2005 Lexus IS 300

18 city / 24–25 hwy

Overall

My first Lexus

by Phoenix_Lexus from Phoenix, AZ | December 8, 2010

First - a caveat. I am a longtime Toyota owner, having driven almost nothing but Tacomas (or the pre-Tacoma pick-up) for nearly 20 years, so I may be somewhat biased to the Lexus. I am thoroughly pleased with the Lexus IS300! I was looking for a nice compact luxury sports car, and narrowed the field to the BMW 3 series, Mercedes C-class, and the Lexus. I am thrilled with my decision. I have had absolutely no buyers remorse. I've struggled to find a meaningful flaw with the car. Right now the best I can come up with is that the front cabin cup-holders don't accommodate some of my larger coffee mugs, but I'm learning to adapt. The car's performance has been better than expected, reliability is outstanding, and most maintenance is cheaper because everything can be service by any Toyota dealership or qualified mechanic - dodging the unnecessary cost inflation because it's a "luxury" brand. The exterior styling is somewhat plain - a feature I rather like, but others may want something more distinctive. The interior is also somewhat plain, although the seats (with perforated leather) are very comfortable, and surprisingly, I haven't had trouble with them getting too hot - not an easy feat during the 110+ degree summers of Phoenix. In short - I LOVE this car, and cannot recommend it more enthusiastically!

Absolutely awesome drive. Beats BMW.

by Jack from San Diego, CA | March 5, 2008

Awesome handling, nice smooth ride, great manuverability, looks great. Awesome handling, nice smooth ride, great manuverability, looks great.

nimble car

by motown from north carolina | November 13, 2007

I have had mine for 2 yrs. It is 5spd which is hard to find. I enjoy going around corners fast. The engine in this car is very smooth. The seats are ergonomic and the steering wheel is perfectly placed. This car is very nice, I have not gotten tired of it yet!

Something to satisfy unusual tastes

by Laser Engineer from Santa Clara, CA | October 15, 2007

Well, this thing is the best-handling sedan I've ever driven. With the right tires, it casually takes turns that make normal cars screech and plow. But it comes with a large dose of strangeness, starting with an unreadable instrument panel (including the speedometer), continuing with a transmission that seems to let you upshift or downshift with buttons on the steering wheel except that it really won't stay in the gear that you pick and ending with an automatic climate control that knows better than you what you want. Besides that, it has an unholy appetite for premium gas. I average about 18 MPG, which is pathetic for a small sedan with 200 horsepower. I put up with it because it handles perfectly and it has a reputation for not breaking. Besides that, the seats are supremely comfortable, visibility is excellent and the engine is smooth as glass. So the car is a blast to drive.

The Little Lexus that Could

by P Money from Ohio | July 19, 2006

I use the IS as my primary vehicle, and it never lets me down. It's hip, quick, and always entertaining. I enjoy the thrill of comfortable acceleration, feeling secure as the car inhales pavement during tight corners, while listening to a live symphony courtesy of the Lexus Sound System. I love the car in Red with Ivory interior...very distinctive on cold, grey Ohio mornings. Yes, the rear wheel drive can be a bit tricky when snow is on the ground, but it's all a matter of getting used to the car and how much acceleration to put in. If you've got all weather tires..you should be fine. But once spring and summer arrive, it's time to role down that sunroof and windows and cruise while others stare as you pass by. This car is well rounded, lots of fun, and incredibly reliable.