice looking SUV but the repairs are outrages. I wish i would of done a little homework on the car before I purchased it. I like the all wheel drive and it does great in the snow.

Add me to the list, it's as bad as you've heard

by No More Land Rovers for Me from TN | May 30, 2009

I bought this car during its first year being produced in America. I thought it was an attractive truck for the money, & was impressed when the salesman drove us up onto their on-site obstacle course. Being fairly petite, it fit my size well. I never felt overwhelmed by its size and it handled very well. My tall husband, though, could never adequately see out of the windshield. During the 2nd year I owned it, the windshield wipers started blowing out the fuses when used at anything but the lowest setting. Soon the power locks went out and the power windows failed. I drove around in my car with these annoying problems for years because I didn't want to pay hundreds or thousands to fix things I could work around. This year, the car began utterly falling apart. First the air intake had to be replaced for $1000. My car began overheating and leaking coolant, and even after LR service replace the thermostat, it continued to overheat and leak coolant and the engine started making a strange noise and completely died. My non-LR mechanic told me the intake manifold ($1600 part) was also dead so he couldn't even start the car to diagnose the engine problem, though he could clearly see fluid leaking from the main gasket. So my 6.5 y/o 70k mi car is an attractive-looking shell that's dead beyond any reasonably-priced fix besides a total engine replacement. I've fled far from British engineering and have purchased an 08 Toyota Sequoia (JD Powers class winner for dependability), while I figure out how to dump my Freelander parts. I'm sick reading the other reviews here detailing the same problems with main gaskets and engine failure. PLEASE be warned. Everything they say about Land Rovers IS true! Don't be fooled by their cool styling or rugged image. If you buy a Land Rover, you do so at your own risk.

Nice little SUV if you've got some cash

by Tim from Tewksbury | April 1, 2009

I bought this SUV because I needed an AWD vehicle at a low price point. The freelander fits that description when compared to many other SUV's. I like the styling, performance and handling. I've had mine for about 2 years. During that time I've had cam shaft seals break(tow truck), needed a new thermostat and housing(tow truck), and had to have all the timing belts and other related parts replaced(tow truck). We're not talking a trivial amount of money here. You're biggest problem will also be finding a good foreign auto mechanic who can service you. Unless of course you want to pay dealer labor rates;). The parts are very expensive and regular oil changes anywhere can run around 70.00+. Synthetic oil and non-standard filters. All that being said I do enjoy it but do wish I had purchased something less expensive to maintain. Don't look for a bargain with this vehicle.

Beautiful SUV

by Scudder from Los Angeles | November 14, 2008

Beautiful car and handles great. I have loved this car though I will admit it was not as reliable as my Toyota.

Never Let Me Down

by MusicMan1 from Maryland | November 3, 2008

I had this vehicle for 6+ years and drove it 90+K in the best and worst of weather and it never let me down. I enjoyed it so much I bought another one. I am a professional musician, therefore I drove the Freelander many miles in varied conditions, roads and weather. My advice is to buy this vehicle if you understand that it is an SUV and should be driven and maintained like one. There are many people who drive SUV like sport cars and wonder why they have problems.....

Same issues as the rest!

by landroverhater from dallas,texas | September 28, 2008

I bought this car used with 15k miles on it. At 20k the transmission blew. at 25k I had to replace all the brakes. Now I am at 35k and I feel this transmission is about to go too and now I am out of warrenty.

Piece of junk

by Strand Rover from Ohio | September 2, 2008

I was a big LR fan till the Freelander. The Freelander is a total lemon. Mine needs $12K+ to be road worthy again. All the horror stories are true. For those stating they haven't had problems, give it time. Window motors deficient, sunroof problems, coolant resivoir and thermostat leaks, transmission didn't last 75K miles. Those are all specific problems I have had with my Freelander. Futher, LR doesn't make any parts for repair. Didn't know about that one, huh? That means even the most minor defect or maintainence results in a huge repair bill. The sunroof doesn't seat and seal itself- LR dealer wants $1400 to replace. This, despite the fact that the sunroof is about 98% operational. I cannot warn you in strong enough terms to avoid this vehicle, regardless of date of manufacture. Don't be sucked into the LR brand like I was.

Featured Services for this Land Rover Freelander