1999 Mazda 626

Kelley Blue Book Retail

Est. MPG

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great car easy to keep clean and maintained

by Mazda Lover from Anderson, Sc | August 31, 2012

I have a 1999 Mazda 626 and it has over 200k miles and still drives like a dream!!! Just have had to do regular maintenance but it has continued to be a great reliable car. I love the size of the trunk it looks small and sporty but that trunk can hold anything!!!

A workhorse & fun to drive

by TaeKwan from Saint Cloud, MN | October 11, 2011

I bought my '99 626LX (V6, 2.5l engine) when it was five years old and had close to 100,000 mostly highway miles on it. It it a nice looking car and was still very peppy when I bought it. I drove it for six more years and just sold it for $2000 with 152,000 miles on it. I definitely got my money's worth out of this car. I had a '91 626 previously, so I knew that Mazdas are quality cars. The '99 was nice and roomy and had a very large trunk. It was comfortable to drive, great for passing with a 5-speed transmission and the V6 engine. Repair bills were few and pretty reasonable. The AC was still cranking when I sold the car, and it was still a nice-looking car after 12 years of use. I had to move up to a minivan because I have twins, otherwise I would have bought a Mazda 6.

Hot car ... in more ways than one!

by Pontious from Houston, TX | June 30, 2011

Good: very roomy, great a/c, decent gas mileage, not too outdated to be out of style. --------------------------------- Bad: iffy cruise control, keyless entry issues. -------------------------------- Ugly: car overheats like no other! -------------------------------- Good: Got this car from the in-laws, and was very impressed with the tons of room. 6'2" guy here that keeps the driver seat all the way back, and there is a decent amount of room left behind me. Not "Cadillac" room, but enough to be comfortable. There is a ton of storage space; the trunk is a great size. The a/c in this car is unmatched. In Texas heat, this baby hits ice cold in minutes of start-up. Performance is great; our model has the overdrive on/off switch on the shifter, so I can easily get around the crazy drivers in my town. The car is also very stylish-neutral; in that, I mean you won't turn any heads ... either by looking too cool or too bad. I think this car is invisible to cops ... at least in a city environment because it's a "blender." ------------------------------------------ Bad: My main issue with this car is the cruise control. I love cruise control, even on city highways. I find that if I haven't already reached a "stable" speed before switching it on, the cruise control varies 9-13 miles per hour on flat stretches. I usually just switch it completely off on the steering wheel, stabalize my speed, re-engage the cruise control, and it's fine. It's annoying to me, but I can see where it could cause a big issue in lots of traffic, or at least get a cop's attention if you are alone of the highway. The keyless entry has also caused an issue with the drivers-side window. The window has a hard time going completely down, and it will unlock the door and prevent it from closing (if you open it with the window down). I'm pretty sure this wasn't a factory-installed keyless entry set; but if it was then somebody messed up and put some tension on the locking mechanisms. ------------------------------------------ The Ugly: this car overheats. A lot. I've heard this from other 626ers ... I've had it in the shop at least 4 times. Granted, once was because the shop didn't refill the resevoir after replacing it when cleaning the system out, but the other 3 times were out of nowhere. Each time the mechanic has said that the resevoir was empty. I make it a point to check it at least once a week. Unsure as to why it was empty, the mechanics never find a leak. There was also a time where it overheated and the resevoir was 3/4 full. Keep your eye on the thermometer and keep some coolant handy! ---------------------------------------------- Verdict: a very solid car that needs tlc early to be a long-laster. I have 200k miles on mine, but have had to put some work into it. With it getting older and older there will probably be more and more issues with overheating, so if you are thinking about buying one, have your mechanic completely check out the cooling system. ------------------------------------------------- For a 13 year old car, I'm have been very impressed. If I can ever figure the cooling issue out, I think this car will last awhile longer.

Had care for 12 years

by Memyself&I from Southwest VA | May 28, 2011

I've had this car for 12 years. It still shines and looks good. Never had a bit of trouble with the transmission. It's reliable, good in snow, rain, etc. Gets really good mileage (about 33 MPG highway), lots of room inside and big trunk, comfortable. Runs like a champ still.

Mazda Car

by gdolgal from Atlanta, GA | December 23, 2010

I bought this car used; it was my second Mazda and I love the model however as with the first Mazda I had transmission problems. The transmission needed to be rebuilt. Both cars were the 626 model and I love the interior and the exterior design. But buyer beware the transmission is often the issue with these cars.

Best kept secret out there for the money

by lladnarg from Fort Collins | June 7, 2010

I've been selling Mazdas since January of 2007 and if there is one trade-in I see with 300 - 400 thousand miles on it, its the 626! For people who like to "drive it til the wheels fall off" they'll give up before the 626 does! I was lucky enough to find one without dents, torn up seats and genereally, in good condition. 170,000 miles is NOTHING to these cars. Just make sure it checks out on Carfax or better yet AutoCheck and then BUY IT.

Great Used Car

by theroys88 from Midlothian, VA | March 20, 2010

We recently bought this car as extra car for our soon to be driving son. However, it is so fun to drive, I drive it almost daily. We purchased it with 83K miles on it and the only issue is the traction control button doesn't light. Other than that, it is a great used car value for the money. Very peppy with great handling. Can't say too much about long term reliability, but the engine runs strong and our mechanic says it has miles and miles to go. Will look for another one when our second son start driving.

It's alright....

by B-ran from San Angelo, TX | October 2, 2009

Beware future buyers by about this time if your thinking of buying this vehicle be aware that Mazda 626 have very bad transmissions. I've had this car for 4 years and i've had to repair the flywheel and now the transmission needs to be rebuilt. Not to mention that the owner before me had to rebuild the transmission about a year before i bought it. I am not alone at the shop there are about 4-5 626s in there that are in need or are about to need a new flywheel/rebuilt trans. So beware of this car by this time in it's lifetime it will probably be in need of at least $1500 worth of repairs.

Good to have car

by Raul from Charlotte | January 20, 2007

I have a 99 626 ES and am very happy with it. The leather interior, controls, sunroof and Bose system are amazing.

Featured Services for this Mazda 626