2014 Mazda CX-5

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Mazda CX5 - Best Zoom Zoom for the Buck

by NewYawker from Long Island, NY | April 10, 2014

Mazda has hit a home run with this vehicle. I purchased a fully loaded 2015 Grand Touring for my daughter. I am comfortable that this Mazda will get her safely through her 4 yrs of college and to her first job no problem. It has sharp looks, drives great and has every option one could need. Great navigation and phone integration. Blind spot monitor, leather htd seats, etc. The only feature I would say is missing is memory for the seats. The truck has a 5 star crash rating. I am very pleased and feel the Mazda offers the most value for the dollar compared to other vehicles in it's class.

Solid small SUV

by Driver from Fiarview, TX | March 28, 2014

Have had my Mazda CX5 Grand Touring for almost 10 months. 9500 miles with no issues. Great handling, averaged 25.5 MPG in town and highway. Only small complaint on the road noise. Don't know if replacement tires for the Toyo's would make a difference. I like all the bells and whistles.....xenon headlights, good sound system, side view warning system, etc. Granted, it is not at the level of the premium entries I was considering (X3, Q5 or XC60), but for $20 grand less, a great value. Ready to get my second oil change and tire rotation. No mechanical issues at all. I like it.

CX-5: Great vehicle but not perfect

by kdaug from Fredericton, NB, Canada | March 25, 2014

I have been looking for a small SUV for over a year. I had focussed in on the Ford Escape Titanium, Sante Fe SE, and Toyota RAV 4 Limited initially but not the CX-5. I then was narrowing my choice down to the Escape or Sante Fe because of their more powerful turbo 2.0L engine. But, I then ruled out the Sante Fe as it was just a bit to big, also ruled out the RAV-4 as they didn't have real leather in their top Limited model(not acceptable), just pretend leather(leatherette), and there were knobs/controls so low down under the front console I couldn't see them without bending over, as I am tall. This left the Escape which I really liked but then after reading reports of their extremely poor gas mileage and reliability I ruled it out as well. I had then started reading very favorable reports on the CX-5 and after test driving a GT(without Nav) was completely smitten and the deal was then done. I love this SUV... power, comfort, style,( Bose) 9 speaker sound system, ergonomics...everything I wanted in an SUV. I opted not to get the Tech upgrade with Nav as I had read several negative reviews on the Nav system in the 2013 and 2014 models. The dealer told me a Nav upgrade is due for the soon to be released 2015 model so I decided to hold off and add a NAV(with this upgrade) a bit later( as I think the CX-t is the only SUV out there which you can add Nav as an upgrade...although not cheap). My gas mileage is not up to advertised specs, but, it's winter, cold, snowy and slushy roads here in Canada at the moment. I expect to see better MPG's by spring and after my breakin period is over(I'm at about 3000 km). Yes, there is more road noise than the car I traded in, but this is more typical of suv's. The undercoating I had sprayed on took some of that noise away. My next set of summer tires in a couple of years will be switched to a model/brand which rides more quietly. If there were any major concerns they would be: a small vibration in the drivers mirror(well documented in the CX-5 forums), the heat to the front floor takes quite a while to warm up and there is also some heat coming out of the other vents when only set to the feet(the dealer says this is normal!!!???), and, I have a small vibration on acceleration up to about 40 kmh. Some people have complained about poor/blocked vision out of the rear window. Now I had the same issue in all the SUV's that I test drove. I solved the problem in my CX-5 by removing the 3 head restraints from the back seat. Problem solved. In conclusion I must say that I am a very discerning buyer and would never have bought this vehicle without considerable comparison. Every vehicle has some drawbacks but the CX-5 was the best overall in my mind. Absolutely no regrets!!

FUN-FUNCTIOAL

by JOHNNY COLS from COLUMBUS OHIO | March 23, 2014

MY NEEDED A NEW CAR AND DECIDED TO GO THE SMALL SUV ROUTE.AFTER REVIEWING THE BEST IN THIS CLASS WE WERE OFF FOR TEST RIDES.OF HONDA,FORD AND TOYOTA WE FOUND THE TOYOTA WAS THE CLOSEST ONLY BECAUSE OF THE INTERIOR.(A LITTLE MORE PLUSH).AS FOR DRIVING HANDLING AND PERFORMANCE NONE CAME CLOSE.THIS ONE IS EASY TO OWN AND VERY GOOD ON BACKROADES.VERY GRSACEFUL IN TIGHT TRAFFIC.IT IS ALSO A MONSTER IN DEEP SNOW.ALL WHEEL DRIVE IS GREAT.I AM 68 YEARS YOUNG AND NEVER OWNED A MORE VERSATLE ENJOYABLE VEHICLE.(EXCEPT MY 55 CHEVY WITH A 348CU IN MILL)

A responsive car with an excellent turning radiuo.

by Carlos from | March 15, 2014

We replaced our five year old Roque with a 2014 Mazda CX5. Immediately I noticed the CX5 is much more responsive. The transmission seems to react quickly and not wind out like the Roque. Turning is sharp and all the creature comforts are there. One has to read the manual however. The manual is the size of a phone book and full of the details you'll need to understand all the bells and whistles. My wife liked the storage arrangement in the Rogue better and I liked the slightly larger trunk space in the Rogue. All in all though, the willingness of the Madza dealer to negotiate much better than the other dealers made our decision easy.

A good car car ruined by road noise

by CX-5-Owner from Edmonton, Ab, CA | March 13, 2014

Unbelievable how noisy it is, on any road surface that isn't brand new. That's a pity, otherwise the car is remarkable, especially steering and acceleration for its size and weight (2014 model with 184 HP). The dashboard and controls should have been better designed, it seems that their design was left for a young team that tried to copy state-of-the-art cars and failed a little bit in everything. Anyway, a good car that proved to be very confident during this winter: not a slightest skid or sign that it would go out of control.

Great mileage and lots of room

by Hoarder on wheels from Southern Pines | March 10, 2014

Love this car. It has all the bells and whistles along with head room, room for long legs,and good mileage. My GPS voice is actually fun as a driving companion.

Great so far

by JJ from Morris, IL | March 5, 2014

I only have put on 1000 miles, but so far so good! I can't wait to see if the gas mileage goes even higher as it breaks in.

Bad begining good ending

by Cotoncandi33 from New Jersey | February 24, 2014

I was coming from a 2011 Mazda 3 sport, I had my eye on the CX-5 since it came out. I test drove it and fell in love. The interior/ exterior is very attractive, the seats are comfortable, the radio has a very nice touch screen with compatible Pandora radio. the sound system is very good, which also goes for all Mazdas. Amazing on gas! I actually think the Cx-5 sport is better then the MAZDA 3 Sport, which sounds crazy but I only fill it up once every 2 weeks....So I had my brand new Black 2014 CX-5 sport AWD for a month then things started going down hill. When I would put my car in reverse, the switch it to drive I would actually stall out. After it happened about 4 times , I brought it back to the dealer. They told me it would take a couple days to run some tests, so I was given a rental car(2014 Mazda 3 Touring). On my way home from the dealer my rental car's check engine light came on. I called the dealer, I was told to bring it back the next day, which I did. A guy must had just turned the check light off and sent me back on my way. Later that day the check engine light came back on. I brought it back and I asked if my CX-5 was ready yet. They said yet we fixed it. The entire system had to be restarted and was told it worked perfectly now. I was now happy to be in my new car again. 2 days later the same problem I was having to begin with happened again. When I switched from reverse to drive it would stall out. The problem was not fixed. Brought it back to the dealer, was told they will work on the problem again and try to figure out what was wrong with it. They gave me a rental , this time it was a 2000 Mazda 3 hatchback. It was so loud/ embarrassing to drive around. I was so upset that i didn't have my car. I would call every day and ask the status .Finally after 8 days of it being in the shop one of the mechanics told me they were going to have to replace the transmission. The next day i went back in the dealer. I asked to see in manager. I explained the situation i was in.Basically i got them i give me a new car. Ended up getting the same model 2014 CX-5 sport AWD , with the blue tooth package but I got it in a nice silver color this time. I got the same price 375 a month ( that was only because they had to factor in the older lease i traded in when i first bough the car) 0 down payment. Now I have had the car for over 7 months now. I got to drive it in the snow a lot so far. IT has good traction, easy to control. I haven't had a problem with this car so far. the only bad thing about this car so far is that the panels on the inside and outside fall off so easily, luckily i has found them every time, its an easy fix (just pop it back on) But in 15 degree weather its really annoying Sorry for venting about my experience. Hopefully you don't get a lemon car. Overall The 2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD is an amazing car that I enjoy driving every single day.=)

It's JUST okay

by gymgirl78 from king george, va | February 19, 2014

At first I was excited to be getting this, but after driving this around for about a month now I've changed my mind. Some major things to point out. It doesn't seem to be getting very good gas mileage. Now, I know that it's an SUV. However, it seems like I'm fueling up so much more now. I'm not traveling a whole lot, mostly highway with some city miles. I miss manual transmission, but they didn't have one that came up with bluetooth! It has a back up camera, but no sensors to warn you when you are close to an object?! A couple of minor things to point out. The gas pedal seems to be lower to the floor than what I'm used to, but that might be because I'm short, but still, why does it need to lower than the brakes? Then another annoying thing is that it's defaulted to have the temperature gauge in celsius. So you have to refer to the owner's manual to change it. Oh, and one more thing - if you have the air circulation set on feet/defrost or defrost, the inside air ventilation button doesn't work. It only works on other settings. Found that out the hard way. Maybe it's because technology has advanced and I'm just not used to it. I've always bought used cars.