1997 Mazda 626

See Photos & Videos

Overall

My Best Car

by Hard to let go from Florida | December 7, 2013

I got my 97 626 in 2000 with 30,000 miles on it. I ran it up to 250,000 miles. When I sold it, it was still running strong. Keep up the maintenance on this car, and it will not let you down. I am looking for another one now. I miss my baby.

They don't make them like this anymore

by mazda4life from Atlanta, GA | April 17, 2012

I have had my Mazda 626 for 14 years and outside of replacing wear and tear parts (clutch, timing belt, ect), I have never had any problems with the motor. I have 256000 + miles on it and it still drives wonderful. I even take it on road trips. I've always used mid-grade gas and kept the scheduled oil changes and tune-ups. I love it love it love.

My late '97

by Nebraska from Nebraska | January 23, 2012

Bought a "97 real cheap fixer upper a couple of years ago. High Mileage. School car. 626 4 Cyl 5-spd. Put a couple of thousand into it. I liked it. Was planning on putting another $1000 into it and keeping it--until accident last week. Son's accident-- BOTH A-Bags deployed. Not at fault. He is okay. Looking for another Mazda. REALLY like them once you get the--- timing belt/ tensioner/ water pump/ front end assy/ Struts /brakes/tires fixed--then it drives and runs like a champ !! Cheap on gas. Reliable. Easy starter. Runs all day. I drove it some, too. Good town or hi-way car. Will get my $$ back from Ins Co. as I saved all receipts. Looking for 2000 to 2002 model. I still have my '95 626 5-spd with 150K miles--still running strong. I would rec used 626's 5 spd to anyone--but, avoid the automatics, they say.

Trouble

by 626 for 3 years from houston | May 15, 2010

Perhaps it's who I bought it from and they didn't take care of it but this was my first car and I don't think anybody else should have to go through the trouble I went through with my 626. I bought it at ~120,000 and parted ways around ~160,000. So glad. I'd take this car to the shop every 8 months or so...mostly transmission problems. Be sure to add at least $3000 to the price of the 626 you're considering buying. Other than that, it was a nice ride because it was the sportier version.

My Third Mazda

by musicman from Philly, pa | November 30, 2006

I've owned this mazda for five years I bought it used. It' has been relatively trouble free. but you own a car long enough and it'll give you problems. The engine as a whole has been great, I have the V-6 and a manual and I love driving it to this day. It's very quick and sporty it has a great feel for the road and I feel really confident throwing it into the curves. It's also very roomy larger than the new 6's i'v e got a few large friends and they all fit comfortably in the large back seat. The only problem that I've had has been the cooling system it losses coolant for no appearant reason but I just keep an eye on my fluids and no problems. Previously owned a mazda mx-6 w/ man trans and it had a similar coolant issue, and an 87 626 2-door that I put 180,000 miles on. I'm very happy with this mazda. Zoom-Zoom

Quick little car

by Adam from Minnesota | June 12, 2006

I have a V6 manual. I had heard that the automatic transmissions have problems, but my manual has been great. Hasn't broke down much, but when it does it costs an arm and a leg and then some. But overall it's quick, sporty, gas mileage is about 24 mpg, not the greatest, but it's decent for a 6 cylinder.

Featured Services for this Mazda 626