1990 Mazda Miata MX-5

Information Coming Soon

Overall

I couldn't stop smiling

by Avid Track Driver from | July 18, 2012

So I'll start out by saying this, I originally drove this car just to say how bad it was, and I couldn't have been any further from the truth! I own a few luxury sedans and have had the pleasure of driving many high end cars such as top tier Audi’s and Porche's, all of which I have loved. I recently started looking for a fun, yet not to expensive convertible, so I began looking at used BMW Z3/4 and the more recent 2006+ MX-5's. I did not want to bother looking at any Miata prior to 2006 due to the lower hp/torque, specially my friend's 1990 Miata. After many weeks he was finally able to convince me to borrow it just to see how it was, I only agreed so I could tell him how horrific the car was, but after just driving around the car for ten minutes I couldn’t stop smiling! There is just something about Miata’s even as old as this model year, that just make them so much fun to drive, even when compared to the more expensive cars I have driven, this car just does everything right to make for a very enjoyable drive. On to some other notes that people reading this review might want to hear, I am 6’4 and weigh 205, surprisingly enough I fit into this car (the top of my head basically touches the roof though), but I did have to remove the glare/flip down mirror because it directly blocked my eyes and made visibility very difficult. I loved driving this car around winding roads, despite not having a tremendous amount of power the car’s lightweight body and small chassis makes the car feel as though you are going faster which greatly added to the fun factor. The clutch was very easy and enjoyable to drive, however I could tell on long trips this car will get uncomfortable and cramped for anyone above 6’. The ride is very low so getting in was fine, but getting out was difficult, especially with the top down. The new MX’s are extremely fun, but if you don’t want to spend as much and still have the same feel, I would gladly recommend this car to anyone.

The best car I have EVER owned!

by Red baby car Lover from north carolina | May 24, 2011

45K miles on my baby, 21 years old she is, looks wonderful and runs near perfect. she gets regular routine maint. and I do not trash-drive her, though she loves being driven at higher RPMs and doing twisties. Pros: go kart, a breeze to work on, clean styling, simple soft top, no doo-dads to break, tough brakes, excellent balance and RED. Cons: seats cramped for wide-bottom people, wish I could sit further from wheel but can't depress clutch enough when I slide back, worry her crankshaft will go without warning, wish her headlamps were really brighter, wimpy horn but I don't want an airhorn either, no light right underneath the rearview mirror. Find one that is well cared for, with or without high miles and BUY IT. The best, most fun, reasonably priced street legal go kart ever produced!

Great value for the fun..

by Run-around with the Top Down from Seattle, WA | November 29, 2010

The car is primarily for my wife. She says it takes 10 years off her age, so that alone was worth the cost. Its good on gas mileage, reliable, and even the base model engine has a little pep. This car loves to run, best on long country roads and enjoys the curves. Being able to drop the top is a wonderful bonus. Since I am over 6 ft tall, I can only take the car in short 30 minute doses before I feel too cramped. Anyone under 6ft would enjoy this as a full time car.

Love Love Love Fun Fun Fun

by In Love from New Hampshire in the mountains. | March 12, 2010

My dream car for a long time. Finally got it. Had 145K miles, took a little work to make it run well and safe, and it still needs body work, but it was love at first sight. Great little car, great mileage, very dependsble and fun fun fun. A bit snug for a large person but I manage. Trunk space is very limited but you dont need much if you are happy. Nothing better than the wind blowing through what's left of my hair on a winding country road or just cruising around town. Mileage in the low 30's. I have no regrets. Wish I could try the new 6 speed, but 5 works fine. Its not a rocket but you can keep up and it will jump if you ask. Rear wheel drive not great in winter but when the roads are dry you can't lose.

tight for six footers

by pseudomil-if i kept all 42 from bonita springs,fl | September 6, 2008

one clutch in170k no oil yet . think like you have a bike- suvs drift in on you. meek horn. no cup holder. normal shift 1-3-5 saves wear,7k rpm is fun and so is 30 mpg. stay away from puddles.pseudo millionair

Most fun for the money

by Ricky from Newark, DE | September 20, 2006

This car is absolutey a blast to drive. Not the most powerful, fast in a straight line car on the road, but you don't have to slow down for turns. There is not another car I can imagine that puts a smile on the drivers face even going to the grocery store. The car makes me want to drive ~15 miles each way to hit the nearest curvy road as much as I possibly can. Its a blast, and I plan to keep it till I run the wheels off of it.

Featured Services for this Mazda Miata MX-5