2008 Land Rover LR2

16 city / 23 hwy

Overall

Solid so far!

by NEPA LR2 Guy from North Eastern PA | August 6, 2014

I purchased my 2008 LR 2 last year with 48k on it and now have almost 76k. I will average about 35k per year. It has been very reliable so far. I drove it a lot in rough snow and it handled as well as any SUV I've owned, and I've owned Subaru's and Pathfinders. Overall it's been a very solid and reliable car. We'll see if it stands up to the 150k mileage I plan to put on it. So far so good.

Never had a problem!

by LlamingtonRover from Madison, WI | February 29, 2012

I purchased my 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE in November of 2010. I got a an amazing price for it, and it was loaded. I have changed the oil twice, and have put about 17,000 miles on it since I purchased it. I don't have any complaints besides the gas mileage, but then again, it is a Land Rover, so I should have known what I was getting when I purchased it. :)

Would not buy another

by LR hater from Phoenix | December 16, 2011

Not worth the money to buy the name. Poor road handling, good off road. Poor performance for the brand

Doesn't Live Up 2 What You Would Expect

by Landrover_Doctor from Washington, DC | September 12, 2011

I purchased a 2008 Land Rover LR2 in 2009. I've had the vehichle almost 3 years and I am ready to get rid of it. Pros: 1. most people never have seen it and always ask questions 2. Has been dependable 3. Great moonroofs 4. Bragging rights that you drive a Land Rover 5. Excellent is snow!!! 6. Parking sensors standard Cons: 1. Fuel is terrible (after 3 years I am just getting 18.3 mpg I should have bought a Range Rover if I wanted really horrible mpg) 2. Tires and mount/balance are at least $1200 everytime you need a set 3. 2nd moonroof does retract 4. small legroom for rear passengers and trunk space when hauling people or items 5. Only 6-way power driver seat and 4-way passenger seat (what a serious joke for an expensive SUV ) 6. Bluetooth/Xenon headlights are not standard 7. Accessories are very expensive and installation at the dealerships is very expensive 8. the mesh moonroof shade still lets a lot of sun in 9. Radio has glitches sometimes whe trying to find certain stations 10. No powerlift even as an option 11. No locking glovebox 12. Windshield wipes blades are extremely expensive and the wipes speed is still slow when on high speed and makes visibility in a hard rain or snow storm unbearable This SUV has been just ok. We have not had many service issues however it sounds loud and engine is very noticeable with the radio off. LR2 require premium fuel and replacing battery and remotes are very Costly. If you dont live in New England or a very snowy climate you will not appreciate this SUV, it would be a total waste of money.

GPS and Brakes

by Joe from Ridgeland, MS | July 7, 2011

I purchase the LR2, lightly us4ed and love the quite ride. Gas milage is good on the highway, but the GPS system is about ten years behind. The manual is all but impossible to understand and it state that it can not guide you through section of town that have been mapped for over twenty years. I even payed for an update, but it was no better. I notice that I got a lot of black powder on the wheels from the brake pads and so I had a full break job preformed at the dealer. The black powder comes out on the aluminium wheel just as bad, requiring washing them at least once a week. It seem that they must be made to wear away quite fast. I might add that on the break job I had to replace the rotors, as I was told that even though they were not damaged, they could not be turned. I was raised in the auto industry and feel that we either have a pig in a poke or we need a new product in the break pads.

a serious truck

by vtskibum from ny, ny | September 24, 2010

Must say that after driving on hyway as well as back roads, this truck is worth it. handles great in snow of any depth as I found getting out of a parking spot after being plowed-in by Municipal snow plows overnite. Got right out!( after getting in from passenger side) A few cons I noticed: no accessory position to open/close windows without starting car....have to start it to do anything! trunk release is akward: need to hold 2 buttons simultaneously for about 4-5 seconds before it releases.?? whats up with that?? also, could use a center console instead of 3 bottle holders

LR2 is a great value

by Cobrak from Greensboro, NC | October 13, 2009

Great ride, very good handling, content and economy above average with LR looks. Acceleration is adequate and still strong off road with All Terrain system.

Usability of a truck, luxury of a Jaguar

by JEAR Watches from Long Beach, CA | March 11, 2009

Land Rover is well known in America as being a status symbol, so that part was easy. Unlike the Jag though (and unlike most Land Rover owners) we wanted a capable vehicle. Something able to get the groceries and scale a 45 degree slippery rock face. The dealership takes you on the test course (every dealerships is different) and show you the offroad prowess of the vehicle. It shows the chassis strength, the approch and depart angles, and its abillity not to roll. To see if it really performs you need an offroad park. Your trip there will becomfortable. The seats are supportive and adjustable. The cabin is quite. Gagets galore you will be kept very busy just trying to figure it all out at first, but everything really does make since. I've never been offroading in my life, but it is almost as if the little LR2 is smiling. Glad to be one of the lucky few that ever gets to see dirt. For a novice like myself it is a bit scary. I start going through the trails not knowing what this vehicle can do. Lucky for me Land Rover knows that not every person who buys one of these machines is an experienced explorer. How do I know this? I didn't ask them, but I do assume because they have put in it what I call the "stupid switch" because it makes someone with even as little experience as I do look positively BRILLIANT! Which is allways good. Sometimes we see a Jeep or two at the bottom of a big hill. They are locking in their diferentials, puting it in low gear, analysing the hill. We patiently wait our turn. They eventually get up. We then simply steamroll up the hill. As not to be rude I slow down halfway up. I love my 'Stupid Switch.' We get a lot of stares throughout the day, no doubt a mix of the prestige of the vehicle, the exuberent amount of mud that is on the vehicle, and the fact that it still only has the dealer plates. When we do eventually leave the ride back home is as relaxing as the day was thrilling. Turn on the seat heaters and automatic air conditioning, flick on the cruise control, and just melt into the seat. The car is still quite dirty and the looks get stranger the closer we get to the city, but they are well deserved. Our LR2 is still brimming mirror to mirror.

LR2: Versatile, Capable, Fun, Efficient

by Outdoor Enthusiast from Chicago, IL | December 19, 2008

Before I owned the LR2, I drove a 2000 BMW X5 for about 8 and a half years. I need a vehicle that I can hall my two kids and Labrador in, drive in any condition, and still carry presence with co-workers and clients. Out of all the small luxury SUVs out on the market today, I chose the LR2, and I feel my decision was a good one. In July, of 2008, I purchased a red LR2 with a beige interior, 2,380 miles on it. As a utility vehicle, it serves its purpose well. It has plenty of interior and trunk space, especially with the seats folded down. Mine also has a roof rack, which I recommend, as they can be very useful. As far a driving goes, this car is pretty nimble, although not as confident on road as the BMW X3 or Acura RDX. In the snow, it feels right at home. It snowed 8 inches last week, and as I drove to work before the plows were out, and I had no trouble. I find the Terrain Response System, which lets you change vehicle dynamics, is a feature you never thought you would need until you drive without it. It is such a nice feature, and is incredibly easy to use. The navigation is the easiest system I have ever used, and the screen doesn't seem to accumulate fingerprints. The interior is beautiful. The dashboard looks businesslike, and is refreshed by a very shiny strip of wood trim that continues onto the door panels. The interior plastics and leather seem to be high quality, and show no wear of tear. At 17,000 miles, their have been no problems with the car. Everything runs smoothly and sounds solid. Gas millage is good. I get 18-19 mpg in the city, 26-28 on the highway. One thing I like about this car is that although it is a Land Rover car, it is not flashy car. People hardly realize that they are in a Land Rover. I really like that, and I really like this car.

Great car

by Happy LR2 Owner from Pittsburgh, PA | December 18, 2008

Having owned this car for 4 months now, I can honestly say I'm in love. Partly due to the styling of the standard model and partly from the optional cold weather and lighting packages that take luxury to another level. The interior controls are very easy to use and well positioned, aside from the adjustability of the seat which may bother shorter drivers (under 5'4"). The wood grain detailing is very attractive, the moonroof is great and the Bose sound system is superb. The heated seats and turn sensitive lights are great features that come with the packages. The cons are the premium gas/low gas mileage and lack of inital acceleration. The car climbs hills easily but lacks some of the pick-up of the BMW X3. The handling is smooth and the cabin is very quiet. Overall, I absolutely love this car and would purchase it again in a heartbeat.