2000 Lincoln LS

2000 Lincoln LS

Available in 3 styles:  2000 Lincoln LS 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

WORST CAR TO MAINTAIN IN35 YRS DRIVING!

by MSGTUSMC from CHESAPEAKE VA | July 11, 2013

JUNK LINCOLN, COSTLY TO MAINTAIN. DOOR WINDOW REGULATORS JUNK, DOOR HANDLES JUNK. COIL ON PLUGS & VALVE COVER GASKETS JUNK.

If you're willing to spend 3 thousand a year.

by driver from | May 10, 2013

The car is not so bad however, it has dozens of little minor flaws that no matter how you fix it, it's going to fail again before you think. Clock spring in the steering wheel being one of the most prominent. Lets not forget window motors and regulators, about every two years. I wouldn't mind so much, but its a lincoln so everything for this car costs 20% more at the least.

Problemobile

by Prior owner from Maryland | January 23, 2012

The car is certainly a great looking vehicle with excellent appearance and comfort. They have a good safety rating and the 50/50 weight distribution means they handle well. Power from the V8 is more than adequate. The downside is that these things have a laundry list of known common problems and none of them are cheap to fix. List of things we fixed during the 7 years of ownership of this vehicle: Window regulators (all of them, $300 a piece) Valve cover gaskets (expensive labor) which then also ruined: Coil packs ($500), spark plugs($100), and catalytic converters ($1000) Front ball joints (have to buy entire lower arm (over $500 ea)) The radio display went out ($350) Overengineered Hydraulic cooling fan pump ($500 + $200 hose + labor). completely unnecessary, whats wrong w/ an elec fan? Air bag light came on, this was actually caused by the exit assist (seat goes back when you take key out). The back and forth movement broke the wire to the side unit. I fixed this myself, just make sure you know what you are doing! The stuff that was wrong that wasnt fixed: Chased a random no start condition (appeared related to security system in the car). Multiple tows from this trying to be able to get a shop to reproduce the problem Unsolved random battery drain. The heat / ac system was starting to go out (flapper door / vacuum unit under dash). Heat elemnets in the seats quit working Water gets in headlights Worn sway bar bushings caused knocking sound, they dont sell the bushings you have to buy whole sway bar, labor is ridiculous also. All the chrome over plastic pieces started to delaminate. Its a nice looking, comfortable, powerful and good handling car, but keeping it going was just too expensive. Many of the problems are because of bad design and things like the valve cover gaskets should have been covered by a recall but were not.

This car's been very good to me.

by LS Owner from Rochester, NY | March 19, 2011

I bought this car through cars.com with 41,000 miles on it, 5 years ago, sight unseen. It's been a solid, reliable, and very comfortable daily commuter and now has 135,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance items like brakes and tires, it's rarely been in the shop. Now I'm looking for another one, and may give this one to my daughter!

Great car

by carguy from | September 25, 2010

Great car overall. I have owned 3 LS's now. A 2000, 2002 and a 2006. Lincoln had some issues with ignition coils and cheap interior materials on the earlier models. But for the money, you cant beat the near perfect weight ballance, V8 power and rear wheel drive. This car is a blast to drive. It's too bad Lincoln replaced the LS with the front wheel drive V6 MKS. They just dont compare in driving dynamics. Plus, the LS had much better looks that the current line of Lincolns.

Power, Performance and Reliability

by woman driver from Fort Worth, Texas | April 14, 2010

I have owned this car for 7 yrs and never had a major problem. Love the performance of a V8. Love the style and comfort.

V8

by Shipoopi from Oklahoma City, Ok | October 31, 2009

I traded a 1997 Ford truck for my 2000 Lincoln LS V8. I've only had issues with mine. Spark plugs and coil packs ruined from a leaky valve cover gasket. Front drivers seat quit. Got it out of the shop with a bill over 1300. Just replaced tires and got it alligned, shop owner told me to get rid of it. Now the next time I need an allignment, I have to change the ball bearings. Also this car keeps telling me it is over heating. I pull over pop the hood, NOT HOT! I've replaced the termometer twice, does no good. So there is clearly a computer issue. Every day I go out to start my car I hope it starts, every time I drive it I hope it gets me to where I need to go, on time and safely! Other then soooo many mechanical and computer issues it is extremely comfortable to drive!!! It also will get it quick! But I find it is to small for me, my husband, and our three dogs. I'm currently looking for a RELIABLE SUV. Being a Ford product and a Ford fan I expected much better when I bought this car.

sexy

by lincoln fan from | October 9, 2009

this car is a sleek and luxurious car. its features are exquisite.its cup holders are nice and clean the car itself is very spacious and is family friendly. the Lincoln ls is very reliable and can be used by old and young people .

Looks nice... until you get the bill

by ben from Boston | July 16, 2009

I bought a 2000 Lincoln LS with 65,000 miles on it in 2004 and it lasted me up until this past month (06/2009)when I blew an upper radiator hose at 186,000 miles. When it got to the shop they noticed that the rear end differentials were in need of replacement (which costs more than the car is worth at this point). I noticed that every time it was in the shop I was paying top dollar for every repair. For example, the upper radiator hose that blew should normally cost about $100 to fix on a car. On the LS, it's $300 because its not your standard radiator hose, it's got lines "spaghetti-factoried" from the sides... The car also needed a new manual transmission when I bought it and was ready for its 3rd tranny when I donated it to charity. The manual transmission and V6 itself left a lot to be desired in the "get-up-and-go" category... I also ran into problems with the ignition coils. Lincoln (or Ford) mounted the coils on top of the plugs rather than having a distributor, and apparently they didnt have the kinks worked about because I was conistently getting misfires which set of the check engine light. This went on for years until I finally got tired of throwing money at the problem. There were also suspension problems. I guess my car needed new linkage or bushings, but you couldn't just buy the needed part because they only sold the whole assembly which was running close to $1000. Needless to say, I dealt with the noisy ride. I got the base trim package on the car and it left a lot to be desired. (1 cup holder in a luxury sedan?!?) Remember the 17 inch rims mean you have to by 17 inch tires... which are never cheap. I also had to replace most of the window regulators because last summer, not 1, but 2 of my windows dropped down into the door panel and off their tracks. That sucked. Overall, the car looked nice, but it was a poor investment in my experience. I had nothing but problems with it. If you just bought one or are looking to buy one, best of luck to you. I just bought a Nissan.

Most reliable car

by alright from Arlington, VA | January 15, 2008

This car drives so smoothly and it looks sharp. It's a very dependable car. For long rides, it provides for a comfortable ride.

Featured Services for this Lincoln LS