1993 Mazda MX-5 Miata

24 city / 30 hwy

Overall

Best car I've ever driven

by StuntHunt from Burlington, VT | April 19, 2014

I've got a '93 Limited Edition Miata, which I bought used 14 years ago for $10k. At that time it was 7 years old with 19k miles, and now it's 21 years old with 80k. It's the original Miata version with a 5sp and all the toys, inc the hard top, some very nice body work and thick red leather seats that set it apart from all the rest. It's a very nice car! This car has been to the shop ONCE in 21 years for a minor oil leak (O-ring on the oil pump) and timing belt replacement. That's unheard of reliability. OK, some other items have been serviced in the meantime by myself: 3 tuneups, changed fan belts once, replaced front brakes, stereo, and soft top. I'm also on my 5th set of tires, but that's my fault because I run the car hard with sticky summer tires, and burn thru them quickly. I can't say enough about the car! It's an absolute blast to drive--like a go cart with a 5 speed. It's way more fun than any other car I've driven (including my '13 Ford Focus ST and my friend's Porsche 911). Why is it so much fun? Because you can drive it hard all day/every day, stand on the gas pedal and run thru your gears and hit every corner like Mario Andretti and never get a speeding ticket. The handling is just amazing--everything about it's balance just feels perfect. And I may be jinxing myself here, but it never breaks down. OK, the Porsche 911 and Focus ST are super powered, high performance autos that beg to be driven at 80+mph everywhere. The Miata is pokey slow in comparison (even if it feels fast). But heck, you can't even get past 2nd gear in the 911 before you're already over the limit. Really, you just can't drive those cars to their potential legally, and that's a problem. I'm the kind of guy who likes to drive his car hard and not lose his license. At age 54 I've been thru a bunch of cars, and I have to say I never smile so much as when I'm driving that Miata! All that, and I've never gotten less than 25 mpg. I'd give it an 11 if I could. Great car.

Fun Fun Car

by Scott58 from Michigan City, in | September 2, 2012

I've only owned this car for 2 months and only paid $2500 (paint faded and a bit of rust) with 117,000 on the clock. Mechanically it's very good and have had no issues and everything works. It's an automatic and very easy to drive compared to all the 5 speeds i've owned in the past. The shifts are crisp and it feels like the auto is always trying to keep you in performance mode as it's quite shifty depending on what you doing with the gas pedal. It handles very well and makes me want to drive a bit more aggressively then when in my other cars (no tickets yet!). I still get about 32mpg on the highway, so there's a fair bit of economy to go with the fun factor. This is a car that will put a smile on your face rather you have the top down or not. It's zippy and even comfortable on smooth roads (stay away from potholes). If your looking for a cure for a midlife crisis or back surgury keeps you off a motorcycle this is the ticket.

love my lil rice rocket ..lol

by tedybear from | February 1, 2012

it is so reliable and fun to drive people always asking about it and try to get me to sell...NOT FOR SALE keeping it in family my youngest daughter has claimed it she gets her learners lic this year

Simply a great car

by Seedy Backslash from Chicago, IL | December 31, 2010

I've owned a 93 Miata for the past 8 years. Most reliable car I have ever owned. Puts my 2000 Caddy Deville to shame. The only things I've had to replace are parts that have worn out from being 18 years old. Have 120K on it now. Re-did the lower rocker panels two years ago. Looks good. Runs even better. These are fun cars to drive and I still have people pull up next to me to ask about the car.

Miata magic

by strider from Arcata, CA | July 31, 2010

This car is a wonder. I bought it used with almost 30000 on it and 110,000 miles later, all I've ever had to do with it beyond regular maintenance, is a replaced coil pack. Can't beat it. Looks great, handles like it's on rails and performance is sane but fun. The only draw back I can think of is that the interior, while designed well is all plastic and it cheapens the look. But interior aside, this is one car I'll never sell. It's perfect!

First Car

by some 17 year old kid from Elgin, IL | September 9, 2009

This car is amazing... I've had it for about 8 months and i love it. It gets decent gas mileage in town which is good for me because of school. And once you get on the highway, this car can really go!

93 ORANGE Miata

by Original Owner from Chestertown, Maryland | February 27, 2009

I drove the car the first 250,000 miles. I'd buy it back it If had a decent place to keep it with my '06 Miata. Car was very well maintained (I worked at a car care place). I had the car 12 1/2 years, had to replace the battery at 10 years, also replaced the radiator and an altenator and of course tires and brakes.

Beauty + function + fun

by teetoncey from la | May 7, 2008

This is my 2nd first-generation Miata, total 325,000 miles (I needed the 2nd only because I wrecked the first at 286,000). Aside from the obvious FUN, it's so reliable that I wonder how Mazda makes money off them. Not to mention 26mpg mixed. Well, there's not much room, and the tape decks wear out long before the rest of the car; and perhaps it's not so practical in Minneapolis. But it's just a single step below a motorycle.

First Car

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Plymouth, Indiana | July 8, 2007

This is my first car and I love it. It is a great car for driving around town, but it is even better in the country. It handles wonderfully in town, where it's small size allows me to get around traffic. It is a blast to drive.

Most reliable car I have ever owned!!!!!!!!!!

by BuckeyeDDS from FAirfax, VA | May 3, 2007

I have owned a Miata for 14 years...156,000+ miles...its still on its original muffler...the clutch went until 150,000 miles...I'm only on the second set of brakes. Nothing is more exhillarating then to put the top down and drive the back country roads...when it was newer I took this car as far as 2000 miles from home on long cruising trips...now that I'm older those days are done!

Featured Services for this Mazda MX-5 Miata