2006 Lexus RX 400h

2006 Lexus RX 400h

Available in 2 styles:  2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr AWD Hybrid shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Lexus hybrid SUV is a great car

by Friend of the Earth from Austin, TX | December 10, 2012

I have owned a 2006 Lexus hybrid SUV, RX400h since purchasing it new in 2006. I have had no problems at all, except having to change the battery and the tires. It is smooth, fast, reliable and efficient! It is great to not burn gas sitting at a stoplight since the engine shuts off when it is not needed. Overall I get 25-26 mpg in the city. And I have hauled everything in it, from camping gear for weeklong trips to 2 tons of stone for backyard projects.

Great Hybrid SUV!

by Car Guy from Albuquerque, NM | June 8, 2012

We love our Lexus RX 400h! The nav works great and we especially like the easy-to-use touch screen! The power lift gate is very useful when our hands our full and the LED tail lights make the car look very nice. The xenon headlights that swivel around corners make it a lot easier to see at night and the overall styling is very unique. We only see a few of these around town and I'm sure you would be the only one in your neighborhood with one if you bought one! We average 27 highway/ 30 city so if you are worried about getting bad gas mileage there is no need to worry.

Lexus RX400h Hybrid

by Snowranch from Austin, TX | May 1, 2012

I recently purchased my 400h after doing a lot of research and am very pleased with it so far. I'm getting about 26mpg consistantly which isn't bad for a car this size and quality. I'm not totally satisfied with the navigation system, not very intuitive at all and having to pay $200 to update the maps is really cheap on Lexus' part, but other than that I am very glad I purchased a used 2006 400h. It's a very comfortable car with plenty of room.

Great car; can't beat it for city driving!

by Aftermarket Queen from New Orleans LA | April 30, 2012

This car is comfortable, i.e. lumbar seats! plus gets terrific mileage in city with hybrid electric/gas engine. Gas engine does not even go into play with stop and go traffic in city! 28mpg city/traffic, only 22 mpg highway. Heavy, sturdy, super quiet engine...can't even tell it's running so quiet. Great car, seems very well built, and as a Toyota product you know it will last a couple hundred thousand miles minimum.

Lexus RX 400h 2006

by lexusrx400h from | February 20, 2012

I bought my 2006 RX 400h in Dec 2011. Right after purchasing the car, I took it to Lexus dealership for recall services, which was free of charge plus free loaner car. They also performed safety inspection and hybrid inspection, all free of charge. No major issue was detected, and the vehicle seems it was well maintained. I drive my 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3T week days, and drive 400h on weekends. I've put about 1500 miles in 2 months, mostly on local roads. I'm still observing MPG and its performance. Here's what I found out so far. 400h actually gets more MPG on highway than local roads. I got 23.0 MPG so far, which isn't bad for AWD SUV, but far less than what's claimed by Lexus. I do, however, expect the number will increase as winter gets out of the way. Every time I enter the vehicle, I smell this unpleasing scent; it gets better as I drive although never goes away completely. I assume that's the smell from hybrid battery, which seats right underneath back-seats. I think the scent rises into the cabin thru ventilation window for cooling the battery, located under the back-seats. 400h looks great and runs great. Although I'm somewhat disappointed with MPG, the car still makes me very satisfied. Just as Cars and Drivers said, RX model is a golden retriever of SUV. 2006 RX 330 w/ 80g is around $17,000. 2006 RX 400h w/ 80g is around $19,000. I'd recommend spending $2000 more for h series.

One of the Best

by Proud Lexus Owner from Marina, CA | January 2, 2012

I purchased my 2006 Lexus RX400h with 48,000 miles on it, 3 years ago. The only negative with this vehicle has been the high cost of maintenance...oil changes range from $89-125 at the dealership, other than that, the vehicle is great! The only mechanical issue I've encountered since I've owned the vehicle was a recall issue that caused the the power steering not to work. (fixed free of charge by Lexus) I had the timing belt changed at 100,000 miles and ...other than that, it's been extremely reliable. The power and performance is fantastic. For a luxury SUV, the gas mileage was heads and shoulders above most at 22/27 MPG and it uses regular gasoline, which is a plus in this economy. I have 116, 000 miles on my Lexus and it still performs with the same power, as the day I purchased it! This vehicle is a very good value for the money!

My first Hybrid

by Porscheguy from South Carolina | August 17, 2011

Overall, an outstanding car. Mark Levinson sound is astoundingly good, especially with DVD movie. Road noise is higher than expected, but somewhat improved after the original tires wore out and were replaced with Kumhos. For a city dweller, the economy advantage will easily reduce your fuel bill by half. For someone driving on country roads, it may reduce it by a quarter compared to a comparable SUV. Mine was reliable except for a steering rack that required replacing at 70K miles. It was done under warranty. I would definitely recommend this car over all other SUVs, including the 3rd generation RX450h.

My Only Choice - Safe SUV that gets 25+ MPG

by B-Rich from Jupiter, FL | January 6, 2011

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) 2006 Lexus RX 400h AWD for my wife because we just had a baby and we wanted a safe SUV with side impact airbags that could get 25+ MPG and has a power lift gate. The 400h is the only SUV that meets all of those criteria. A Hybrid requires you to drive more conservatively in order to obtain the fuel economy states. It’s not all bad, I find myself playing a game to get the best MPG as possible. We have had the 2006 400h for 5 months now and we LOVE it. My wife is averaging 25.2 MPG with 50/50 (Hwy/City) driving. Compare to her last SUV that got 17 MPG she is saving $800 a year on fuel since she drives 12k-15k a year. Sometimes she is able to get over 30 MPG with the 400h when driving around town. We absolutely love the 400h and really enjoy driving it. There is only one thing Lexus forgot to put a “distance to empty” on the computer. A few things to consider when buying a 400h. Each year has some subtle differences. 2006 models have no “Hybrid” badges on the side, the Navigation/Computer is Gen 4 (older) and my favorite is the Aluminum trim (no out dated faux wood on the center console, doors and steering wheel). Most 2006 400h’s are all wheels drive (AWD) with Nav; FWD and non-Nav was not offered as an option until late in the 2006 model year. 2007-2008 400h’s are the same with the exception that the 2008 models have electric blue outline in the rear Lexus badge and the front headlights have a blue tint to them. Both 2007-2008 400h’s have Gen 5 Nav, FWD and Nav are optional. More exterior color choices were offered on the 2008 model. One important thing to have the dealer do before completing the deal on a 2006 400h is Technical Service Info Bulletin (TSIB) EG010_05. This effects fuel economy, before we had this performed we only received 18-21 MPG, now we get 25+ MPG. Most dealer’s have NOT heard of this TSIB until you mention it to them. Here is an overview: When the 12–volt battery is disconnected or is depleted below 7 volts on 2006 model year RX 400h vehicles, it is necessary to perform the ISC Learning procedure to re–initialize the idle speed control. The information in TSIB EG010_05 relates to this procedure.

Lexus 400h

by Russ from springfield, il | December 29, 2010

found a great deal on Cars.com. Love the car. The carfax integration gave me peace of mind in buying a used car. Great experience! After buying the Lexus, I then put my daughters Honda Civic for sale on Cars.com and sold it within a week.

2006 Lexus RX400H

by vpang from Fort Worth TX | December 10, 2010

I bought this vehicle in march of 2010. It had 30,025 and I bought it certified used. The car is very nice. I average anywhere between 23-27 mpg using regular fuel. The navigation system is comletely outdated. I bought the 2010 update for it and it is about 3 years behind. The street that I live on isn't even on the map. The ride is very comfortable, blue tooth works well with cell phone, quiet ride, rear backup camera is nice, touch screen with navigation looks pretty cool. The Lexus dealerships that I have gone to have helped me out and have been very helpful and extremely polite. I felt the service was great. For about 30k, I was looking at several vehicles including the GTI, RAV4, Crosstour, Venza, and Prius and felt this was the best value of any of the vehicles. Overall, great vehicle and I plan on keeping for a very long time.

Featured Services for this Lexus RX 400h