2006 Mazda Mazda5

22 city / 27 hwy

Overall

Rust! Rust

by Fan from Montreal, QC | September 28, 2014

It is a good car overall. It is a very practical family mini-van. The only thing I hate about this car is the rust. My rear-left wheel well is almost gone. There are a lot of rust at the bottom. The resale value is not good as other Japanese makes.

5 stars for the Mazda5

by Just a car guy from Manchester, CT | August 1, 2013

I bought my 2006 Mazda5 Sport with 5MT brand new. That was over 153,000 miles ago. I have had virtually no issues with this car whatsoever. I am reviewing now because a couple months ago I replaced the spark plugs but one was faulty and the tip blew off. The metal passed through my engine and it kept on ticking. The mechanic was impressed and so am I. In addition to the reliability, my daughters love the reclining second row seats and I love no door dings thanks to the sliding rear doors. The 5 handles well for a "minivan" and with good maintenance and driving habits I can hit over 29mpg with a highway cycle. I highly recommend this car for anyone looking for versatile, fun, and reliable transportation.

Perfect car for people who don't want a minivan

by Family Man from Manteca, CA | April 16, 2012

The Mazda5 is an almost perfect compromise for people who want something a little bit more roomy and functional than a wagon, but don't want something wallowy and overly-heavy like a minivan. It offers three rows of seating, for a total of 6 passengers, and all of the back seats fold flat to make a very large, very usable cargo area. The 50/50 split of the third row is something I use all the time when we pick up Grandma from the airport and need to put her bags in the back, but still have room for her and the kids. I have a total of 2 gripes about this car, one of which is specific to the 2006 model year, and the other of which applies to the entire first generation. The 2006 model comes with an in-dash 6-CD changer, but no AUX input for my iPhone. Later model years include this standard, so that makes this a pretty annoying (though small) omission from the 2006. The entire first generation (2006-2011) has a pretty mushy automatic transmission. It often seems like it is searching for the right gear, and usually settles on the one that is just too high. It's a 4-speed auto, and I find myself wanting to switch it into manual-selection mode just to force it into 3rd or 2nd gear a LOT sooner than it will do it on its own. Luckily, though, you can also find these with manual transmissions. They are rare, but would probably make my only real gripe about the performance of this car null and void.

Great Crossover

by Japanese car enthusiast from Dallas, TX | October 29, 2011

I've owned vans before, and I've owned sedans before, but this is the best of both worlds. Mazda created a true crossover vehicle with the Mazda 5. It drives like a sports sedan, but is able to transport 6-7 people, or carry a van full of cargo. Granted it doesn't have the capacity of a full-size van, but it doesn't drive like a boat either. It's a fun vehicle to drive, and it gets 25-28 MPG. Test drive one, and you'll see.

Good Car

by #%$#% from Rochester, NY | October 24, 2011

This car has performance tires and sits pretty low so it's a pleasure to drive, but bumpy. Seats aren't all that comfortable either, but there are six bucket seats so everyone gets their own seat. Back seats fold down for nice roomy trunk. Mileage is 28.3mpg consistently. No major problems so far; We bought it used 4 months ago. Annoying: no armrest for front passenger. Can't turn off A/C on auto set.

Great Car, not great for a large family

by mom of three from Pennsylvania | August 3, 2011

We bought the Mazda5 before we had our third child. We were looking for something with a third row of seats, but not quite as big as a minivan, and we loved the sporty look of the Mazda5. We love this car. It is small enough that you still feel like you're driving a car, but large enough to fit two adults and three small children. The only problem is that when we want to take vacations, it is not large enough to hold all of our suitcases, baby items, etc. In this case, we wish we would've gotten a car with more cargo room. We can only fit our large stroller in the back, with one of the third row seats folded down. If we didn't need the third row seating, this car would be perfect for us. I think this would be better for a family who only needed the third row as occasional seating.

City Minivan Alternative

by The Family Guy from Washington, DC | July 22, 2010

An extremely flexible layout, that works for our 4 children between 11.5 and 3.5 years old. Easy in, and easy out. Very good handling, and decent enough acceleration to make it both safe and fun, especially in the city. Needs the roof container for long trips. Only average fuel economy in the city (read 20.0 mpg), but we get 31 on the highway. I'd buy it again.

May be the best car made for a college kid.

by College Dad from Upstate NY | June 29, 2010

Bought mine used after the family hit the time between the need for a van and getting away with a sedan. This was the great in between. One son took it to college. It seats six for when he takes his friends on road trips. The side air bags ease my mind. Good gas mileage. Best part is, with mid and rear seats down he can load his entire dorm room in the car...fridge, desktop computers, instruments and all. Only complaint...need the best snows you can get in winter. But, then you will have all the traction you need.

so-so car

by family guy from Hartford, CT | November 16, 2009

I got this car used a couple years ago, cuz I was looking for something that could carry kids and stuff flexibly in a manual trans. It feels more like a mini-van than a car when driving and has been only somewhat reliable. Brakes and suspension are not durable. Engine sometimes hesitates or feels uneven. Some of the plastic bits inside the car around the bottom of the seats, etc, have broken easily with children's abuse. But it is smooth on the highway and fairly comfortable for a tall guy. Still I wouldn't recommend it highly. It has been a disappointment, overall.

Looks small but not and it has it all!

by Car Nook from Santa Fe,NM | March 18, 2009

This may look small but it is HUGE! and I got it for a HUGE discount!I would give it a HUGE recommendation! By and don't keep thinking about HUGE!

Featured Services for this Mazda Mazda5