2008 Lexus GX 470

14 city / 18 hwy

Overall

First Lexus SUV

by Bill from Long Island, NY | November 20, 2013

I bought a 2008 GX off lease with 15k miles on it. Vehicle was in meticulious condition as one would expect it to be. We have the vehicle 2 years and have taken 3 extensive round trips to Fla with this vehicle. It is defenitely the most comfortable vehicle I have even driven or been a passenger in. The biggest downside is the gas guzzling of the V8 which gives appx 16-17 mph with vehicle in cruise control mode. Not something I would have expected. So far no mechanical problems.

The perfect luxury SUV

by Single Malt 1911 from Mobile, AL | February 6, 2013

I can honestly tell anyone looking for a luxury midsize SUV that this is a great choice. It's as at home on a muddy mountain road as it is at the country club thanks to the 4WD system and suspension. The 4.7 liter V8 is more powerful than the numbers suggest, and if you drop the hammer from a red light it will throw you back in the seat and you will find yourself at an illegal speed before you know it. My favorite part of the car is the interior, and the stereo system. I read reviews on the ML sound system that were both good and bad, but here's what I think. Lexus build cars for an older demographic, and if you listen to dynamic classical music such as Vivaldi's Four Seasons, you will be amazed by the sonic clarity and sound staging. On the other hand, if your musical taste is more Jay-Z or say Rob Zombie you may not be so impressed. This is certainly not to say it won't sound good, it does, but don't expect it to throw down like the 2 12" Cerwin-Vegas you had in high school. The Sat-Nav unit is not the best I've ever seen, and is a bit antiquated by even 2008 standards. One other thing to keep in mind is that this is a full time 4WD, full framed, V-8 powered SUV. It simply will never be as car-like as say an Acura MDX, Volvo XC90 or BMW X5, but will go just about anywhere you care to go or tow 6,500 lbs with no problem. There are a few small issues that I have found, the center console is a bit small, I'd rather have either a liftgate or even barn doors (like the old Isuzu Troopers had) as opposed to the big side opening gate, and a few more storage compartments would be nice. My Pro/Con list is: Pro's: Beautiful interior Great V8 power 4WD System Mark Levinson Stereo Flawless Reliability Con's: Small center console Side opening tailgate Sat-Nav system

Poor Lexus quality

by Mad GX Owner from Austin, TX | July 27, 2012

Bought a brand new 2008 GX. Kept all the maintenance in check. It's got only 57K miles and needs new struts which costs thousands of $$$!!! Actually two struts are defective (blown up?) but because of the way the vehicle is constructed, Lexus highly recommends to replace all four. In over 20 cars that I owned this is the first time when I need to spend $$$ on the suspension before 100K miles. Completely unacceptable for the quality that Lexus is advertising!! Never ever I'll buy another Lexus!!!! I am done!! Acura, here I come.

Buy another in a second.

by Old Joe from Illinois | January 16, 2012

Retired, and my wife and I travel a lot as we have kids in states 600 miles south, 800 miles west, and 950 miles east. Enjoying seeing the country and our kids and grandchildren at the same time. Love the ride and roominess of the suv.

Returning to GX!

by SIVS from New York, NY | November 30, 2011

I owned a 2004 GX and after trading it for RX in 2009 I've missed it ever since...until a few months ago when I decided to get a 2008 CPO GX. I'm back to the real deal! Don't get me wrong, the RX is a fine piece of machinery, smooth and comfy and my wife drives it every day and loves it, but GX is the king...its a man's truck. Yes the fuel economy averages 16-17mpg mixed driving (although on pure highway runs it always gives me 21-22mpg - better than its sticker numbers), but no one buys body-on-frame SUV because they want better fuel economy! Love this truck for what it is - a go-anywhere-do-anything machine with commanding view and very surprising for an SUV reflexes! At only 188" long it is shorter than vast majority of family sedans, yet is hauls 8 passengers, or nearly 90 cu ft worth of cargo. And did I mention the comfortable, quiet cabin? Its noise level is so much better than the RX despite a rumbling V8 under the hood. All controls are where they are supposed to be (except 2: mirror adjustments and mirror heater button), everything is pleasing to the touch and feel and rear view is generous compared to car-based crossovers with sloping roofs and huge blind spots. It is easy to drive this truck, easy to feel its dimensions, unlike some of the bigger SUVs, easy to park and easy to get into and out of. I feel ready for anything that may come my way when I am behind the wheel of my GX. My two minor negatives about this car (no power folding / auto-dimming side mirrors and no cornering xenon lights) have already been addressed in the new GX460, so no point of stressing on that. And by the way, the side tailgate is not a big nuisance at all...yes it opens to the right (made in Japan after all), but we have many one-way streets in NYC and many times I find myself parking on the left side of the road. Also in the garage I park it along the right wall and having the swing out door is better for me then high-lift door, as in my RX that keeps hitting the garage door when its open.

dont be fool by the atractive look

by tony from ny | June 13, 2011

this truck is over price ,burn gas like cazy i should have gone for the acura mdx better gas and run better

Superb vehicle

by John from Detroit | March 25, 2011

This SUV is amazing on and off the road. I have had other SUVs but this one far outweighs the others in handling and comfort. It is very good on gas too. I get over 20 miles per gallon on the highway and at least 19 in the city....better than the manufacturer's ratings. It handles off road and snow better any SUV I have ever driven. The interior is plush and opulant with leather and wood .... and very very quiet.

awesome luxury suv by lexus

by car man from PLANO, TX | November 22, 2010

I love this suv. it combines luxury with power all in one. I primarily drive it to work but I will occasionly tow my friends boat and i have no trouble doing that whatsoever. I love the air suspension. It feels like your driving on glass. LOVE THIS LUX SUV!

Great Luxury SUV

by Storm from Chicago, IL | November 4, 2010

Extremely comfortable, great performance, rides well on the street as well as being able to handle off-road driving I need to do in the Colorado mountains. No, gas is not great in the city, but not bad on he highway for a V8, I've gotten 23 mpg numerous times.

Excellent Luxury SUV

by storm from | August 12, 2010

Great space, power and luxury. Haven't experience any problems and don't expect to. Good to have a luxury SUV that can still handle off-road. I've taken it out to Colorado twice already to go camping and the trail roads we took, no car should be on, but it handled great.

Featured Services for this Lexus GX 470