1990 Lexus LS 400

See Photos & Videos

Overall

1990 Lexus LS400

by Thomas Nguyen from Hayward, Ca | January 12, 2014

I bought the car when it was 10 years old. Engine never gave me any problems. I was surprised it took me out of town fine. Thinking back now, all day driving doing security work (100's of miles). Especially for an old car. But I bought it from a dealership who maintained and repaired vehicle (assuming it did). So unfair criticism. I wasn't the first owner so I shouldn't speak about its dependability. Previous owners say alot. However owner doesn't say dependability, exmination and what's reality says its dependability. Maybe it was repaired during the time before me. Oil stains were in the bottom. Probable from leaking hoses. I common thing in any car. Suspension was suspectable. A dangerous car in the rain. It skids. So very dangerous in the rain. Safe (6.0) in crash due to heavy chiseled metal. Personally, I never felt comfortable driving the car. One of the major reason is because it was 10 years, 135K miles. Brakes had alot of problems. My mother crashed the car. Tires were changed when they didn't need to be. Alignment was done. Light's kept on blowing out. I didn't know the History. I wasn't a mechanic. So when I opened the hood I didn't see anything. When I test drove the vehicle I didn't feel anything. I already knew about car problems, my father fixes his truck all the time. Basically I made a risky choice. A desperate one because it was the only place that would finance me. Compared to other cars, to me the exterior design was sharp and bright. Interior was clean and sharp. I had an eye for this. I heard Lexus put "alota time" in designing the car. Kudo's for the hard work. The reason why I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to a friend because its 2014. The vehicle is a 1990. So it would be a 24 year old vehicle. My recommendation is eliminate from buying a car you don't know because its expensive and too complicating to deal with. Just keep your car and drive. A car isn't a buying and selling thing because its like open heart surgery. You don't know the things people will dump into it. Especially when its an engineering mess.

Very Nice Car For The Money

by JackyChann from Merced , Ca | September 1, 2011

I got this car for my son's graduation present, this car is superb. The only down side this car have is that it get not so good gas mileage in the city but on the freeway we get about 400 miles per tank so that's not too bad. Pearl white is a timeless color to get, there are only 2 things wrong with this car at this time, 1. a/c is not cold, maybe a leak somewhere 2. a clunk noise in the front right of car when we go over rough road. 3. that's all, everything else is super 4. currently 8/01/2011 it got 204500 miles

Pedestrian Excellence

by Amskeptic from Kendall, NY | June 17, 2009

I have owned two LS400s. I still own a BMWE34 and a Mercedes W116 alongside both experiences with the Lexus. The Lexus executes its tasks with unruffled competence. Its engine is world-class smooth and economical. But it nonetheless reminds me of the drop-dead gorgeous creature at the party who turns out to have nothing new to say. The Lexus is not reaching for new territory, it seeks only to meet the standards of others. Dump it into a corner, and compromises are apparent in its sodden response. Wax the exterior, and you can't help but feeling like you are waxing the washing machine, it is an appliance. A competent appliance. It is a perfect car for people who want competence. It would be a disappointment for anyone who wants to experience the effort of a manufacturer to expand the envelope of automotive performance. Colin (there is a caveat here: I work on all of my cars exclusively. I admire the Toyota engineers for beautifully intelligent engineering. But lawdy is it complex and I do not doubt that half of Lexus repair budgets are being blown on confused mechanics efforts. If you must pay others to maintain and work on your car, find a good smart mechanic. These are stunningly reliable cars until they get screwed up)

Incredible Car

by 19 Year LS400 Owner from Long Island, New York | February 18, 2009

I have owned my black LS-400 for 19 years since new. I can't give up on the car since it is so wonderful. The original bulbs (except headlamps) are still working! 131,000 miles and feels better than most modern cars. Everything still works! Replaced timing belt and water pump, a/c compressor and will need a power steering pump some day...not bad!

One Of The Most Reliable 90's Luxury Vehicles

by J. Banks from Portage, WI | November 20, 2006

When your buying a Lexus, your buying more than just a beautiful name and great looking car. You're buying Reliablilty, these cars had little to no problems back in there day. Obviously somebody did something right. The point I am trying to get through your head is that The LS400 was one of the most beautiful and luxurious cars of the 90's. I am sad to see that Lexus pass the car off and came out with yet another beautiful car the LS460 it's just as nice but it is not as conservative. I hope that any interested buyers looking for a nice used car have the LS400 on top of there list. Its Great.

Beautiful Engineering From Of Course Lexus

by J. Banks from Portage, WI | November 17, 2006

Most people probably thoght back in 1990 that the Lexus LS400 would'nt sell. Lexus seemed to have mastered that. back then there really was no other car like the LS400, some people complained that the Mercedes Benz looked similar, they make look similar but Lexus is the overall winner over the two.

Featured Services for this Lexus LS 400