1998 Lexus GS 400

Available in 1 styles:  GS400 4dr Sedan shown

17 city / 23 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

You Can't Go Wrong With This One!

by Globe Trotter from Atlanta, GA | May 20, 2014

I inherited this car. It was passed down within my family so I knew the history. It has been nothing but great to me. I keep up the maintenace and thats really all you have to do. I am now in the process of updating it to keep me from buying a new car. I would like to add an auxuliary port to play digital music instead of replacing the radio for example. I learned a lesson from a guy at Jiffy Lube getting his oil changed on his '88 Chevy Pickup with over 300,000 miles. He told me he gets 1 major thing done to the vehicle once a year and keeps the oil changed regularly. I have applied that to this vehicle and its getting better with age. So far I have had to replace the starter and the blower for the a/c, heater as well as the brake pads and rotors. At 181,000 miles it still purrs like the lion it is and going strong. Nothing major wrong with except wear and tear on the interior. I do wish it had more storage compartments, but I do keep I lot of unncessary stuff in it. My advice, buy one, or just get a Lexus in general.

Best car yet!

by Themblues from Walnut Creek, CA | January 26, 2012

Like another reviewer, I came from a '92 SC400 which I loved to death. That car was low, sleek and fast. Got it for a song and drove that one from 120K to 185K. A few problems, but it was after all, the 1st year of that model. So I decided to take a chance on a 4-door (the SC made me a Lexus lover for life.) All I can say is WOW! My dad got an LS 430 before I got my GS, so that helped me in my decision (the LS has, without a doubt, the most well-designed interior of any car made.) When I buy a car, the 4 most important aspects of the car are: comfort, reliability, performance and value. The GS sits at the apex of those three things. Yes, you can get more "road feel" from a BMW. Yes, you have more "cache'" with the Mercedes. However, if you want the perfect blend of all things, look no further than the GS. The first time I ever test drove a GS I thought it was the most comfortable car seat I had ever sat in. Know what? This is still the case with the only exception being the 2007+ Mercedes S/CL. I bought my GS in 2006 with 85,000 miles on it. Now, five years later, I have over 140,000 miles and it is running like a top. For the late 90s, the interior design is absolutely top-notch. It's so good that they used a very similar design in the LS 430 and the 2007+ Toyota Camry. The performance of the car is really second to none in it's price range. Again, your BMW M and your Mercedes AMG will beat it, if you would like to spend the extra 40%. Trust me this thing is fast enough and handles like a dream. Overall, to date, this is the best car I've owned!

Hooked for life.

by ThomasGS4 from Flower Mound, TX | June 11, 2011

Coming from a '94 SC400, I thought I knew what I was getting into since they basically have the same engine. Boy was I in for a shock. This car has loads of power and handles like a dream. I bought her used in 2009 and have only had a few repairs. I will literally drive this car until the wheels fall off. Then, I'll put them back and keep going.

Tons of Power with a smooth feel

by topshoota from yonkers new york | December 28, 2006

i bought my gs400 used with 111,000 on the clock and the car runs great. i had to replace the altenantor buts thats about it. i love the way it feels and rides.

98 GS400

by canon from Chicago | July 19, 2006

I bought the car when it was 2 years old with 30,000 miles. I now have over 195,000 miles and I have not had one problem with it and I drive 110 miles round trip every day. The reason I gave it 3 stars for handling is the wheel shimmy that never seems to go away and it could be a little tighter. When Im done with this one I definitely plan on getting another one. I have sold my family on the Lexus line which they all own a Lexus now.

1998 Lexus GS400

by AJ400 from HNL, Hawaii | June 7, 2006

Got it when it first came out. Love the way it looks and the attention it get on the road when first came out. As a royal Toyota/Lexus family, we had a few Cressidas and Camrys and the first gen LS400 and also other Toyotas. To our suprise, the GS is not as trouble free as we ecpected it to be. Nothing major but maybe its cause its the first year for the 2nd gen GS, but then we had first yr of the last gen Cressida, Lexus LS400, they were TOTALLY trouble free, only oil chg every 3k miles thats it. Would I buy this car again? Yes, but the second yr tho. Wish Toyota would be making Cressida again, thats the best. The replacement Avalon, which we also have is good, but its just Cressida is a much better. Looking at the new GS430 but waiting for the bigger V8.

Featured Services for this Lexus GS 400