2003 Lexus RX 300

Available in 2 styles:  2003 Lexus RX 300 AWD shown

Overall

Best car I've ever owned

by John from Kenilworth, IL | January 1, 2014

I have owned a lot of cars in my lifetime, but the Lexus RX300 is my best purchase. When they say that Lexus vehicles are reliable, you can believe it. I have only taken my Lexus into servicing for proactive service appointments and have never -- ever -- had a mechanical problem with the car. That's rare. It has 100,000 miles on it and looks and drives like it's fairly new. I shocked a friend of mine when I told him it's older than his 9 year old kid.

My next car will be Lexus again

by Lexus Lover from Garden Grove, CA | April 2, 2012

Most Reliable Car I've Owned. My next car will be Lexus again. This is my second one. I recommended to my friends and relative.

great suv

by joe from | March 4, 2011

Only major repairs needed are the O2 sensors and replace timing belt at 100K miles, great ride and very reliable. Third one purchased.

Excellent used car choice

by Macrotek from Chicago | November 29, 2010

While some may opt to buy new, we opted to buy used. Our choice was a low mileage 2003 Lexus RX300 with every conceivable option including navi and Xenon headlights. Looks and runs just like new. Saw it being offered through a local Lexus dealer on numerous sites including Cars and eBay. Amazingly, on eBay, it was offered with 'no reserve' and we won the bidding almost $5,000 less than what the dealer was asking. Very cool! We've now got 2 pristine low mileage used Lexus RX300s we couldn't be any happier with. One is Burnished Gold Metallic with Ivory interior and the other is Millennium Silver Metallic with Black interior. There isn't a bit of body rust because all Lexus body panels are zinc coated (actually warranted for 7 years not to rust). Other than changing the oil to Castrol Syntec and draining/filling the transmission fluid, everything else had been done on schedule by Lexus dealers. Suggest getting an RX300 with the OEM rear spoiler. Great for keeping rain and snow off the rear window. Other suggestions are picking up a Husky Rear Cargo Liner for protection, adding LUBEGARD ATF Protectant to the transmission fluid, and considering Cooper's new CS4 Touring tires. All in all, we consider the Lexus RX300 an excellent used car choice. We haven't found any cons.

Why did they change this car?

by NELexus from Boston, MA | November 5, 2010

I have truly enjoyed driving this car. The height, handling, versatility and comfort are all A1. Sadly Lexus took away the best features: an open floor space between driver and passenger seat; full glass visibility and simplicity of the dash controls. When I had my car serviced and drove a 2010 loaner it felt like a space ship. There was way too much technology sprinkled throughout the dash and steering wheel and console. The center console is solid and high like a wall - so much for hand holding with hubby. I felt claustrophobic and the visibility was greatly reduced by the tapering and tinting of the glass. The cargo area is smaller and oddly shaped. Back to the RX300 - my complaint is that I had to replace U joints (?) and the oxygen sensor and part of the transmission which considering I am a conservative driver I found that odd to do before 100K miles. I find myself surfing car sites hoping to find a 2003 that was driven by a little old lady with less than 60k miles on it so I can continue the experience a little longer before I can find a new car that works for me.

Very satisfied

by none from Maine | January 29, 2008

First SUV type vehicle that I have owned. However, based on my experience with this vehicle to date. I would buy this model again. I purchased it with 48,000 miles and after a year and half I have 91,000 miles, almost all highway mileage. Only one minor mechanical problem (some type of pollution sensor). It was repaired by Lexus, good service but probably over priced. I don't go there for routine service. I am 6' 4" tall and weigh 245 lbs. and I find the comfort level adequate. I live in Maine and I like the car for winter driving. I feel it handles well in all driving conditions. I'm saving for my next one when this one hits 200,000 miles.

A Great Car

by Likes a Practical Car with Style from Ohio | May 22, 2006

The Lexus RX300 is a very comfortable and reliable car. I even enjoy doing driving errands in this car. Mileage per gallon is good for a SUV. Our dealer provides great service.

Love it!

by Chicago Lexus Driver from Chicago, IL | May 12, 2006

This is the second RX I've purchased. Bought it with 27k miles on it. The car is so comfortable. I do a ton of city and highway driving and this is the only car that doesn't give me a backache. Improvements over the earlier model RX include 2 settings on the seat warmers and a larger gas tank. The cd changer is still in the glove box (minor inconvenience) and cup holders are a bit awkward set between the two front seats. The controls are all easiy accessible while driving and I love the lighted blue display panel in the center console. The car handles really well, especially in the snow or rain. The pick up isn't that great, but it does the job. On average, I get 18 MPG. I love all the storage area in the back. The back seats are very comfortable and offer lots of legroom. Overall, I highly recommend this car. You'll love it!

Featured Services for this Lexus RX 300