2013 Land Rover LR2

17 city / 24 hwy

Overall

Great Buy! Best kept secret on the road

by Winter guy from Buffalo, New York | February 12, 2016

I bought my LR2 recently as I live in Buffalo and had a mercedes e350 which was gorgeous but very low to ground...especially considering that I live in Buffalo Ny where the snow really piles up pretty high on the roads. I wanted more clearance, capability and off roading chops as my previous car before the mercedes was a jeep. I did some research and found out about the LR2'S. Almost all of the expert reports I read on older models (up to 2008) were overwhelmingly negative and seemed to indicate that those years had problems however owners still seemed to love them. I found out that Land Rover seemed to switch to a new engine for the 2013 year and apparently fixed all the past problems and I loved the classic boxy style as Rovers are now veering toward more curved and rounded styles which are a betrayal brand trademark if you ask me. Ive always admired the boxy classic lines of the older Rovers, so once I'd heard LR2 production would stop in the US, I jumped on the chance to own such a unique car. Ive been extremely pleased about my purchase every since. Its a sharp looking vehicle that gets alot of compliments everywhere I go. People are always impressed and curious about it because theyre honestly pretty rare here. The exterior is old school but classy, the interior is simple but very understated and tasteful. It could use more compartments for storage but overall less is more. The seats feel commanding, as they sit high and feel similar to being in a cockpit with full visibility all around you and an arm rest which looks inspired by plane seating. The leather is good quality and the blue tooth works well. The cars engine is vastly improved and you feel the eagerness of the turbo ready to move you along. It actually is a pretty quick car despite the modest engine numbers as a result of the new turbo engine. The car handles well and most importantly for me here in my snowy climate, it is an absolute BEAST in the snow. I also have a heated steering wheel, seats and heated windows. In addition the car is equipted with a winter function which automatically raises the windshield wipers of the window to prevent freezing in cold temps. The sunroof is a nice touch and parking sensors work efficiently. Just an overall pleasure to drive and this is coming from a car guy who's owned alot of different cars. Not sure why these never caught on in the US (probably because of lukewarm reviews from the so called experts, reputation tarnishing thanks to issues with the earlier models and the emergence of the evoque and discovery which are mechanically almost exactly the same but both softer and more feminine looking departures of the rugged brands look...and also more expensive), but thanks to production stopping and its unpopular status states side, you have an opportunity to grab a steal of a car that's unique from the Rovers that everyone else drives (Range, Evoque, Discovery) and a great deal. I couldnt be happier.

Best kept secret on the road

by NorthStar from Minnesota | January 21, 2015

Nobody seems to know about these. Shares drivetrain and underpinnings with Range Rover Evoque and the soon to arrive Discovery Sport. Unless you need to drive a Land Rover in the very latest body style, this is nearly identical, mechanically to the others at a much lower cost. Serious off road capability that is better than the usual Euro-SUVs which we also carefully considered and drove. Because the rear doesn't slope down, it has more room to carry stuff in the back. High, upright driving position is best in class and you can actually see all the way around. I think the interior is the most beautiful in this segment. Lady Grantham might agree.

2013 LR 2 FROM BRITISH MOTORS SAN FRANCISCO

by Jack Sarfatti from San Francisco | July 23, 2014

I got this car for my British lady friend of 18 years just in time as the 1998 Ford Explorer with 145,000 miles on it broke down seriously only two weeks later. She loves it. Small enough for San Francisco city driving, good for California coastal roads. Lots of torque, decent on gas. The LR2 was a certified dealer loaner car 6 months old with 4,300 miles on it. Comes with a 6 year/100,000 mile warranty, got extra ding repair & tire wheel replacement 5 year policy as this car is parked on street and many San Francisco roads are worse than those in Syria and Baghdad after an IED goes off. Other than a tank, the Land Rover is a prudent choice. My other car is a 2007 Jag XJL with only 22K original miles with private garage on Russian Hill.

Love my LR2

by Land Rover Convert from Rhode Island | July 4, 2014

I purchased my first Land Rover in May. We've put a few thousand miles on the LR2 and absolutely love it. Perfect size for a small family/associated gear. Smart, stylish and comfortable interior. Handles extremely well in town and on the highway. Windows provide excellent, unobstructed vision. Service at my local (RI) Land Rover dealership is tops. In short, buying the LR2 was a great choice.

Awesome vehicle

by AZ Trail Runner from Phoenix, AZ | June 21, 2014

The LR2 is amazingly fun to drive! With the panoramic sunroof and sitting up so high, I feel like I am embarking on an adventure every time I get behind the wheel. Although not as refined as my Lexus SUV, the LR2 has everything one would expect in a luxury vehicle, with unparalleled off-road capability. I bought from Flatirons Land Rover even though I live in another state, and was really, really pleased with that dealership!

new LR3

by SUV buyer from chicago il | September 27, 2013

Just purchased the 2013 LR2. I am very happy with the car. I owned an X3 and this is in the same league at a cheaper price. I was surprised how quick this car feels from 0-60 as well. Nice interior and large enough for two car seats.

New to Land Rover

by sib1948 from Scottsdale,AZ | May 23, 2013

Just purchased a 2013 Land Rover LR2 HSE. This car is amazing in quality for the price and very peppy with the new 2L turbocharged engine. Ride quality and 6 speed auto transmission very smooth. As offload capable as her bigger siblings. Should be fuel efficient, but have not driven enough to confirm. Only mid sized SUV crossover other then the old style Jeep offerings that are truly offload capable. Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti are no match. Go for a test drive and you'll see what I mean.

Uses car for Off-roading

LR2

by Car Enthusiast from Dallas Tx | December 27, 2012

Very Comfortable, with great performance. Extremely reliable with great value for your money. I would recommend the LR2 for anyone who loves the power of a Turbocharged engine, or the stability of all wheel drive, with enough size, comfort, and safety for the whole family.

Range Rover for price of a Land Rover

by Art on from Suffolk Birginia | December 19, 2012

Coming from England I have been fortunate enough to own over the years 7 new Land Rover to Range Rover Cars also XJS jags , BMs, And more recently a couple of High Spec Audi TTs. At 62 years of age I have just taken delivery of a new 2013 LR 2 with a few select extras. 19 inch wheels, navigation, cold climate pack and Dogi Radio. This latest 2013 LR2 with its new 2l turbo engine is the Best buy I have made in all my years of driving cars more than 3 X the value. Go to Phillips in VA beach ask for Alan Revington and Say Blounts sent you. Alan is also English.