The Mazdaspeed3 is Mazda's pocket rocket. The Mazdaspeed3 features a high-output turbocharged inline-four, a stiffened suspension setup, and unique exterior and interior styling cues. The Mazdaspeed3 is only available as a five-door hatchback. Its trim levels include Sport and Grand Touring models, and its competitors include the Volkswagen GTI, Honda Civic Si and Chevrolet Cobalt SS.
New for 2009
There are no significant changes on the Mazdaspeed3.
The Mazdaspeed3 has widened front fenders, a large supplemental grille in the front bumper, rectangular fog lamps and ground effects.
The liftgate incorporates a high-mounted spoiler with an integrated brake light. A single, 3.75-inch exhaust pipe exits beneath the bumper. The Mazdaspeed3 is 176.8 inches long and 69.1 inches wide. Because it's a hatch, the car is a tad shorter than its sedan-based competition.
- Standard 18-inch alloy rims with high-performance summer tires
- Standard sport-tuned exhaust
- Standard fog lights and power mirrors
- Automatic xenon headlights and LED taillamps (Grand Touring)
The Mazdaspeed3 can seat up to five people in two rows. The front bucket seats have more side bolstering than those in the regular Mazda3. The steering wheel and shifter boot have red stitching, and aluminum pedals are standard.
The hatch is accommodating with 95 cubic feet of passenger space and 43.4 cubic feet of cargo space with the rear bench folded down.
- Standard automatic climate control
- Standard keyless entry
- Standard power windows and locks
- Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter knob
- Standard cruise control
- Optional Bose audio system (standard on Grand Touring)
- Optional navigation unit (only on Grand Touring)
Under the Hood
The Mazdaspeed3 can accelerate from zero to 62 mph in 6.1 seconds, and it can reach an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph, according to Mazda.
To control torque steer, which is often associated with high-powered front-wheel-drive cars, Mazda says controls have been added to limit uneven torque delivery, thereby improving drivability. A limited-slip differential is also present. The Mazdaspeed3's front strut and rear multilink suspension features higher-rate springs and larger stabilizer bars for reduced body roll.
- 263-horsepower, turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four with 280 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard six-speed manual transmission
- Standard limited-slip differential
Standard safety features include:
- Side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Pedals break away in an impact to prevent leg injuries
- Electronic stability and traction control
- Antilock braking system with brake assist