Mazda's midsize front-wheel-drive sedan benefits from a sportier nature than some of its competitors. For 2009, the Mazda6 has been redesigned, now sporting a more sophisticated exterior and interior design. It is also larger now, making it more comparable to its competition. Inline-four-cylinder (in "i" models) and V-6 ("s" models) engines are available in the Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trim levels. There's also a bare-bones SV trim level that gets only the four-cylinder. Competitors include midsize sport sedans like the Honda Accord and Chevrolet Malibu.
New for 2009
The Mazda6 has been completely redesigned for 2009 and is now available with two powertrain offerings, new transmissions and new technology features. The Mazda6 hatchback and wagon versions have been dropped.
Designers ditched last year's design and infused what Mazda calls a "Japanese aesthetic" into the new car. The vehicle now sports a long hood with pronounced front fender flares that flow through the headlamps and mold with the front bumper.
The last Mazda6 was small for its class. To rectify this, Mazda now sells a model in America (like Honda does with the Accord) that's different than the rest of the world's Mazda6 — the American one being much larger. Exterior dimensions have grown to 193.7 inches long and 72.4 inches wide, making this car about 7 inches longer and 2 inches wider than the outgoing model. The Mazda6 is now slightly longer and wider than the Malibu, but is still smaller than the Accord.
- Standard body-colored grille, front and rear bumpers, door handles and moldings
- 16-inch steel wheels with full covers (standard on SV-i and Sport-i)
- 17-inch alloy wheels (standard on Sport-s, Touring-i and Grand Touring-i)
- 18-inch alloy wheels (standard on Touring-s and Grand Touring-s)
- LED taillamps (standard on Grand Touring models)
- Single (four-cylinder models) or dual exhaust outlets (V-6 models)
The new rounded instruments and a three-spoke steering wheel integrate nicely into the T-shaped instrument panel. The radio and center controls are tilted up to enhance functionality for the driver. Blacked-out instrument faces have metallic markings, needles and trim.
All trim levels get 60/40-split folding rear seats with remote capability. The cabin has 101.9 cubic feet of passenger space and 16.6 cubic feet of cargo space in the trunk. Trunk space is slightly larger than that of the Malibu and Accord.
- Standard tilt/telescoping steering wheel with audio controls
- Standard air conditioning with pollen filter, optional dual-zone automatic air conditioning
- Standard power locks, windows and mirrors (heated mirrors are optional)
- Available cloth, blended leather/cloth, or full leather interiors
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob (Touring and Grand Touring)
- Optional power moonroof with interior sunshade (Touring and Grand Touring)
- Optional 333-watt, 10-speaker Bose audio system (Touring and Grand Touring)
- Optional DVD navigation system with 7-inch display, touch-screen and voice-activated controls (Grand Touring)
Under the Hood
The Mazda6 features a front and rear independent suspension. Four-cylinder and V-6 options are standard in this segment, but the standard six-speed manual transmission (with the four-cylinder) plays up Mazda's performance roots. There are also two automatic transmission offerings: the four-cylinder engine can have an optional five-speed automatic transmission, while the V-6 comes with a standard six-speed automatic (it can't be had with a manual).
- 170-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder with 167 pounds-feet of torque
- 272-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 with 269 pounds-feet of torque
- Six-speed manual transmission (standard on "i" models)
- Five- and six-speed automatic transmissions
- Push-button start (standard on Touring and Grand Touring)
- Keyless entry and start system (standard on Touring and Grand Touring)
The Mazda6 now offers a blind-spot monitoring system and Bluetooth wireless connection to cell phones and media players.
- Standard side-impact airbags (front seats only)
- Standard side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system with electronic brake force distribution
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control
- Standard smart key that immobilizes the engine in a theft attempt
- Blind-spot monitoring (optional on Touring, standard on Grand Touring)
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Mazda Mazda6.
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range
Asking Price Range