2014 Mazda CX-5

2014 Mazda CX-5
Available in 6 styles:  2014 Mazda CX-5 FWD Sport Utility shown
Starting MSRP

Overall

12K miles and a year later...

by Eddy from Salem OR | April 20, 2015

Bought a 2014 CX-5 2.0 6 speed manual cretified pre-owned in exchange for a 2007 Matrix. I have to say that at first, I was not so impressed with the cx-5. Acceleration wasnt much beter than the Matrix, but I realized with time that the Mazda is a lot heavier. Im getting 32.5 miles per galon and it still driving just like when I bought it. It is very simplistic inside, but I dont use my car as my house, just to take me from here to there. I have to say that I am in love with my car now. Also, it is the only smaller suv that can tow 2K lbs, the other ones (CRV, RAV4, Forester, Escape) can tow less than that, so this summer I will take my pop up camper on it and try it out. With the gas milage, the 6 speed manual, and the body style, I have to say that my next car will be a CX-5, this in 7 to 10 years from now. The car is already paid off and now it is rest as the warranty that came with will last another 6 years or 70K miles. And I have to say, the mazda dealership where I take my car to oil changes has a great costumer service!!

Impressed overall B+

by crossover convert from Denver CO | April 14, 2015

I bought a 2014 Silver CX5 AWD 2.5liter Touring with the nav/tech upgrade with 10,138 miles 2 months ago. I have since driven it for about 3000 miles and so far so good. Likes include the upbeat and responsive 2.5 engine that is smooth and shifts up and down easily. The braking and handling abilities are impressive for a small SUV. As a previous subaru and jeep owner, this mazda out does both. Fuel economy is on par with what is listed with some variance. Driving in heavy traffic brought it down to 22.5mpg on occasion but I was happy to get about 32mpg on a recent road trip (at 65-75mph) through the southwest. Dislikes are minor, the navigation is basic nothing particularly innovative and sits too low in dash. The data provided in the display about range, avg mpg and mph is misleading and inaccurate (I used my odometer and math to calculate my mileage specs). The seats are on the firm side and road noise on the highway is tolerable. Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase and would advise others to consider the CX5. It certainly stands out in the crossover category.

I love my Mazda!

by the Gypsy Queen from Chicago | March 3, 2015

Traded my 2004 ford explorer EB edition v8 for my 14' CX-5 and I'm in love, I love driving it, I feel safe and it does great on gas! Totally recommend. Zoom,Zoom.

My first SUV

by An Old Guy from Minneapolis, MN | February 20, 2015

I bought my CX-5 16 months and just over 12,000 miles ago. It's my first Mazda, and my first SUV. Most of the driving has been in metro areas – some short highway sprints, some 30-40 mph arterial streets – but I've also taken it on one 2,600-mile cross-country trip from the Midwest to the Rocky Mountains and back. I did NOT get a special deal on the price, and expected to pay something of a premium because I know that manufacturers make more money from SUVs than from sedans. As vehicles go, this one is tall and relatively thin. I mostly bought it to replace a15-year-old sedan with a quarter of a million miles on it because I have small grandchildren to haul around town, and I didn't want to have to keep bending over to put them in their respective car seats. The CX-5 fills the bill very nicely as a versatile and economical family vehicle that is surprisingly fun and agile on the road. I bought the absolute base model, with no options, not because I couldn't afford the next trim level, but because I much prefer to be an "engaged" driver, and that requires a manual transmission. Mazda makes an excellent 6-speed manual transmission, but it's only available in the 2WD base model. In order to get that transmission, I was willing to limit my color choices and forego AWD. I still think Mazda should make the manual transmission available in other trim levels, and also with AWD. Over 12,000+ miles, the car, with base engine, won't win many drag races, but it's averaged just over 30 mpg in mostly city driving, and it handles beautifully. Braking is good, steering is quick and responsive, and I'd call the power curve "adequate." The 6-speed manual transmission is a joy to use, and for me, worth giving up AWD and better exterior color choices. Gear ratios are very intelligently placed, and 6th gear is a genuine overdrive, only useful over about 50 mph, but VERY useful at highway speeds. My base model came equipped with virtually everything I would have ordered – if I'd had to – from air-conditioning to disc brakes at all 4 corners. I plug my iPod into the USB port in the center console, and can listen to music for hours while the iPod itself remains hidden in the console. Steering wheel-mounted audio controls work as advertised, as do the dashboard buttons for the same purpose, and the steering wheel-mounted cruise control works dependably, as well. I'd like the back seat to fold flat instead of the shallow angle it now uses, but that's a fairly minor quibble. There's plenty of space behind the back seat with the seat back up, and it's pretty cavernous back there with the rear seat folded down. I'm happy with the mileage, performance, braking, human and cargo capacity, and the design and execution both inside and out. For an SUV, it's very attractive sheet metal. For those with small children, I've found car seats to be easy to attach via seat belt, and if yours requires anchoring to the vehicle, there are anchor points to permit as many as 3 car seats in the back seat area, though I only use 2 car seats.In short, I'm pretty pleased with my first Mazda, and would buy one again.

Transmission Problems

by Chris from Arlington Heights, IL | February 6, 2015

I have a 2014 CX5 bought brand new in May of 2013. By Jan 2014 I had 12,001 miles. That is when the transmission went. I could no longer drive it and had to have it towed to the dealer. It needed to have the entire transmission valve body replaced which took 10 days. On February 6, 2015 at 27,000 miles the transmission went a 2nd time. Again requiring a tow to the dealership. It is crazy to think that my vehicle is so unreliable that I could never take it on a long trip. Please look up all the the transmission problems that the CX5, and CX7 has. You will see that this is an ongoing issue with Mazda. I regret not getting the Subaru.

BAD BAD MPG

by Notafan from Tulsa, OK | February 3, 2015

Bought the CX5 Grand Touring mainly for it's gas mileage, the salesmen all bragged about how great it was and that I'd get better than rating of 25 city, 32 highway and 27 combined as per EPA. None of that was true. I'm lucky to get 22.5 combined. Best pure highway was 29, worst pure highway was 22. Best city was within first 4 months and that was 26 with some highway. worst city was 15.6. I don't gun it, I drive very conservatively and very seldom in rush hour traffic. These mpgs are all from cars calculation. Also the paint job is horrible, barely touch it and it chips off. The back of the driver's seat squeaks, the navigation is totally ridiculous - doesn't even begin to work. The sound system is putz. The middle AC vents hit me right on the right are (driver). Would have been better if they put the vents above the navigation screen. All in all, I don't recommend this vehicle. Don't know if I got a bad one or if these problems are fixable. Intend to take it in for the 10K oil change soon and hopefully they can/will fix these issues.

Zoom, Zoom

by AZBob from Mohave Valley, AZ | November 7, 2014

Front seats are a little hard, but interior fit and function are good. Great power with good gas millage, pleasure to drive!

THIS IS PERFECT!

by Thomas from Daytona Beach, Florida | October 16, 2014

When I first drove this car off the lot, I was immediately impressed. The technology in the car was incredible and it rode very smooth. It has great safety ratings too so safe as a family car!

Love my CX5

by Lexi from Brentwood, CA | September 13, 2014

I have no complaints about my CX5. People are impressed how much power it has for a SUV. I love the gas mileage it gets. It handles turns well. The navigation system is great and I never get lost now. The A/C system is great. I have a black CX5 and live in an area where it's close to 100 degrees. No problem in cooling the CX5 down fast. I am almost 5 feet tall and had problems with my knees hitting the below dash area. No problem with this in the CX5.. Love the camera in the back with the guiding lines so I can now parallel park with no problem.

Disappointed

by tree from Bucks County PA | September 1, 2014

For over a year I had been looking to purchase a new car. I was torn between Subaru and Mazda. I did a lot of research and spent hours reading reviews and test driving both makes. I chose Mazda because I was not comfortable with the CVT in the Subaru. I purchased an AWD 2014 CX-5 touring in April with almost 11,000 miles on it. I love the body style, the soul red paint and the handling but am disappointed with the gas mileage and quality of the interior. About a month ago, I noticed a crack in the plastic below the shifter trim, I don't know if it was the heat or if it was cracked before I purchased the car and it had been glued back together, either way, I had not noticed it before and you can not miss it. Since I had purchased an extended warranty, and the car had less then 12,000 miles on it, I took it to the dealer only to find out that trim is not covered under any warranty. Last week I noticed that the front driver seat is already starting to fray where the seat and back meet. ( I am under 5' tall and weigh less than 120 lbs so I shouldn't be putting too much stress on the fabric.) The carpet throughout the entire vehicle is very cheap.The plastic scratches easily. Please really look at the interior of the car and pay attention to the plastic, trim, fabric and carpeting. When people ask how I like my new car, it saddens me not to be able to say I love it. I would not have purchased this car if I had paid more attention to the detail/quality of the interior. The interior of my Ford explorer with 130,000 miles is in better condition than my brand new car. I don't think it will last 130,000 miles, I just hope it lasts 5 years until the car is paid off.