2005 Lotus Elise

2005 Lotus Elise
Available in 1 styles:  2dr Convertible shown

23 city / 27 hwy

Overall

Honest assessment of an iconic sports car

by Hill William from Nashville, TN | January 12, 2014

Loud, harsh, brutal accelerating, turn on a dime street legal go kart. Gorgeous lines, sexy car, with no sweeter backside in the auto world. At 43k miles and some careless ingress/egress by previous owner, my interior was showing some unflattering wear and tear. Had seats redone and added a bit more padding which is awesome over the stock race buckets. Mine has some rattles from the composite body panels but seems likely given the extreme suspension. Replacement parts are a scavenger hunt, but that is part of the fun of owning a Lotus. The powertrain from Toyota with a Lotus computer is a beast even though the shifter is clunky. Hold on as the second cam comes on.

Great part time

by Lotus from | June 1, 2013

I love my Elise, but it is not for daily driving. Acceleration and cornering are great, as are the looks (obviously). But the ride is bump.

The funnest car I've owned

by P Bol from Los Angeles, CA | April 18, 2013

This definitely my favorite vehicle I've owned. I get the opportunity to drive multiple cars, including exotics on the track and not very many leave a smile on my face quite like the Lotus does. This car is more so meant for a True Driving enthusiast...NO Stability programs or Traction Control (at least in my case) to interfere. Considering the things that are important to me such as Driving Fun, Closer feeling to a racecar, Minimal options, and the eye catching eye attention you get from this car...the Lotus is it. If your really into the gizmos and comfort, this car is not for you. It is true that it is relatively hard to get out of due to the high door sill, but you watch enough YouTube videos, you get use to it. Once your in, it is comfortable...just give you an idea...I'm 6'2" 240 lbs. and I drive it just fine, but I wouldn't want another one of me in the passenger seat, which why my wife is typically my only passenger. If you ever need to perform mechanical repairs or maintenance...you will spend a considerable amount of time more than expected getting to parts...For example, you'll have to remove 13 bolts in order to remove the skid plate and then you can change the oil and filter (BTW, be careful when you jack this car up and where jack is...better to leave to the dealership if you considered yourself just "handy"). I personally Instruct and teach racing for a living and highly recommend this vehicle for any beginner to advanced driver due to the fact that it's a very forgiving platform to learn on and also requires smooth and concise driving to be fast on the track. Hope this helps!

Absolute Junk

by hinotes15 from Los Angeles, CA | November 12, 2011

The Elise is by a LONG way the worst car I've ever driven. I've seen people say that it's a "hard-core" sports car....whatever. It has the engine out of a lawnmower. Interior is a joke, just a plasticy rattle trap. Also, the roof leaks and has virtually no suspension. Riding a motorcycle would be quieter. A specialty dealer gave me an Elise with 1000 miles on it to drive for 5 days while considering a purchase....I brought it back after 12 hours.

love my Lotus

by djbrianc from Baltimore | September 19, 2011

I get so much attention. even when other exotics are around. thats the icing on the cake because i bought my lotus to impress me not others. FUN FUN FUN, its only down side is hard as rock suspension and poor sound insulation.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Lotus junk

by woody from | February 3, 2011

I was the 2nd person in Texas to get this car. On the drive home from Austin the air conditioning didnot work. The car spent 29 days of the first 90 in the shop. The dealer had to take the front end apart to get down to the air conditioner. They found insulation in the duct work. On the way home I was past off the line by a Toyota. Then I realized that the 0-60 numbers were achieved by flooring the gas and popping the clutch. I doubt anyone drives like that. I was so glad to get rid of this car. I came out of a Ferrari to the Lotus and into a Corvette. No comparison in these 3 cars. The Lotus was pure junk. I read what others write and wonder what they are used to driving.

hardcore sports car enthusiasts won't regret it

by Lotus Enthusiast from Los Angeles, CA | August 8, 2009

The elise is easily the most fun sports car a hardcore enthusiast can buy. Yes, it has a few tradeoffs like a high door sill, but never has there been a car that I was so emotionally attached to. I have owned 4 porsches in the past and now I cannot even think of buying another porsche. The car is that satisfying.

The Elise is the last of the purebred sportscars

by Whatever from Los Angeles | November 1, 2008

I've had mine for two years. I'm a real enthusiast of driving, I don't really care much about luxury, but the mechanicals and the functionality of a sports car are extremely important to me. For that reason the Elise is a total gem in a field of soft, over-stuffed, wannabe sportscars - Porsche, Ferrari, you name it and they are SOFT. The Elise is reliable, does not complain after days of hard track driving and canyon cruising. It's a joy on open roads - as long as they are smooth. As far as city driving goes, I wouldn't recommend it for someone who needs a luxurious ride at all. It's very short, fairly rough on the bumps - it's a pure-sports car - enough said. It does get GREAT gas mileage although I've never calculated it. I think I'm getting 30mpg on the hwy. Remember that this car has a bombproof toyota drivetrain and it works very well for this car. The suspension is 100% Lotus, which means you cannot find better. The interior is exquisite for a pure-sports car in my opinion. I a world of wannabe drivers in wannabe sports cars that cost tens if not hundred of thousands more, the Lotus is a wonderful option for the true enthusiast. Get one while you can.

Great Fun Car...

by Asian Racer from San Diego | March 10, 2007

Great and fun car, but not one to take on a road trip...Seats are thin and not well padded, but does give adequate support. Getting into the car requires a feat of flexibility, but once in the car proves to be roomy and quite user friendly.

Most incredible car I've ever driven!

by flys from Philadelphia | October 22, 2006

Nothing handles like this car - You look forward to every turn and bend you can find. A true sports car!

Featured Services for this Lotus Elise