2000 Lexus RX 300

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Engine Sludge Problems

by NeverBuyLexus from Streamwood, IL | December 29, 2013

Purchased at 82,000 miles and immediately noticed the high oil consumption of 3-4 quarts per 1,000 miles. The engine has now caused other issues with the car turning on the check engine light, and grinding over 60 MPH. Lexus says I need a new engine because of oil gelling and black sand. What a piece of junk!!

Like a hot knife through butter!

by smart shopper from Hardwick, VT | September 10, 2012

This SUV drives and rides smoother than the cadillac I used to own. Even though it's a 2000 you would never know the difference. It's so smooth on the road and very comfortable. I love the arm rests on the front seats. It's the little things like those that make this vehicle awesome. Also, the tires are a very common size, which is nice because since they are common they are not as expensive as they could be. Love this ride!!!

2000 RX 300 - 175,000 and still going!

by CarGuy from Chantilly, VA | March 20, 2012

I've owned my 2000 RX 300 since 2007 and I now have 175,000 miles on it. This model is plagued with transmission replacement within 90k - 120k miles. I replaced my transmission at 140k. Other than this - i plan to run it to 240k. Been a great car for me and my family. Plenty of horsepower and very comfortable ride.

Best car!!!!

by Lover of cars from Bethlehem,Pa | August 24, 2011

Smooth ride will love to upgrade to a newer rx in the future. Had it for 6 months now and nothing has gone bad and got good gas milage for a mini suv. Loves this car.

Very satisfied

by Driver from Ohio | February 22, 2011

After researching this vehicle thoroughly, i bought a 2000. I was aware of the transmission problems some RX300's are plagued with. I did test drive a 2001 and could tell the transmission was going to go on it. After test driving the RX that i later purchased, i could tell the transmission was healthy and decided to buy it. I did buy a warranty for peace of mind, but havent needed it (knock on wood). I am very satisfied with my purchase. I now have 112,000 miles on it and have owned it for 9 months. I can not believe how well this vehicle has held up for being 11 years old. It drives like it is new, and looks like it is new. I like the step in height, easy to get into. I also like the layout of the dash and radio/climate controls, it is very organized. I wish it had audio controls on the steering wheel, but i guess i'm just nit-picking. Very satisfied with reliability, quality, cargo room etc. Also, i live in ohio which is one of the reasons i opted for an RX with AWD. The snow drifts, unplowed roads, parking lots, and driveways doesn't even phase my RX300, I do not miss getting stuck!. This vehicle is EXCELLENT in the snow. Although i am satisfied with the performance, i do miss the cornering limits of a car. I also anticipated better gas mileage, but i do have a lead foot and like to exercise the V6 ;-) would definitely recommend.

LUVIN my Lexus

by waif from FL | February 22, 2010

This car is a dream to drive-comfortable, reliable, I will always own a Lexus...I have had virtully no repair bills and it is a 2000. I cannot believe how dependable it is.

Amazed and Overjoyed.

by Father John from Central Mississippe | August 24, 2009

I bought my car three years ago with 186K miles on it. Now it has 258K and is still ticking great. Friends who drive it cannot believe it is 10 years old with 250K plus miles on it. I've been to Kenya twice. The car of choice for those who can afford it is this same car, though it is called a Toyota Harrier over there. If it can survive on Kenyan roads, nothing we have will be a problem! I would not hesitate to start out today on a long trip, no matter the weather conditions. It is, without reservation, the best over-all car I have ever owned... and I have owned LOTS over that 50 years.

Horrible buy

by Jo Ann from Chicago | August 12, 2009

I bought this car used with 10000 miles on it. This has been the biggest money pit I have ever purchased. The transmission went out at 95,000 miles...which I had fixed and now at 107,000 miles it is leaking oil from the main seal. I've replaced 4 oxygen sensors which cost $450 a piece. It seems I get the check engine light off & it comes on again a week later. I bought this car for reliability and have paid for the car twice over with all of the repairs. I was going to purchase a brand new Accord & opted for the Lexus thinking it would last me forever. I have maintained the car by the book & have still had all of these problems. I contacted Lexus regarding the transmission & got nothing. I will never buy another Lexus again or recommend one!!!

A Great Car for Us!

by Karen in Long Beach from Long Beach CA | August 9, 2009

Bought new in 2000 - after 120,000 miles I have to say this car has been GREAT. I am not a big fan of my local Lexus Dealer but w minimal maintenance the car has been solid for 9 years now. I am most impressed w the fact that the little annoying things that happen to most older vehicles (noisier knocks and imperfections) just have not happened - it still it a sound, quiet well crafted vehicle. I'm a happy owner.

Luv this car

by Duke from Fresno, CA | June 12, 2009

Bought ours new and have 147K on it and it still drives great. No problems with the transmission or engine. We bought a '06 RX 330, so our daughter is driving our '00. We were thinking about buying her a new car, but she does not want to give up the Rx 300.

Featured Services for this Lexus RX 300