2013 Mazda CX-5

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Better than Honda CRV or RAV4

by Ravi from Boston, MA | April 2, 2014

I like this car better than Honda CR-v or RAV 4. 2014 Honda CR-V is not unified the navigation and other bluetooth screens. RAV4 is not designed well at dashboard. Mazda CX-5 's arm rest is not designed well. There are no cup holders for the back seaters.

most reliable car i have owed

by sav34 from mirabel qu├ębec canada | February 26, 2014

i do own a mazda cx5 2013 since July 2012. The car is comfortable but if would have a bit more power it would the best. i think they have solved the problem last year with the 2.5 engine

Fun little car

by azjim1 from Tucson AZ | February 12, 2014

I've had my CX-5 Sport just over 6 months. I bought it to replace my 2004 Corolla I used primarily for in town transportation. For the negative.... I hate the location and the color of the clock. I'm frequently taking my eyes off the road to look at it, and then when I see it, I can't read it because my sunglasses filter it out. I also think automatic headlights should be standard. Since the display on the dash is always lighted, I have caught myself driving with only the driving lights on at night. I read reviews about the wind and road noise... It is slightly higher than my Chevy Silverado, about the same as my GF's 2014 Toyota Tacoma. An option I wanted is the Backup Camera. It isn't available for the 2013 Sport, just the Backup Sensors... . For the positive. This car is a blast to drive. Mine only has the 2 Liter engine with the 6 speed automatic If you put your foot into it, it will beat a Corolla. I average 31 MPG on my commutes to work in town. I don't have my foot into it, but I move with the traffic. This beats my old Corolla in town.. On the highway, my Corolla would beat it, I have been getting 35 MPG with the CX-5, I was getting 37 with the Corolla. I almost feel like I'm comparing apples and oranges between the two, this car seems so much bigger and sportier than my old Corolla. It also seats 3 in the back seat much more comfortably with much more leg room. I frequently get compliments from people on how much they like the appearance of my car (never got one with the Corolla I can remember). . With 2013 being the first year for the engine and transmission, I had doubts about reliability. I purchased the Extended Warranty (which i probably wouldn't purchase on the Toyota Corolla-very reliable) so the cost of ownership (in my case) is higher. . So far I've greatly enjoyed the car. If you're considering buying a car like a Corolla or Sentra, look at the CX-5, they're more value with similar operating cost..

Love it except for........

by Blondie's CX5 from Duffield, Va. | January 21, 2014

I've owned a RX8 and the handling is similar. I love just about everything about the CX5 except for the type of fuel needed to run the vehicle right. My husband will only use the No Ethanol gas in our vehicles, but their has been times when I have needed gas and couldn't find a station selling that type of fuel and had to put regular gas in my vehicle. A couple of times doing that and my check engine light came on with 17,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and when they checked it they said their was a miss and couldn't find out why. To make a long story short, the Tech advised NOT to use regular gas in it at all. Ever. I thought new vehicles were able to handle fuel with Ethanol in it, but I guess I was wrong. Pretty disappointed with this and hoping I never have to travel somewhere and not be able to find No Ethanol gas......

Overall great car, small nitpicks

by New Mazda Owner from Northern Virginia | January 21, 2014

We purchased a 2014 Mazda Cx-5 last March (2013) because we wanted the larger engine. Boy was that a good decision. The little thing has ample torque to get up and going in all weather. The AWD works seamlessly and confidently. Overall we are averaging 25 mpg and that's with combined city and highway driving. On the highway we easily hit 30+ mpg. While it's not the most supple ride (think Lexus or Toyota) it is certainly comfortable. Interior is quiet and road noise is kept to a minimum. The only gripes I have are silly things. The UI for the infotainment system could use a little help, but it's far from unusable. The interior is a class above the rest. We felt like Honda and Toyota have been going for these goofy "boombox" like interiors, and this one is classy and moder, if not sparse. We purchased the full loaded Grand Touring with all the bells and whistles. Overall we would recommend this car to anyone who is interested. One thing to note is that it has a timing chain, not a belt. Typically this equates to extremely long endurance and reliability. So far we have 14k miles on it and it runs like the day we got it.

Looks good outside, but not well-designed inside

by Buyer's Remorse from Syracuse, NY | January 4, 2014

We just bought a 2014 CX-5 Touring less than a month ago and, unfortunately, we're looking at options for replacing it. . THE GOOD: - Looks nice - Cargo space is wide and deep - Excellent passing acceleration, even at 75 mph . THE BAD: - Hands-free is very difficult to use... poor design - Touch-screen UI is poorly designed. - Many interior controls (windows, locks, wipers) are not lit and hard to find at night - As noted by another reviewer, child seats in the back row have very little leg space, so the person in the front seat will often feel a little foot being pressed into their back (and there is no hard plastic seatback protector like on other cars) - Power window lock button actually disengages the driver's control of other windows, as well. So it must be disengaged for even the driver to control the window (WHY?!?!?) . SUMMARY: Again... We missed all of the bad during our test drives because they aren't things you tend to look at. Having driven this thing for a few weeks now, though... we are pretty dissatisfied with it. The interior and controls design is so poor that you have to wonder how a company that prides itself in design could have built it. . Sadly, we are looking to replace this car already. Not excited about taking the loss on this, but it's hard to drive a car that constantly annoys the heck out of you.

Not perfect, but very good

by Old Guy from Minneapolis, MN | December 16, 2013

Confronted with sizable out-of-pocket expenses for scheduled maintenance on my '06 PT Cruiser, I started shopping online. I regularly haul a pair of grandchildren, both small enough to need car seats, so I needed a bit of interior room and flexibility. The PT Cruiser's mediocre gas mileage had me also looking for improvement in that area. Somewhat to my surprise, and after dozens of comparisons, online and in person, the CX-5 was my choice. It's the first really new "new" car I've had in 19 years. Positives: I've driven small cars, and preferred them, all my life. The CX-5 is the largest vehicle I've ever owned, but it drives as if it were smaller. Handling is nimble, and the 6-speed gearbox might be the best manual transmission I've ever used, and I've used a lot of them over 69+ years. Throws are short, gear ratios are very well spaced, engagement is crisp, and frankly, it's a pleasure to row through the gears in traffic. 6th is truly an overdrive for highway use, and I don't generally use it under 50 mph. The interior isn't revolutionary in design, but it's attractive and restrained, which is fine with me. Seating is comfortable, though a bit flat for my tastes. More expensive trim levels have more seat adjustments than the base model I purchased, and that might help. There's plenty of headroom (I'm 6' 1"), and in a pinch, I can carry grandkids in their car seats, one parent in front, and the other squeezed between the car seats in back. That's not a comfortable arrangement for the adult in the back, however. I very much like the USB port inside the console, which allows me to use my iPod for music, but keeps it out of sight in the console. The CX-5 base model with the 6-speed won't win many drag races, but I'm getting a little old for that, and I'd rate the power as "adequate." Not at all exciting, but sufficient, and so far, I'm getting 27 to 28 MPG in purely city driving, so I've no complaints in that regard. I'm looking forward to a road trip in the summer to test the car's highway manners and mileage over a longer period. It warms up quickly (important here in Minnesota), and since I did not opt for all-wheel drive, winter traction with front wheel drive is "adequate," but no more. The base model comes with virtually every feature I'd probably order in years gone by, including A/C, 4-wheel disc brakes, alloy wheels, etc. One of my few complaints is that base models are available only in Silver, Dark Gray and Black, and the lack of color was almost a deal-killer for me. Another complaint is that the more powerful engine, with only a 1 mpg mileage penalty, is not available for the base model. Mazda complicates it even further by only offering the 6-speed manual in the base model. So, moving up a trim level to get a color or a larger engine means having to give up the 6-speed. I wasn't willing to do that. So far, I'm very well satisfied with the car. It's substantially larger than the cars I've owned and driven previously, and standing outside it, the increase in size is evident, but behind the wheel, it's nimble and quick to react, and feels and drives much smaller (and genuinely "sportier") than it really is. Most SUVs, regardless of size, look pretty much like boxes on wheels. That's not nearly so much the case with the CX-5, and I very much like its looks. Despite being larger, it has a lower coefficient of drag than the PT Cruiser it replaces. For now, at least, I'm a fan.

love my new car

by Sporty, reliable, perfect from | June 26, 2013

I have owned my car for about a month now. Love love love it! I was looking for a sporty, safe, great mpg, lots of options, FWD with good clearance and I found it in my Mazda CX-5. I was not looking/researching Mazdas. We had previously owned a Mazda van which I was unhappy with so this was a total surprise. So, glad I stumbled onto this car...very happy with it!

MY FAVORITE CAR YET--RAKISH GOOD LOOKS

by Aggie Driver from Dallas, Texas | June 12, 2013

I love this car!! It's my first SUV, replacing my beloved Mazda 6 wagon that I drove for 10 years. Its futuristic body design exceeds all expectations, especially in the metallic silver. The Bose sound system is spectacular and impressive to all my friends who ride along. Everything is so convenient to manage from the driver's seat with the very thoughtfully designed technology package. Two things I really appreciate are the camera that shows me how to back up and the beep that signals a car is coming too close to change lanes. The Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring model is huge luxury and safety at a very, very reasonable investment. So proud to drive it!

Best Car Oops SUV I have ever Owned

by Army Mom from Virginia | April 24, 2013

After much research and having owned a Mazda SUV for the last 6 years. My husband and I drove and compared many models. We tested Toyota 4runners and the Rav 4. I just couldn't bring myself to test the Ford Escape (to us it was just ugly). Having gotten used to gas mileage with my previous Mazda of 23/city and around 30/highway, I really wasn't willing to sacrifice my gas mileage. We finally decided to take a test drive and were immediately smitten by the CX-5. This was a vehicle my husband an I liked equally. I brought it home and was in love, but thought that might fade over time...but...it hasn't we are more in love with it today than the day of purchase. Ours is the 2013 Grand Touring AWD, with virtually every option but GPS and dimming mirror. The performance is amazing, the heated seats are a welcome change in cold weather. Love the back-up camera, blind spot indicators on mirrors, the moon roof as well as the push button start. But the thing we love the most is the gas mileage we average 28/town and 34/ highway. The fact that is looks fantastic with the 19 wheels and it drives like my sports car I had when much younger(I didn't say as fast) it handles like a dream. My husband who has always had trucks just said tonight he wouldn't mind having another CX5 to replace his truck(that speaks volumes my hubby would have NEVER considered anything but a truck. Mazda has exceeded our expectations on not only this vehicle but the one we previously owned. I could write a book on all the reasons why my family love this vehicle. You just have to drive it to realize you can have it all. Space, gas mileage, AWD, a smorgasboard of standard options, cargo space, roomy interior, as well as very comfortable to ride and drive.