Land Rover's LR3 can hold up to seven, and the only engine available is a Jaguar-derived 300-horsepower, 4.4-liter V-8 that's been changed to handle severe offroad conditions. Terrain Response technology has five terrain settings for on-road to extreme offroad conditions. The LR3 competes with the BMW X5, Audi Q7 and Mercedes-Benz ML-Class on the road, but the Hummer H2 is probably its best competition when it comes to high-end offroad prowess.
New for 2009
The LR3 has HSE and step-up HSE LUX trim levels. Two-row seating is now standard in LR3s, with the option of three-row availability on HSE and HSE LUX. (For 2008, three-row seating was standard.) For 2009, 19-inch aluminum wheels are standard.
The upright, angular LR3 has rectangular rear quarter windows and uses a monocoque structure. Short overhangs and a large greenhouse are familiar touches, along with a face and a split tailgate that echo the company's flagship Range Rover. A power sunroof and separate rear glass roof panels are installed.
- Body-colored wheel arches, front and rear bumpers, lower tailgate and liftgate handle
- Standard 19-inch aluminum wheels
For 2009, LR3s have standard two-row seating; third-row seating becomes a trim-based option. Rear passengers enjoy stadium-style seating, and the second- and third-row seats fold flat.
A rotary switch selects from five Terrain Response settings. One is for normal driving, a second is for slippery conditions and the remaining three are offroad settings for mud, sand and rock crawling.
- A DVD-based navigation system with offroad capability available
- Standard leather seating surfaces for the first and second rows
- Standard eight-way power-adjustable driver and front passenger seats
- Standard sunroof
- Standard 240-watt Harman Kardon nine-speaker sound system
Under the Hood
Enlarged from a Jaguar engine, the 4.4-liter V-8 develops 300 hp and drives a six-speed automatic transmission. Permanent four-wheel drive is standard. A height-adjustable air-spring suspension is standard.
Standard safety equipment includes:
- Antilock brakes
- Electronic parking brake
- Front, side-impact and side curtain airbags for first and second rows
- Side curtain airbags for third row when 7 Seat Comfort Package is included
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||January 2, 2009|
|Sara Lacey||Mother Proof||April 13, 2009|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Land Rover LR3
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.