With seating for up to seven people, the MKT full-size crossover shares its platform with the Ford Flex, but it has significantly different exterior styling and a more luxurious interior befitting its starting price of more than $40,000. The MKT is available with front- or all-wheel drive and is offered with a choice of V-6 engines. Competitors include the Buick Enclave and Acura MDX.
New for 2012
The price of the EcoBoost V-6 model has been lowered by approximately $3,000. Order combinations have also been simplified; otherwise there are no significant changes for 2012.
While the Flex is all angles and flat surfaces, the MKT features a flowing design. The MKT has a version of Lincoln's toothy chrome grille that dominates its face, much like the grille on the MKS luxury sedan does. The MKT's rear sports a distinctive liftgate that incorporates wide brake lights. Exterior features include:
- Standard adaptive xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights
- Keypad entry
- Standard 19-inch aluminum wheels
- Optional 20-inch aluminum rims
- Standard two-panel moonroof
The MKT's interior is a big step up for the brand in terms of materials quality. The use of soft-touch dashboard materials and an intricately designed gauge cluster contribute to the luxurious space. Leather-covered seats are standard.
The seven-person seating configuration features front bucket seats, a second-row bench seat and a two-person third row. Available bucket seats for the second row drop seating capacity to six. A refrigerated center console that goes between the seats is optional.
The second row has ample legroom and comfortable seats. The third row, meanwhile, suffers from a lack of headroom that makes it impossible for tall passengers to sit with their heads upright. The MKT's sleeker styling is likely to blame, as third-row headroom in the Flex is fine. Standard interior features include:
- Power-adjustable pedals
- Sync communication system
- MyKey programmable system
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel
Under the Hood
MKT buyers have a choice of two V-6 engines. The base 3.7-liter V-6 produces 268 horsepower and teams with a six-speed automatic transmission. The optional EcoBoost V-6 is slightly smaller — 3.5 liters — but makes significantly more power (355 hp) thanks to direct fuel injection and two turbochargers. It also drives a six-speed automatic. In both instances, the MKT comes with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters for driver-initiated gear changes. Mechanical features include:
- 268-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 available with front-wheel drive
- 355-hp, turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6 available with all-wheel drive
- 4,500-pound towing capacity with Class III trailer hitch
The MKT is available with Collision Warning with Brake Support, which can alert the driver to vehicles ahead and ready the brakes. An optional blind spot warning system is also available. Standard safety features include:
- Antilock brakes
- Side-impact airbags for the front seats
- Side curtain airbags for all three rows
- Electronic stability system with Roll Stability Control
- Rear parking sensors and a backup camera