Maybach has three versions of its extended-length Type 62 model: the Type 62, a quicker Type 62 S and a new, more-powerful Zeppelin. The Type 62 competes with the extended-length Rolls-Royce Phantom VI and Bentley Arnage RL. Most Type 62s are custom-built to buyers' specifications. It takes nearly five months to construct and deliver Maybachs, which are sold through Mercedes-Benz dealerships.
Changes for 2010
There's a new higher-end Zeppelin model. It features a two-tone paint finish, more opulent interior features and additional power under the hood. Only 100 examples are scheduled to be built worldwide.
Seventeen body colors are available, and two-tone paint schemes can be specified. The Type 62 S gets a modified front end, 20-inch wheels and an exclusive black, silver or white paint job. An optional panoramic glass rear roof is electrotransparent and can change the amount of light that enters the cabin. Zeppelin models gain a two-tone paint scheme and a unique wheel finish called Chrome Shadow.
- 19-inch wheels
- Optional 20-inch wheels
- Power rear panoramic sunroof
- Bi-xenon headlamps that swivel during turns
- Power-closing rear doors and trunk
- Auto-dimming, heated side mirrors
- Automatic rain-sensing wipers
- Heated washer fluid
The Type 62 comes standard in a four-occupant configuration, though the car can be built to hold five. Buyers can mix options with an immense standard-equipment list in numerous combinations to suit specific tastes. Buyers can choose from six Grand Nappa leather colors and three types of wood. Many custom options are available, including replacing the wood trim with granite. Gold — real gold — is also available as an interior trim. Zeppelin models add a diamond quilting pattern to the seats and unique leather combinations. An available Business Package includes wireless internet and an onboard color printer. The Type 62 S offers piano lacquer and carbon fiber trim with exclusive black or white leather. Integrated leather piping comes in black or silver. On the Zeppelin, an available perfume diffuser can inject the interior with different aromas.
- Leather seats
- Wood, aluminum, carbon fiber, stone or gold-plated trim
- Alcantara simulated suede headliner
- Heated front and rear seats
- Quad-zone automatic climate control
- Navigation system
- 21-speaker Bose surround-sound audio system
- TV/DVD player and remote control
- Rear refrigerator and rear folding tables
- Optional cooled front and rear seats
Under the Hood
Maybach says the Type 62 can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 5.68 seconds. The Type 62 S gets a firmer suspension and can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in 5.21 seconds. Special technical features include an electronic braking system and an Airmatic Dual Control air suspension.
- 543-horsepower, 5.5-liter V-12 with 664 pounds-feet of torque (Type 62)
- 604-hp, 6.0-liter V-12 with 738 pounds-feet of torque (Type 62 S)
- 631-hp, 6.0-liter V-12 with 739 pounds-feet of torque (Zeppelin)
- Five-speed automatic transmission with auto-manual controls
- Speed-sensitive steering
- Adaptive air suspension
The Type 62 comes standard with Mercedes' Tele Aid emergency communication system, which includes features like remote vehicle recovery, route assistance and emergency services.
- Front and rear side-impact airbags
- Side curtain airbags
- Daytime running lights
- Four-wheel antilock brakes with traction control
- Electronic stability system
- Front and rear parking sensors with backup camera