Land Rover's venerable Range Rover can tackle tough off-road terrain that would foil less-capable SUVs, yet it still has the cachet to warrant a front-and-center parking space at an upscale hotel. Much of the Range Rover's style and off-road-ready hardware has carried over to the automaker's less expensive Range Rover Sport.
To be clear, the Range Rover is unrelated to the five-seat Range Rover Sport.
New for 2012
The Range Rover Sport can have a power liftgate with a selectable opening height, and the stereo systems gain more speakers with the count now reaching up to 17. There's also hard drive music storage, improved iPod connectivity and Bluetooth streaming audio. The navigation system sees changes including updated voice activation. The rear entertainment system gains additional connectivity means.
The Range Rover Sport features a two-bar grille and a large air intake. Exterior features include:
- Standard 19-inch alloy wheels with low-profile tires
- Standard skid plates
- Standard rear spoiler
- 20-inch wheels optional
- Optional adaptive headlights swivel to better illuminate turns
A 5-inch LCD screen within the instrument cluster houses an information display. The Range Rover Sport's five-person interior is trimmed with simulated metal pieces; real wood trim is also available. Heated leather seats and power-adjustable side bolsters for the front seats are optional. Interior features include:
- Standard navigation system
- Optional rear-seat entertainment system
- Optional Alcantara seat inserts
- Optional heated rear seats
- Optional Harman Kardon premium stereo
- Optional cooled box for drinks, etc.
Under the Hood
Two 5.0-liter V-8 engines are offered. Mechanical features include:
- Standard 375-horsepower V-8 makes 375 pounds-feet of torque
- Available 510-hp, supercharged V-8 makes 461 pounds-feet of torque
- Both engines drive a six-speed automatic transmission
- Available active locking rear differential
- Capable of fording up to 27.5 inches of water, according to Land Rover
An available Vision Assist Package includes a surround camera system, which gives the driver a full view around the Range Rover Sport. Safety features include:
- Standard antilock brakes
- Standard side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard electronic stability system with rollover mitigation technology
- Standard front and rear parking sensors
- Standard rear-seat child-safety seat anchors
- Optional adaptive cruise control maintains a preset distance between the Range Rover Sport and a car in front of it
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Sport.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range