2011 Mazda Mazda2

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great little car

by Mazda Fan! from Des Moines, IA | November 17, 2012

I've had my Mazda 2 for almost two years now. I've always liked Mazdas (I had an '04 Mazda3 before this) because they're fun cars. Yes, the Mazda2 doesn't have a lot of power, but it is very nimble and fun to toss around corners. It does keep up with (or pass) other cars if you're willing to wring everything out of the tiny motor. I'm a big guy (6' 250 lbs), but am very comfortable in this car. I added an after-market Mazda center armrest (not an option on my car) and that increased the comfort. I find that the armrest and window sill are at the perfect height and allow me to sit very comfortably. The interior is very sparse, but functional. You have everything you need w/o a lot of things that can break. I wouldn't recommend this car for holding four (and definitely not five) people on a regular basis, but it is possible. I once had two kids in car seats and an adult in the back along with me and a front seat passenger. I had the steering wheel in my chest, but luckily, it was just for a short while and we made it. If you're looking for a fun little economical car, I'd really recommend the Mazda2 (:

very cute ar

by mazda man from minneapolis mn | February 26, 2012

My wife and I test drove a mazda 2 one Saturday and were more impressed with it then the Honda Fit. I'm an Audio Recording Engineer and engine and road noise are something I really notice. The Fit was very responsive but also very buzzy and not what I expected. The Mazda 2 was a bit quieter and the engine not as noisy. It's hard to find a quiet car in the small size market but the mazda wins out by maybe 30%. Very cute in the Bright dragonfly green color.

Best and safest car I owned...

by Happiest Car Alive from Dayton, OHIO | February 5, 2012

I bought my car on 3 December 2011. It zoom zoomed everywhere I could go. Gas mileage was just was close to 37MPG on my first 4 tanks of gas! My insurance went DOWN by $20/mo for adding this to our policy. After about 6 months of data collecting this car came out as the least expensive commuter car I could find (cost, maintenance, up keep, fuel, gas, insurance). We have another Mazda - for 7 years now - with no issues, so I felt the MAZDA-2 came from a good pedigree. Fun to drive, responsive - awesome practical commuter car. The 4 cylinder made seemed to wine at higher highway speeds - but the radio automatically can adjust the volume to over come. Other cars will beat you off the line - but if you want to drag race - you probably are not gonna get a car with this kind of gas mileage. Sadly on 17 Jan 2012 I totaled my little car. All 6 airbags went off - when the car collided with a Chevy Equinox. The Chevy was totaled as well. To go up against a mid sized SUV and me able to walk away with a scabbed up knee - tells accolades about the safety engineering that must have gone into this car! Got my insurance check and already looking to buy another. Knowing a head on collision, and I can walk away - there is no price for that.

I Love This Little Car

by Mazda Lover from Western NY | December 13, 2011

We bought our Mazda2 in October after owning a 1999 Mazda 626 LX. The Mazda2 is a great little car. I have to admit I do miss some of the "luxury" of the larger Mazda, but for the price, it's a great little car. Gas mileage is excellent; about 30 mpg running around to do errands. I wish it were slightly bigger (not much back seat room), and that it had cruise control, but on a fixed income, we did the best we were able. For us it HAS to be a Mazda!

FUN, FUN, FUN to drive

by Mazda Lover from Richmond, VA | November 26, 2011

I'm a 63 year old male and went from a 1992 Mazda MX3 to a new Mazda2 and like the 2 better. Was going to get the automatic because of my age but decided I was old not dead and I'm glad I do. Love going through the gears and find that 100 hp and gear ratio gets the car up to 60 in a flash and have no problem on the highway. Can't imagine having an automatic. I bought the Sport and the only negative I find is it doesn't have cruise control. Don't understand why Mazda isn't advertising it on TV. For the price I think it beats all the other subcompact cars out there. It's my third Mazda. Had a Mazda MX6 also.

Just got it, but impressed

by beetleboy from Toronto, Canada | November 15, 2011

I chose the 2 after owning a 1998 New Beetle for 13 years and test driving the Fiesta, Veloster and 500. Picked up the car last week and have been using it primarily for highway commuting and running errands. I have been very satisfied with my choice thus far. A short test drive only does so much, so real world use has been a pleasant experience. The car has plenty of acceleration for getting around. I have had no trouble keeping up with either street or highway traffic. The sound dampening very good. The car is poised and stable up to the 75mph I have been cruising at. So far the only issue has been with some vibration experienced while braking. Will be going back to the dealer to have inspected/corrected. I'll update again after more time with the car.

Wow!

by Student from Portland, OR | October 3, 2011

What a great car! I was looking for something with good gas milage, small, practical, but still fun to drive and stylish. The Mazda2 is everything and more! The 2's base features are what other compact cars make you pay for. Aux. jack, power windows/doors, alarm, cd player, and AC. The ride isn't the quietest on the highway but thats really my only complaint. It has far more room than you would expect from looking at the pictures. I recently went camping and was able to fit everything I needed in the trunk and back seat. The back seats fold down which is perfect for fishing poles, skis, and all the big stuff. If you often have back seat passengers this might not be the right car for you. I've found that bigger people are pretty uncomfortable riding in the back for longer trips due to little leg room, but for someone like me who generally drives alone or usually just has one passenger its great. It's a pleasure to drive every day!

Zippy Overachiever

by 2 Owner from Columbus, OH | September 18, 2011

I've had my Mazda2 for a couple of months now and am really pleased with it. First, it's a lot more fun to drive (at least with the manual transmission) than you'd expect given it's modest horsepower rating. Mazda's engineers have done a great job by keeping the car very light, then giving it quick throttle and steering response and a nice firm (but not harsh) suspension to make it feel athletic. The steering wheel is nice and chunky and the high mounted shifter is fun to use. (In some ways, I think the lack of horsepower is a blessing in disguise since it gives you more excuses to use the shifter and wind up the engine, which revs smoothly and makes a happy noise.) The car handles really well, too, and makes windy roads entertaining. In terms of interior features, the car's pretty basic, but everything is well laid out and put together nicely. The seats are supportive, visibility is excellent, and the car is quiet and settled for comfortable freeway cruising, too. A few more electronic gadgets would be welcome, but it's also good to remember that a Mazda2 usually prices out for at least a grand less than the similarly sized Fiesta and Honda Fit. The Touring model does, however, come with a handy and easy-to-use trip computer that gives realtime feedback on fuel consumption. On longer trips where I've paid attention to the trip computer and resisted the urge to drive sporty, I've averaged 43 MPG (and am getting 37.1 MPG overall in mixed driving and varying degrees of self discipline.) I bought this car primarily because I was looking for an economical commuter, but honestly I'm having as much fine driving it as I do driving my girlfriend's Wolfsburg Jetta that has double the horsepower. What the Mazda2 lacks on paper it more than makes up for in personality and value.

Love my CAR

by Ginger from Sneedville, Tennessee | September 9, 2011

This is the BEST car I ve ever owned, its fun to drive, great gas mileage, comfortable on a long trip, and did I mention fun to drive? I love the body style, and my car is GREEN, I get so many complaments on my car, I LOVE it and will be a MAZDA owner forever. I ve been a jeep girl for many years, but this is my new calling!!!!!

Great Car! Roomy for such a small car!

by Zoom-zoom from Southern NH | September 7, 2011

I bought this car to try to "beat the pump," downsizing from a fairly large SUV. I really thought I would miss the space and feel cramped (I'm 6'1" tall!) but was pleased to find the interior roomy and much more comfortable than I would have guessed. Even with my long arms, I cannot reach the passenger door without leaning far to the right, indicating that this car may be low, and short, but it is pretty wide. Enough rear legroom behind me, and with a roof-rack, enough cargo area for long trips. Good pep overall, and quite a fun drive!