2005 Mazda Mazda6

Kelley Blue Book Retail

Est. MPG

See Photos & Videos

Overall

My fifth Mazda and more to follow

by Mazda Lifer from Calgary, AB | January 25, 2014

Up until buying my M-6, I had owned a two GLC's, a 323 and a 3 before. Only reasons for changing cars were..accident, girlfriend wanted an automatic and wanted new 3 (2004). My latest Mazda (6) was due wanting something bigger. I will admit I was a little leery of buying a Mazda that wasn't built in Japan (are built in Flat Rock, Michigan). However, Those concerns were put to rest back then, and after only $2.300 invested in my 6 since buying it in '05, I am thrilled with it. It has just over 50.000miles/ 87.000kms on it now, and she still hums like in the early days. The rear seats are a tad cramped, but still quite comfortable. The display guages are perfect, and still quite modern and I still love the controls on the steering wheel. Would I buy another one? Absolutely. I think Mazda is one of the most underrated companies. Their product is solid and extremely well built...no shortcuts here.

Great Driving Experience

by Mariachifunky from Guatemala | March 25, 2013

A great engine and powerful driving, it is by far the greatest car I ever driven. Confortable and super light leather seats, the gas comsumption is kinda relative but the money is worth it.

good daily driver terrible tuner

by Turbos For Life from Austin Texas | November 19, 2011

Im 18 years old i got a mazda6 2005 for my first car ( over a 240SX) its a great car for someone who dosent wanna go fast. the 4cyl lacks any power and the parts needed to make it fast from mazda are 455$ atleast ( cold air intake from mazdaspeed) they simply dont make lowering springs for this car nor coilovers or camber kits.. the suspention is pretty much permanent. you cant run any bigger wheel than a 16 inch thats thin because theres no room in the wheel well without rolling the fenders. to upgrade the raido you need to move the hazard light button and buy a 100$ faceplate just to be able to fit an aftermarket deck in iti find it incredable that no one has tried to mod 1 befoe but now i understand good daily driver very reliable but terrible daily driver

5 years strong

by tunner for life from | July 5, 2010

I bought my Mazda 6s brand new in 2005 with only 7 miles, it now has over 70,000. I love this car I've only had minor issues with the car like light bulbs going out and one suspension problem that was taken car of for less than $100. Over all I would but this car again, and I hope to keep mine for at least another 5 years.

first car

by monkey from | October 6, 2009

Nice car, with all the right features for an average needs. Nice performance when needed, i have the 4-cylinder and it still performs nicely. Nice handling to go along with that power. All around a good car at a reasonable price.

Great car

by Mazda fan from Buffalo, NY | June 10, 2009

My wife bought a 2005 Mazda 6i sedan in 2007 with 25,000 miles on it, and we just now traded it in with almost 57,000 miles. This was such a great car that we traded it in for another mazda 6, a low-mileage 2007 model instead of a new one because neither of us liked the new style Mazda 6 that came out in 2009. In 2-1/2 years and over 30,000 miles there were absolutely no issues with this car. The appearance and handling were also top notch for a so-called family sedan. The pickup in the 4-cylinder models is a little lacking, but not too bad. In fact, the 2007 4-cylinder model upgraded from a 4-speed automatic to a 5-speed automatic, and that is a bit peppier and adequate for a daily driver, and for my wife's needs. It also handles great in the snow, and the traction control works very well but is not overwhelming. The standard Mazda 6i is a great car for anyone who wants a little more than a mundane daily driver, but doesn't need blazing speed...great for my wife, but me? I own a 2007 Mazdaspeed 6. I would highly recommmend the Mazdaspeed version to any sports car enthusiast who either needs a car with a back seat, or lives somewhere with alot of snow (the speed 6 is all-wheel drive). Every version of the Mazda 6 I have driven is great, and this includes my parents station wagon, I would recommend any of them to anybody.

So far so good

by Geezer from Denver, CO | January 17, 2009

I bought a 2005 iSport 5 door program car with 9000 miles on it in 2006. It now has just over 40K miles. It has several long trips under its wheels including Florida, Northern Michigan, and San Fran bay area. All trips originating from Colorado. I average 24 to 26 mpg in the city and have gotten as high as 34mpg on the highway. Most trip mileage is in the 28 to 30 mpg range but depends a lot on speed, wind direction and temperature. I love the rear hatch. The car swallows amazing amounts of luggage or cargo. Fold the rear seats and you can put three pre-hug interior doors in the rear (tying down the hatch). Its a big car and seats four comfortably for long trips and five around town with minimal problems. The four cylinder has plenty of pep and has been very reliable (although it has made some strange noises at times). The car has never been in for any unscheduled servicing. If you're a "do it yourselfer" the oil can be a pain to change. The motor uses cartridge filters (many newer cars are using these now for what ever reason) which are messy and require several extra steps to remove. You also have to remove the lower plastic engine shroud (six bolts or so) to get to the filter. The four speed auto does search for gears a fair amount and down shifts in slow traffic are rather abrupt. The newer Mazda6's with the five speed autos are considerably better in eliminating this. The motor however has plenty of power especially for mountain driving (true test of any motor in my opinion). I slide to shift lever over into manual mode when in the mountains and have no trouble maintaining speed limits and eliminating the auto up shifts and down shifts which can get annoying). All in all its been a surprisingly good car. I'm not overly fond of the new design for the 6 and sorry to see they dropped both the sport (5 door liftback) and the wagon (I really like the wagon and would have gotten it if it came with the four cylinder motor).

Great Car

by Greggpvc from Dallas | November 19, 2008

Bought a 6 wagon used with 39000 miles. The v6 is fast and the 6 speed auto works well in auto mode as well as manual but do have to ease into it sometimes to be smooth off the line. Have the standard radio and it is fine although the upgrade could be better. Wife drives it most of the time. I have a 79 chevy pickup hot rod. price was great (for the Mazda, have to ask wife about the truck). Economy fine for a v6. I'm over 6' and there is plenty of room and haven't had problems.

Drives smooth like a lexus but half the price

by Love my Mazda 6 from Phoenix, AZ | September 9, 2008

I bought my Mazda 6 in 2005 brand new & I love it! I bought one that was fully loaded and have no complaints. It drives smooth like a lexus but is half the price. It looks great and is still very sporty. It is very quiet and comfortable. Plenty of room in the front & rear cabins, as well as trunk space. It has great pick-up too! I have the Bose stereo system and it is amazing. I also have the grey leather interior -love it -and it even has the heated seats which I love in the winter (yes I am in AZ- it gets cold here in the winter!). I love the stereo controls on the steering wheel. My only complaint would be that the black leather wrapped sterring wheel is fading- although maybe it's due to the AZ sun. You will not be disappointed with this car!

Nice Ride

by Speed seeker from San Antonio | April 20, 2008

I bought my 6 two years ago before a road trip from MD to TX. This is a great car. I can't think of many problems or issues. It handles like a sports car, has great suspension, appeal and fuel economic. One of my only issues is the horsepower. I wish this car had more kick to it. It's extremely slow off the line and has a hard time switching gears. Although, I'm about to upgrade to the Nissan 350Z, overall I'm satisfied with the 6.

Featured Services for this Mazda Mazda6