2009 Lexus GS 460
Lexus' midsize GS 460 sport sedan adopts a V-8 engine, which comes from the brand's flagship LS 460; in the GS, it makes 342 horsepower. Competitors include the BMW 550i, Mercedes-Benz E550, Cadillac STS V-8 and Jaguar XF. Lexus used the BMW 5 Series sedan as a benchmark to develop the GS, which comes with rear-wheel drive. A V-6 goes into the related GS 350, which can have all-wheel drive. A gas-electric hybrid engine powers the GS 450h. Both models are covered separately in the Cars.com Research section.
New for 2009
The GS 460 receives no significant changes for 2009.
Lexus says the GS is more futuristic than its predecessor, touting its long hood and set-back cabin. Featuring uncluttered sheet metal, the GS 460 has a short rear deck and wide, tapered C-pillars that flow back toward the rear of the car.
- 190 inches long
- 71.7 inches wide
- 112.2-inch wheelbase
- 18-inch wheels
- Standard rear sunshade
- Available moonroof
Up to five people can fit comfortably in the GS 460's leather seats. Perforated leather comes in a choice of three colors.
- 10-way power front seats with heated and ventilated upholstery
- Dashboard trimmed with bird's-eye maple
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- 10-speaker sound system
- Available navigation system with 7-inch screen; system includes Bluetooth, voice activation and a rearview camera
- Available Mark Levinson surround-sound system with 14 speakers
- 12.7 cubic feet of trunk space
Under the Hood
Lexus says the GS 460 sprints from zero to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds, which puts it 0.3 seconds ahead of both the GS 350 and GS 430. The torque-rich GS 450h is still the quickest of the bunch, at 5.2 seconds. The GS 460 gets an estimated 17/24 mpg city/highway.
- 4.6-liter V-8 making 342 hp and 339 pounds-feet of torque
- Eight-speed automatic transmission
- Adaptive Variable Suspension, with four driver-selectable modes, automatically selects appropriate damping for road conditions
- Active Power Stabilizer system aims to reduce unwanted body roll
- Variable gear-ratio steering changes the steering ratio for tighter or wider steering depending on the car's speed
- Differential steering control includes up to 2 inches of active steering if the driver encounters a side wind
An option group includes adaptive laser cruise control and a pre-collision system that helps determine if a crash is imminent and takes appropriate steps if it is. Other options include Intuitive Park Assist and adaptive headlights that swivel in accord with the front wheels. Standard safety equipment includes:
- Driver and front-passenger knee airbags
- Seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags for both rows
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Electronic stability system
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Lexus GS 460
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.