2008 Mazda Mazda3

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Mazda 3 Hatchback

by Just Some Guy from Hartford County Connecticut | June 14, 2014

I'm not going to write some huge long detailed review. The bottom line is I bought a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchback and I couldn't be happier with it. It looks good, it drives good and it has a lot of space on the inside. My opinion it is the best hatchback in its price range. Would definitely recommend to anyone. Zoom zoom as they say in the commercials

No regrets yet

by rabbitw from San Francisco, CA | December 7, 2013

I bought my 2008 Mazda3 hatchback new about five years ago and for the most part, am totally glad I picked this car. I have the stick shift version, so driving is pretty fun and handling is great, especially after replacing the stock tires. You can do corners fast and feel completely in control, even in wet weather (to some extent - don't go crazy). The only thing I've had to fix so far is the thermostat (just a month ago) and a rear shock absorber. The shocks' problem was probably due to my getting lost in the mountains and ending up on a dirt road. I had to replace my front tires after hitting some massive potholes, so I can't really blame Mazda for the latter issues. The A/C is super cold - I very rarely have it on full, but I live in northern CA so it doesn't get that hot here. But overall, it has been very reliable and fun to drive!

Love it!

by Zoom from | September 30, 2012

I needed a reliable car quickly. But it had to have all the amenities I was used to in my MiniVan. I stumbled across a low mileage Mazda3 Grand Touring. Love it! While I lost the space of my van, the hatchback and fold down seats still give me cargo options and the car is fun to drive.

Most expensive car I have owned

by txmjc54 from Austin, TX | August 12, 2012

Bought from a high interest car dealer as a used car. Bad mistake. I could have bought a new one for the price I paid.

Extremely glad I chose the Mazda3 for my 1st car!!

by L from Chicago, IL | July 31, 2012

I purchased a used 2008 Mazda3 with 42,500 miles on it 2 months ago and I absolutely love it! Before the Mazda, I used to drive my parents Lincoln Town Car and a mini van so I really love how small this car is. The exterior of the Mazda is very stylish. The inside is very roomy and the seats are comfortable, especially the back seats. The only problem I have is that it has a small gas tank, so around 315 miles I have to fill up. My model does not have a trip computer so I estimated that my MPG is over 30! I love my Mazda3 very much and I'm going to keep this car for as long as possible!

Bought used Mazda

by Miss Savannah from ga | June 5, 2012

I bought my Mazda with 46,000 miles. I will say that the gas isnt all that good . Every 320 miles I full up with gas. Other than that I am fine with it. I wouldnt pay no more that 10,000 for a used one. Beware tire are expensie two back tires are costing me 293 with mount and etc.

Great little ride

by Bee Gee from Hinsdale,Il | November 6, 2011

I bought this car for my 17 year old son in the hatchback version. It is a really nice looking car that is very functional with those hatchback features. behind the wheel it is extremely responsive with tight turning radius and surprisingly zippy performance. It is extremely fun to drive. Would highly recommend it as a budget buy or as I did as a safe reliable and fun car for a Child.

So good yet so bad

by disapointed from Orlando, FL | October 21, 2011

The Mazda 3S 5-door is a frustrating car. Mazda got the handling and steering right and obviously put in some overtime on the interior, but somewhere along the way the drive train guys went AWOL. The 3 is a car that begs to be driven hard, rewarding the driver with accurate steering, linear brakes, a supple yet controlled suspension, and decent seats that hold you in place during exuberant cornering. It would be great fun except for a crude, underpowered wheezer of an engine and driveline noise and vibration levels that would make a John Deere tractor buyer cringe. Besides a frustrating lack of power at all rpms, the drive train’s gyrations are transmitted through the clutch, setting up a high frequency vibration that causes your left foot to tingle long after the car is parked. There are also a couple of reliability glitches. Motor mounts and brake rotors have been a problem and a defective clutch pressure plate that made smooth starts nearly impossible for the first 30K miles was finally replaced under warranty. Surprisingly, the one area where the car excels is long distance cruising. Road noise is present but not excessive, wind noise doesn't seem to increase with speed and the car feels planted and tracks well at any speed you choose to dial up. In spite of its abysmal lack of power in the lower gears, the engine actually feels fairly strong at highway speeds and will accelerate in 5th gear into triple digits as well as some smaller V6s I have driven – very strange. This car is a good chassis and interior looking for a decent drive train. With the power and vibration issues addressed you couldn’t pry it from my hands. As it stands, however, the car is up for sale at a bargain price.

"Monkey the Mazda"

by Charlie from Louisville, Ky | October 9, 2011

My daughter is 16 years old and she absolutely loved this car. It was the "cutest car on the road." It was quiet and road great. Most importantly, it saved her life. She slid on ice in it and hit a wall at 50 miles an hour, the wall was unforgiving, the car totaled, but she walked away. I was more than happy to hand her the keys to another mazda 3 the next week, knowing that my daughter was safe behind the wheel of a safe car.

One of the BEST small cars - EVER!

by LMC - Car Nut from Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage, CA | September 18, 2011

I've had My 2008 Mazda 3 S hatchback since May of 2008. Bought new and I've loved it ever since. I was needing a small car with good mileage for a commuter - I was driving over 60 miles EACH WAY - and My wants & requirements were long and the list of available players was short - the Mazda 3, the Caliber, the Matrix/Vibe, and the Subaru Impreza. The Dodge dropped off because to get the mileage I wanted (around 30 MPG highway), I had to go over My price point (low 20K range). Same for the Impreza, as only the WRX was available at that time. The Matrix/Vibe slipped off because of the unusual interior layout. My biggest issue with the M3 at the time was the "all black, all the time" interior choices for the S model. Luckily, halfway through the model year, the M3 was available with a new "Sand" interior. As of now, I've put nearly 40K miles on the car - mostly trouble free. I'd experienced electrical issues (seemingly related to the all electric power steering) that didn't go away with the recall in 2010. Hopefully now, with a new electrical wiring harness, all will be remedied. The M3 is a BLAST to drive. Powerful, sporty and super fun. My drive used to include windy mountain passes and the M3 just tore through the hills with never an issue. Rain or sun, the M3 never missed a curve. The only issue came when it was windy, as strong winds can knock the light-weight M3 around. The 5 speed automatic trans has a "manual" mode, allowing you to control (to a point) the transmission shifting. For sporty driving and quick getaways, it's great and keeps you moving. The outside is sporty and solid looking - I've even had people ask if it's a much more expensive car (like a Lexus) and they're shocked at the 20K price point! It looks and feels so much more expensive than it is... The interior is sporty and refined, with supportive AND comfortable bucket seats. The steering wheel tilts & telescopes, making it easy to get comfy behind the wheel. The stereo is top notch and the ambient lighting on the dash is cool and fun. The AC blows cold - although sometimes not cold enough. I live in the deserts of Southern California and when the mercury goes over 110, the AC has a hard time keeping up at first. Safety features are top notch - with front, side and roof airbags, 4 wheel disc anti-lock brakes and tire monitoring systems. Would I buy a M3 again? You betcha! A great car and a great value - new or used...! Probably one of the best cars I've ever owned or driven!