2010 Mazda CX-9

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great family car

by Bonnie from Lebanon, NH | May 2, 2014

I bought my 2010 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring 2 weeks ago with 60000 miles on it. I was in the market for a vehicle with 3rd row seating but wanted something a bit cooler looking than a minivan. This car did just the trick! Pros: The outside is very stylish. It doesn't quite look like a car, or an SUV or a minivan. People said they didn't realize it was 4 years old, it has similar styling to newer cars. The xenon headlights and 20" tires add a bit of class to it too. On the inside the Grand Touring has all the options. I love the 2 tone black leather seating. The touchscreen navigation unit is awesome. It has blindspot monitoring in each of the side mirrors. The dual climate control is really helpful. It has heated leather seats but I haven't tried them out since it's spring right now. I am in love with the power liftgate that allows you to open and close the trunk with hands full of groceries. The third row seat isn't huge but is definately big enough for my 5 and 2 1/2 year olds. Cons: Gas milage has been 15.3 (all city) but I din't expect that much from such a large vehicle. The second row seat is a bit cumbersome to move forward and back. There is no LATCH anchor system for carseats in the 3rd row. The sunroof is a bit small and farthur back (especially for a short person.) Altogether I LOVE this car. It suits all of my family needs with 3 small children. It also has all the luxury options and styling so I still feel cool when I (occasionally) get to go out without the children.

First time Mazda driver

by Herkdriver from Atlanta GA | January 6, 2014

Having just purchased a CX-9 from a large national used car chain, all I have for now is purchase and initial driving observations. First-the chain. Great to have one place to shop for many different makes/models. Their commission model (commission on volume not price) is, for me, a real plus. No, you don't get the bottom dollar for your purchase but you don't have to deal with sales persons that don't care about your budget or what you really want. They are there to sell you the car you really want (if they have it). We transferred this car from out of state and the process was EASY. The car--very good fit and finish for a 3 year old car (it has 46K on the odometer). Leather is very comfy, the stereo is very nice, our two tone interior looks REALLY SHARP. The "infotainment" system has a manual all it's own. You'll probably have to read it to figure out half of it's capabilities. The third row seat is rather small but will fit my 5'5" 15 year old for a short trip. Visibilty is good to all sides but does lack in the two rear corners. A BSM (blind spot monitoring) system helps but takes gettting used to. All controls are easy to reach and leave plenty of room to roam. Exterior wise, the overall design is quite nice and stands off from the crowd (ours is "Dolphin Grey") BUT, the front grill looks more like a cheshire cat gran than a "Zoom Zoom" cross over. Thank goodness the grill changed in 2013. Lighting is very bright and high beams are very useful. The back-up camera is a fun toy but don't let it replace your mirrors and turning your head. Performance, Fuel mileage needs to be much better. Don't have real mileage numbers yet but expect around the same as our 13 year old Sienna. Plenty of power and braking is very good. The 20" rims and "performance" tires are a bit loud at highway speeds, goos thing the radio os planty loud. Over all we chose the CX-9 due to it's value factor. Picked up a FULLY loaded model for 5K less than a new stripped leather interior model. Will update after a few months if things change

first time mazda buyer

by Big guy from Ocala Florida | January 15, 2013

First Mzda I've bought. So far seems like a great car for the money. It's has very comfortable seats and I like the interior design. enough room for 4 adults and two chrildren in the 3rd seat. good exceleration for passing.

Best SUV I've Owned

by Corvettejerry from Pennsylvania | July 25, 2012

I've owned for 2 months. The vehicle is almost 2 tears old. I've owned 3 Explorers and none come close to the CX9 in ride, comfort, looks, etc. The only complaint is there were no automatic door locks in 2010.

Love this CX9!

by houdini987 from Newtown, CT | May 3, 2012

This was our first Mazda and we're thrilled with the car. Styling interior and exterior is great - we're constantly telling ourselves how good the car looks when we approach it in a parking lot. Interior design is very cool and roomy. Performance is awesome, there's really nothing I can say bad about the car.

Joy to drive

by pdctravel from Los Angeles | October 25, 2011

We love how smoothly the car drives and how effortlessly the engine gears up to drive quickly. Excellent family car and for carpools and long trips. Nice combination of being sporty but still able to seat 7 with the thrid row (though that back row is for kids) The only drawback is that we get 15-17MPG overall (city and highway combined). Would highly recommend and is reliable and feels very safe. Excellent value, we think drives as well as the Acura MDX and better than the Highlander or Honda Pilot.

Love it, but not the MPG

by SUV owner from Minneapolis, MN | March 2, 2011

Let me start by saying I love our 2010 CX-9 Touring. It looks great. It's interior is nearly perfect and very comfortable. It drives great. Handling, acceleration is better than expected. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the mileage. My wife drives the car to work and back about 50 miles per day. The drive is a pretty even mix or suburban driving and highway. She's been averaging 16-17 mpg since we purchased it in October, 2010. We've never had better than 20 mpg and she's a pretty easy on the gas driver. She was getting 15-16 mpg with our 2005 Suburban Z-71 and we went with the CX-9 in hopes of improving her fuel economy. So far, it hasn't worked out that way.

Great Car for the Price

by Mazda Lover from Atlanta, GA | February 4, 2011

The CX-9 is a great car for the price. It's amazing how roomy the car is inside and that it has 3 rows of seating. It's got most of the upgrades of a much more expensive car and feels a lot sporty than a typical SUV.

Classy looking- great performance -smooth!

by Margma5 from Central Wisconsin cheesehead | December 31, 2010

Love my new Mazda. Mainly used as a body hauler and grocery getter. I did lots of research before purchasing this CX-9. In this class of vehicle it's performance and power is outstanding and very fun and responsive to drive. The only thing lacking is that it is smaller on the interior (space-storage) than other members of it's class. Gas mileage could be better. Bose stereo is on the higher side of good but not excellent as one would expect a Bose to be. Taking calls from the Bluetooth is super but can't be used on the highway , as you will hear complaints about exterior noise from the person on the other end. But I suspect that other cars may have this problem also. Backup cam is a must! Love it! The design of the car is impressive inside and out. Attractive instrument panel that is easy to use very functional. If you are looking for maximum space and better gas mileage there are better choices. If your looking for a pleasurable responsive ride with great looks and design this is your car. The CX has also handled superiorly in the snow and I like the AWD. I don't regret this purchase one bit. It has been a great hauler and our family loves to hop in!

Horrible software

by Womble from Baltimore MD | December 2, 2010

The car itself is beautiful. It drives much like a car and the auto gearbox is virtually seamless. The fit and finish are excellent but it would appear that virtually NO attention has been paid to the navigation and bluetooth phone system. Specifically, they are two separate systems. You can load phone numbers via bluetooth into the navigation system but NOT addresses! You CANNOT load phone numbers via bluetooth into the voicedial phone system. The only way to enter numbers into the voice dial system is by..... voice....and the voice recognition is awful. I had VR on my Chrysler Aspen and it worked very well. Not so here. Even after "training" the VR it basically doesn't work. The navigation system manual is the worst I have ever seen. It simply parrots what you can see inside the car and the images are tiny. There are NO directions on how to use the system, just menu listings! The power liftgate requires that you unlock ALL doors and trunk before it will open. Why 2 presses on the fob can't just open the liftgate is a mystery. The factory-installed remote start has a bizarre "twig-like" antenna glued to the windscreen and requires a separate fob. It works fine except that after entering the vehicle, don't touch anything, especially the brake pedal coz it will shut down the engine. That's right, you must turn the ignition first! I love the way it drives though!