2008 Land Rover LR3

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great SUV

by desert rat from Abu Dhabi, UAE | October 29, 2013

I bought this vehicle in 2008 as a dealer demo car in Dubai, UAE with about 2500Km on the odometer. We now have about 125,000 km (77,600 mi) on it. My wife and I had just moved to Abu Dhabi from Washington, DC and we wanted a rugged 4x4 we could take to the desert on the weekends and do the school runs during the week. We had lived in Qatar previously and owned a Nissan Patrol…which was a fantastic off roader but, to put it gently, not very refined. This SUV has been outstanding. We have the model with the 6 cylinder 4 liter Ford engine and I will admit it is a bit underpowered but has a very good torque band so works well off road. It has fine highway manners and we use it regularly to travel between Abu Dhabi and Dubai (136 Km) and it keeps up with the traffic traveling 140 kph (86 mph). around town is great as it has enough presents to not allow other SUV’s to intimidate us as we maneuver through traffic and great visibility to see the myriad of smaller cars buzzing around. In the desert the LR keeps up with our friends in their Patrols and Land Cruisers…I even have a few pictures of me pulling some of the more adventurous out of the dunes…but it is a very heavy vehicle and suffers in the sand for that reason. Disengaging the traction control and using the very amazing all terrain system lets us go most places the others go but I can’t climb dunes like the much lighter and more powerful Japanese 4x4’s. The interior is spectacular, a good balance of luxury and practicality. I am an architect so I think that may have something to do with the very Bauhaus form/function aesthetic of the LR3.

It just feels great!

by Back to the Rovers Again! from New York, NY | April 16, 2013

I recently purchased the LR3 after an exhaustive search using on-line sellers. I was just about to purchase one from a dealer but had the feeling that this car just wasnt right. Went home and went back on the web and found the car of my dreams at another dealership. The problem was that the dealer was closing in about an hour and 15 minutes and was quite a distance from my house. My sister convinced me that we could make it. The car was simply beautiful! I put a deposit on it after only sitting inside ( I know that's a mistake). It wasn't even detailed yet and the interior and exterior was impeccable! Just one owner and very low miles. I purchased the car and have been happy ever since. This is my 3rd land rover that I have owned and I know the gas mileage is not great and the repairs can be costly but I feel that I am at home once again especially after coming out of a minivan. Right now, I only drive it on the weekends but every weekend feels like an adventure in it. Thanks Cars.com.

Nice car!

by Landrover enthusiast from NC | March 12, 2013

Am excited with this LR3. Drove to MD a week after i got it most comfortable ride ever. Used the 3rd row seats was difficult to find space for luggage while using the seats. Will need to get a roof carriage. Also need to get a side step as it is high off the ground. Love the bluetooth feature. The speedometer is confusing though gauge is in increments of 10mph instead of 5. My husband got 2 speeding tickets when he thought he was going 75. He was going 80. Lol

Excellent

by jmjwaustin from Rockinham, NC | June 4, 2012

I really have enjoyed by Land Rover. All what its advertised to be. Great automobile. Gas mileage is not all that great 14 to 17 but better than my suburban.

Wonderful SUV for any type of weather

by Car Dude from League City, Texas | March 28, 2012

This is the best SUV we have ever owned. The air suspension makes for an incredible ride even on the most imperfect streets. Handling is precise and quick, and with a turning ratio that is superior to any other SUV in the market with all-wheel drive. Overall, great quality, with no problems to report at all. Hope it will stay this way passing 50K miles. Very pleased with gas mileage for the over 5,000 lbs of mass, averages 20mpg in the highway at a max speed of 80 mph...not bad for the smooth 4.4 V8 with an outstanding 6-speed transmission.

2008 LR3

by Chris from | March 28, 2012

Got rid of a 2004 Discovery II. Engine went with only 60,000 miles on it. Got engine rebuilt and traded in on the 2008 LR3. Many improvments have been made. More luxurous, while maintaining the rugged off road look of the Land Rover Brand

Best SUV ever made!

by Amazing SUV from Scottsdale, AZ | August 3, 2011

I come from a very wealthy background and I have previously owned a Mercedes M and GLK, Audi Q7, Lexus LX, BMW X5, Acura MDX, Land Rover Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, and a Hummer H2 and H3, and this is the BEST out of all those. It is reliable, comfortable, and all-around fantastic. Even though it doesn't have all the technology like some of the others, it is much better in almost every category. I would recommend this to business men, off-roadies, and soccer moms. Even though it is in the higher-end market, it is worth every penny.

Family Friendly!

by Loving My Land Rover from Naples, FL | May 24, 2011

My husband and I had a difficult time finding the right...3rd Row...SUV. This vehicle is not only large enough for family of 5 & friends, it is safe and secure! We wanted a higher end car that would deliver the performance we needed. I read that this is not your typical car to use as a "mom taxi", however I have beg to differ with that review. It isn't as much as a gas gozzler as most think. Enjoy enjoy enjoy! Drive this vehicle and you will purchase it for sure!

Serious SUV

by Rich from Brick NJ | July 15, 2010

This is an excellent suv. It has a hugh cargo capacity. Handles like a sportd car towes like it dosen't even know it is towing. Hugh visability. We have used this for beach driving on a remote island and it is great. It has given us 14mpg in town and 21+ on the highway. We have had 4 Jeeps prior to this and although the Jeeps were good we like this much better.

Best SUV I've ever owned - by far

by R'elise me from California | July 9, 2010

I've put this car through a lot of pretty hard off road, highway and city driving. I've rock crawled over very difficult terrain, I've towed my race car to many events and I'm an agressive highway driver in general. This SUV just never disappoints. It's been utterly reliable, the dealer experience is on par with MBZ and Porsche and all the service has been included with the car with exception of the brake pads which are still good after 22k hard miles. This SUV just does everything so well, I can't imagine a better evolution of this car with the exception of more refinement in the transmission and more HP which the current model does provide (but unnecessary IMO - and I like fast cars). The 2008 has the best interior unless you want the newer look which I think trades functionality for urban chicness. After owning a Mercedes, BMWs, the Honda truck, and having driven the Q7, GL, Lexus and Escalade this SUV stands out as the the most balanced between luxury, function and style. One more thing - NOONE makes an SUV that seats 7 large adults as comfortably as the LR3. Not even the Escalade compares in that respect. And offroad, only the Porsche can compare, but that SUV is very small inside. As for gas mileage, I get 19mpg going 75-100mph hwy and 15 city so disregard the EPA estimates. NONE of the SUV's I've had could beat those numbers. Not even my old Honda Element did better and that thing was a tin can in comparison.

Featured Services for this Land Rover LR3