2004 Lexus GX 470

15 city / 18 hwy

Overall

Great SUV

by Ed from Virginia | March 31, 2013

I bought my 04 GX used with 84K. It was a one owner truck that was maintained by Lexus. As expected with age and miles I performed a few needed repairs but nothing major. The 90k service for the timing belt cost $900.00 at the local Toyota dealership. This included replacement of the water pump. I would recommend this vehicle and the quality and reliability is excellent.

The GX is one of the best vehicles out there.

by Some guy from Mandeville LA | April 23, 2012

No big story here. This is the suv of suv's. The 04 was a great year, reliability off the charts, good power, great features. Only reccomended suggestion: The 05 has a better nav and Bluetooth built in.

Best SUV I Have Every Owned!

by Lexus Fan from Maumelle, AR | February 19, 2012

I have been extremely pleased with the Lexus GX 470! I have owned 2 and have never had any problems with either. Both have had over 150k miles on them and been trouble free! The exterior and interior styling are both functional and very appealing! I would recommend the GX 470 to everyone looking for a stylish, luxurious, powerful, and off-road capable SUV!

Loving My Pearl !!

by Lexus Lover from Tehachapi, CA | August 29, 2011

Elegant, sophisticated and fun !! I never new I could love a car so much. She rides like luxury, performs outstandingly and changes my disposition in a heartbeat. I finally have the car I deserve !!!

So far so good

by Alberta from Edmonton,AB. | May 10, 2010

We bought a 2004 GX 470 in California and imported it to Canada. So far it has lived up to our expectations. The fuel consumption is around 19 us mpg mostly highway which is about as expected.

Very impressed!

by VS from New York, NY | February 22, 2010

Bought a 2004 model at the end of 2007 certified with 40K...now have over 80K and can count on one hand what I had to replace: tires and some bulbs - all of which are normal wear and tear + the drive shaft (under warranty). Even today after 80K+ and 6 years it drives better than many new cars - very quiet, can't hear the engine at idle, adjustable suspension works great even on NYC roads, averaging 15-16mpg in the city and 22-23mpg on long highway trips - excellent for a non-hybrid 4.7L V8! In fact my previous SUV Toyota Highlander with 3.3L V6 had exact same mileage! This truck plows through snow like a tank (had to use it during very recent Nor'Easter and saw CRVs and even Grand Cherokees skid and slide and being stuck in snow (we got 17"), while mine just kept going like nothing!) Just the right size and adequate power. My very few wishes: a bit more power, power-folding and auto-dimming exterior mirrors, more power-adjustment for the front passenger seat, flat-folding 3rd seat and more interior storage space - ALL of which has been addressed and corrected in the new 2010 GX460 model! Can't wait to get my hands on it one day, in the meantime, will be trading mine soon for an '06-'07 certified GX470!

Most reliable car I've owned

by review from | January 28, 2010

This is the best car period. I have 120,000 miles and the only thing I have replaced are the tires and brakes. As a person who usually trades up for a new car every 50,000 to 60,000 miles. I will never sell it. I will keep it for my teenage children.

One of the best!

by Lexus All The Way from Virginia | November 4, 2009

We purchased this suv used in 2005, with about 25,000. At the time, it was still under warranty. The comfort and reliability of the GX is 2nd to none. Interior fit and finish are exceptional, although the hinged 3rd row seats take up space (it would have been nicer to see them fold flush with the floor). We have the optional NAV and rear entertainment system, which I would highly recommend. The ONLY expenses we've incurred with this vehicle (outside of normal maintenance), have been tires & brakes (one set each) and a new navigation disk. Total investment in 4 years, $1,500. As mentioned in other reviews, MPG is truly averaging 19-20, which we consider exceptional for a vehicle this size. And finally, they hold their value well. I'm writing this review as I'm searching for our 2nd GX - enabling me to sell my S600 MB. Buy with confidence. Both members of the household enjoy it.

Best SUV for the money

by SUVer from Pensacola, FL | May 19, 2009

The GX470 is by far the best Luxuary SUV I have ever driven or owned. I have averaged 19 MPG for the past two years and as high as 21.1 with mostly short trips of less than twenty miles, not bad for a heavy V8 powered SUV. It's confortable on long trips, NAV works great, It has great styling that has stood the test of time as the design has changed very little in six years. I highly recommend this SUV to all.

Most Reliable Car but Not Favorite Car

by Lover of fine cars from Kansas City | July 26, 2008

Only squawk I've had is a clunk in the drive train heard at stops after freeway driving. Dealer replaced the drive shaft and all was well. (Binding spline at the tranny) Dreamy ride for an SUV. Getting 20-21 MPG with a light foot and air always on. Great quality car. Favorite? 2001 Benz S430. Lousy reliability, great ride, looks, feel, handling and performance.

Featured Services for this Lexus GX 470