1997 Lincoln Town Car

17 city / 25 hwy

Overall

A Modern Classic

by No Pain Wayne from Iowa | May 2, 2012

I said for years if I could find a good '97 TC I would buy it. IMOH the styling went way south with the '98. Picked up my Silver Signature Edition TC with 64K miles on it in Florida one year ago. Didn't realize it was the touring model until I got home (16" wheels, large anti-sway bars front & rear, dual exhaust). Superb comfort, good fuel economy, classic styling for less than a used Cavalier. I've put 15K miles on it and hope to run it many, many more.

Best car ever

by Selling man from New Orleans | February 27, 2012

This is our third Towncar, our second 97 towncar. It's big and comfortable and gets over 25mpg on the highway. I have been a salesperson for 42 yeaqrs and have driven dozens of cars many, many miles. The 97 Towncar is, in my opinion, the best car ever made.

Great value, great ride

by roadrunner1 from Tulsa, OK | October 20, 2011

My 97 Town Car now has 206,000 miles on it and I'm the second owner. When I purchased it 8 years ago, it had only 47,000 miles on it and I never thought I would ever drive a car as long as I have driven this one. It owes me nothing, continues to perform nearly as well as it did when I got it and the needed repair work over the years has been very minor compared to almost any other car I have owned in my 71 years. Not only is the air ride rear suspension a delight to ride on, but the fuel mileage using the recommended low octane fuel rivals a lot of much smaller cars being sold new today with an easy 25 mpg highway. I had considered selling or trading this car several times over the years, but it's difficult to give up a machine like this one that never gives me any trouble and costs so little to maintain. Like any car, it requires some needed repairs from time to time, but if it is well maintained, oil changed with Mobil 1 on a regular basis without fail, etc., this is a car you can depend on year after year after year. A year ago I took it on a 1,500 mile road trip and had no trouble with it. Consumer Reports lists this car as one of the most reliable ever made and due to the fact that Town Cars have huge depreciation from new, buying a used one is one of the best bargains out there today. If I have to replace it at some point in the future, it will be with another Town Car.

Looking for second 1997 Lincoln Town Car

by PGAPRO from North Port, FL | February 13, 2011

Purchased present 1997 TC with 54,000 miles in 2004. Car now has 205,000 miles. I am looking for second TC. Plan to drive the second TC 200,000+ miles. Take my present TC to Indiana and only drive during summer. The (new)second, plan to drive it this summer west through Montana, Texas, Indiana and back to Florida. Only minor repairs and able to get used replacement parts. At 190,000 air suspension went out and replaced with springs. I have spent less than $3,300 for major repairs. Replaced radio control for $50 and heat/ac for $300. Awesome car! Ford make another model this good

A Small Limo

by the 11 year old kid that knows to much about cars from Hawthorn Woods, IL | November 25, 2010

"This car is like a mini limo. It is the last of its kind the sharp and pointy look after that came the rounded look. Even though this car is used for just getting around it also has many transporting skills. This car also still runs so strong after many years and will keep running strong for years to go on!"

Best Car I've Owned

by Tall One from Mason, MI | October 28, 2010

I love my '97 TC Signature Edition! I bought it (for a great price, I might add) with 71,000 miles on it and I am still driving it with over 163,000! It's extremely comfortable, basically a living room on wheels and the many power gadgets still work great! There's lots of room for our two car seats and the enormous trunk is great for all the kids stuff when we travel. Other than typical maintenance and few sensors, then biggest repair I've done was replace the intake manifold at 153,000, which I knew was common on the 4.6 V8. I was surprised at how much power it has given the weight of the vehicle and only having 210hp, but the torque helps. It gets good gas mileage at close to 20 mpg. on average and 24-25 mpg. on the hwy (I don't baby it either). These are great vehicles for great price!

OLD RELIABLE

by Bob the designer from Wichita, Kansas | February 27, 2010

The 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature model is the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned over 50 cars. I bought it for $3000.00 because it had high mileage of 151,000 miles. I have now owned it for 2 1/2 years. So far, I have bought 4 used tires with good tread left for $40.00 at a garage sale. Other than that, I have not spent one penny on anything except regular oil changes. It always starts, rides quietly and serene, has an enormous trunk, each and every one of the electronic doo-hickeys work perfectly, gets great gas mileage with 19 mpg all around, and 25.3 on a 1,200 mile trip. I have never heard of a car that was more dependable than my Lincoln. Oh...I forgot to mention. I did spend $39.99 plus freight for the stainless steel wheel well trim that is standard on the Cartier model. I don't think they make cars any better today, when reliability is considered.

Best car I've ever had

by Cartier Owner from Denham Springs, LA | September 6, 2009

I was fortunate to purchase my '97 Town Car Cartier edition for a very reasonable price in Oct. 2008. It is very roomy, comfortable and relaible. Gas mileage is reasonable since it is not used over 500 miles per week. My husband has a spinal cord disease which causes him a great deal of pain, and the Town Car is excellent for him because is allows him to ride comfortably. The muli-function buttons on the steering wheel are very handy. It allows me to keep my eyes focused on the road. Six passenger seating in a sedan is hard to come by in newer cars. The Town Car does not disappoint, and the style is still outstanding.

Best Car I have ever driven

by Sonny from Anchorage, Alaska | June 4, 2009

I have owned two Town Cars- a 1993 Signature and a 1997 Cartier. I would still be driving the 93 if it had not been totaled by a drunk driver. The Cartier is noting but pure comfort and power. I have driven the Cartier for 10 years now and really wish that Lincoln would go back to this design. The last of the great American luxury cars.

Looking for another

by Happy In Texas from Central Texas | November 8, 2008

I have owned two. Both used and loved them both. One got an honest 27 MPG on the road. The other only 24! 16+ in town. Much better than SUV's and so roomy and comortable and quiet. Didn't have serious problems with either, but found someone who wanted them more than I did! Now, I want a third, before they are just too old to be reliable. I have considered a little newer T/C but haven't found one that is as quiet as the 97's. I also owned a '91 that I loved, but it was a money pit -- unlike the 97's. My biggest grip was no in dash CD player. One had it in the trunk, but was a chore to change CD's. That being said, it will NOT keep me from finding one more cream puff!!

Featured Services for this Lincoln Town Car