Land Rover's Range Rover SUV is offered with a supercharged V-8 or a naturally aspirated V-8, both derived from Jaguar engines that use drive-by-wire throttle control. It occupies a unique corner of the market; its closest competitor is the Mercedes-Benz G-Class. The Range Rover Sport model is listed separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2010
New V-8 engines, subtle styling updates and new virtual gauges are the major changes for the Range Rover. The base engine grows to 5.0 liters from 4.4 liters, and horsepower increases on the base version to 375. The supercharged version increases to 5.0 liters from 4.2 liters and horsepower jumps to 510 from 400.
Range Rover gets subtle changes to its headlights, grille and front bumper but retains its traditional appearance. Ground clearance measures 8.7 inches, but that can rise for off-road treks.
- Clamshell hood
- Horizontally split tailgate
- 19- or 20-inch alloy wheels
The Range Rover seats up to five. The interior can be trimmed in luxurious leather and genuine wood. The conventional instrument cluster has been replaced by a 12-inch thin film transistor screen that has virtual gauges and graphic displays that can be customized by the driver. It changes displays when the 4WD Low is engaged.
- Standard three-zone automatic air conditioning
- Standard touch-screen navigation with Bluetooth compatibility
- Optional backseat DVD entertainment system
- Optional backup camera
- Optional stainless steel pedals
Under the Hood
Two new 5.0-liter V-8s are available. The naturally aspirated V-8 produces 375 horsepower and 375 pounds-feet of torque. Land Rover also offers a supercharged version that generates 510 hp and delivers 461 pounds-feet of torque.
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Terrain Response adjusts SUV's reaction to various types of terrain
- Standard airbags include front-impact, front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, side curtain airbags for all outboard occupants and a driver's knee airbag
- Antilock brakes
- All-terrain Dynamic Stability Control