2014 Mazda Mazda6

2014 Mazda Mazda6
Available in 3 styles:  2014 Mazda Mazda6 4dr Sedan shown
Starting MSRP

Overall

Just Bought Car 12/26/2013 (Part II)

by Edwin from Raleigh, NC | September 10, 2014

Well it's been 16K miles since my first review and I'm standing by it. I knew this car had a 4 cylinder engine. I knew my total commute to be 80 miles round trip (It's great to gas up once every 6 days). And I knew that this car would not respond like my 2008 Infiniti G35. But all n' all, if i had to do it all over again, I would. The only draw back I see is planning to buying those 19 inch tires. Love the look of them, but not the price. A little hint: Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum > 60K warranty

Best Overall value, Incentives and Ride

by Montky from Gainesville, GA | July 17, 2014

When the 2014 Mazda 6 came out on showrooms in mid 2013 purchased fast and quick, have enjoyed so many things brand new on this car. The great ride gives me seems better than BMW or any vehicle I have ever driven everything works well the best includes navigation system, features outstanding has heated outside mirrors, seats, ''ETC.'' Gives performance in some good handling when commuting on the roads, gas mileage is good too exterior and style looks real sharp. I have the Grand Touring 3i available blind spot warning, rearview camera, moving object detection, great stereo system, iPod connection, infotainment center, keyless and more. All I know is that this is one of the best midsize cars ever driven being better with a expensive car got plenty of power engine is outstanding in ''ZOOM'' ''ZOOM'' manual transmission smooth in ratios the Mazda6 ride and more performance.

2014 Mazda 6 Transmission problems

by BigMac from Moorestown NJ | May 8, 2014

I love this car except for one thing...while idling at a traffic light or intersection when I take my foot off the brake and prepare to move forward the car suddenly lurches forward with a loud BANG. It's so hard it feels like I've been rear-ended. I've had the car for 1 year and it's happen 5 times, twice in the last two days and it's scary. I called Mazda and filed a report, and called the dealer to see if anyone has had the same problems (no).

GREAT CAR

by ROYCE from Montgomery, Texas | April 13, 2014

More safety features than most Lexus or Mercedes. 30 plus miles per gallon. So many standard features makes Toyota and others needing help. I have owned them all, and this one stands alone for the money!

Style, Fuel Economy, and Handling

by Casual Driving Enthusiast from Washington, DC | March 31, 2014

*I have owned this car since August 2013, and, after 12,000mi, I am averaging 29.4mpg in mixed (but aggressive) driving. I have not had a single problem with anything since I bought it.* This is arguably the best-looking car on the road right now, at least with the red paint job. The car feels extremely planted on the highway, and the g-force generated by turning is strangely addictive (it's very smooth). Power steering is light for day-to-day driving, but tightens up a bit when you push it. You feel every bump on the road, but I like that, as it makes you feel connected to the road, and there is never any chassis wiggle after hitting bumps. There is wind noise above 50mph or so, and I have noticed the back windshield creak for the first 10-15 minutes of driving on very cold days. Regular headlights are adequate but could be stronger, however brights are fantastic. Daytime-running lights are a nice touch. Base sound system is great with no rattling or fuzz noises at high volume. Dual exhaust looks and sounds great (for an I-4). There is loud patter of rain on roof, and you hear every pebble hit the car (this is probably due to thin sheet metal used to save weight for Skyactiv). Bluetooth and Pandora capability works well, but can be slow to connect (30-40 seconds). Minimalist cabin--looks very elegant, with nothing superfluous. Integrated side view mirror turn signals feel upmarket. Soul red paint is a must-buy in my opinion, as the car's curves are best accentuated by it. Push-button start is easy and standard. Gauges are easy to read and sporty. Interior materials feel great (almost rubbery feel for dash/door) and mirror the curves of the exterior. Large glove box, but it cannot be locked. Plenty of storage compartments in front (around 10, depending on how you count them). Arm rest is movable (+/- 3 inches). Windshield wipers are strong and streak-free, with plenty of interval options. USB and Aux inputs are helpful, but hard to reach on the go as they are inside center console and under flaps. There is stitching, even on base model (on e-brake, armrest, door trim, and steering wheel). Downsides Mazda definitely needs to reduce wind noise, add auto-down and up for all windows (not just driver's), install a bigger nav screen, remove the "nav" button on base model that doesn't have nav as standard, move entire armrest console up about 2-3 inches, make USB and aux jacks easier to access, provide better off-the-mark acceleration, and add a V6 option. Bottom Line Of all the contenders in the midsize segment, this car is #1 in fuel economy, styling, and handling. These are good enough reasons to buy, but remember what is is not #1 in: ride quality (firm), trunk space (1 cu. ft. below largest), and performance (no V6 option). What do you value? To me this is still a no-brainer buy, and, even though you can't go wrong with any of the mid-size sedans, the Mazda will stand out--EVERYone has a Camry or Accord!

Do not recommend

by urbinsissy from Los Angeles, CA | March 19, 2014

I drove a 2012 Mazda3 and LOVED it. Quick, great gas mileage, a joy to drive. Unfortunately I was in a head-on accident and the repaired car was never the same. So, I decided to get a 2014 6. What a mistake.This car has weird transmission problems where it lurches as it revs down, rolls backwards on a hill stop and doesn't shift smoothly. I complained to the selling dealer at about 200 hundred miles (no resolution), complained again at 1000 miles to the service dealer (no resolution) and will complain again at my next service. This, combined with the terrible nav/audio has made this a giant do not buy in my book. I'm looking to dump asap.

Great Bang for the Buck

by garygolf from Denver, CO | March 13, 2014

I replaced an 05 Mazda6 5 door (hatchback) with a Soul Red i sport w/ auto trans. I went with the i sport as I prefer cloth seating to leatherette or leather and don't like the electronic features found in the touring or grand touring models. The i sport is certainly not a "stripped" model. The 05 is one of the best cars I have ever owned. It has never been in the shop other than for common maintenance. I will miss the hatchback feature. That car could swallow all kinds of things. While The trunk on the new 6 is a good size it's nothing like the old hatchback's capabilities and flexibility. I recently returned from a road trip from Denver to San Francisco bay area and return. What better way to learn about a new car than putting some real time behind the wheel. First I can say the new car handles great. Where my old 6 tended to understeer (felt heavy and pushed a little) the new one is more neutral. The ride is firm but certainly not harsh. Seating is comfortable and I didn't find myself constantly repositioning my posterior after long hours behind the wheel. All in all it proved to be a good car for a long road trip. The additional 20 or so horsepower in the new 6 is impressive and I found the new 6 speed auto transmission to be well matched to the new motor. The car pulled significant mountain grades in the Sierras and Rockies with ease and with minimal gear searching. Up shifts are hardly felt especially in the higher gears. A nice feature is the automatic downshift to maintain speed on long "downhill" grades when using cruise control. I should note that this only seems to work at speeds over 70 mph or so. Gas mileage was pretty good as well. On one tank we drove from Elko, NV to Monterey, CA (well over 600 miles) and averaged 39.5 mpg per the trip computer. The trip computer proved to be quite accurate as we hand calculated each tank and both were within a few tenths of a gallon of each other every time. While that tank included a lot of 75 mph speeds, long downhills, and HWY 101 congestion (55 to 60mph speeds), other higway tanks averaged 34 to 36 mpg which I believe is what one will get for the highway (at interstate speeds) for gas mileage. 38 mpg is probably obtainable at 60 to 65 mph on normal (flatter) roads and without headwinds. This is a significant improvement over the old 6 which averaged 28 to 31 mpg on the highway. The new 6's city gas mileage is also much better than the old one with 27 to 30 mpg being realistic compared to the old cars 23 to 24 mpg. In summary, this is a lot of car that is very economical, especially for it's size, and has a relatively low entry price.

Not as Good as what you hear

by BuzzKill from Burlington Washington | March 12, 2014

Every article and every review seems to be singing the praises of the new Mazda 6. I have a different opinion. The transmission is terrible. I have owned many cars from performance cars to minivans, and the 2014 Mazda 6 is the worst shifting car I've ever driven. Oh, its fine from a standing start. But in real world driving, it is borderline unsafe. Everytime you make a sudden speed change, for example from 55mph to 65mph to hit a hole in traffic, or decelerating around a corner and then accelerating again (that never happens, right?) or simply slowing down for someone in front of you and then hitting the gas again...in other words, real world driving, there is a full 1 second delay as you wait for the transmission to downshift, and then a sudden lurch forward as the undersized engine tries to make up for the time it just lost. Driving this car is like riding with someone driving a stick shift for the first time. Beautiful car, beautiful styling, comfortable seats, great handling...unacceptably bad transmission. I will be selling this car due to this issue.

Awesome Ride

by First time Mazda owner from Northwest Indiana | March 9, 2014

I purchased my Mazda 6 Touring shortly after it hit the market in 2013. Now, almost a year later, I can say I'm as happy with my choice now as I was the day I drove it off the lot. The car has killer looks, nimble and confident handling, a well organized and attractive interior and excellent fuel economy. I do about 70/30 highway to city driving and I am averaging 34.2 mpg. The only minor negatives I have are seats that could be a bit more comfortable over long distances and a desire for a drive train with a little more pick up at low speeds. In total though this car is a home run. Great styling in a sedan that combines sport with function, the Mazda 6 has personality plus compared to the soulless competitors in its class.

Nice Car - needs better performance

by Tony S from Maine | March 2, 2014

My wife and I bought this car after owning the initial Mazda 6 back in 2003. That car was a great performer with a V6 that we had no trouble with except the usual tires, brakes, etc. The only downside to that car was rust in the rear quarters and not the greatest mileage compared to like-models from other car companies. When we saw the styling of this car, we waited to order one. With a claimed 38 mpg and exterior looks like a Jaguar and Infinity at a fraction of the cost, we bit even though I would have preferred another V6 or turbo. Well, although the car is fantastic in many ways, it is down on power and has a frustrating lag at onset as well as in between gears. And, if you push the pedal more, it quickly ramps up the rpm and throws you back in your seat. Very quirky and annoying. As for MPG, we use it primarily on the highway going to work and average just 28-29 and we have never seen 38MPG even on long trips. We thought we would save a lot of money on gas, but the difference has been minimal. The good is that the interior is comfortable and has an upper class feel to it. And, the looks, well it is a wonderfully sculpted appearance. You at least look good in one.