1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata

25 city / 29 hwy

Overall

my toy

by Blacknight from Fall River MA | November 26, 2014

I purchased my 99 Miata with 109,000 this year so far it’s been reliable, great handling car for the back roads but not so good if there a lot of pot holes my muffler has come lose already. I upgraded to K&N intake and I’m waiting on the headers to install.

What a birthday present!

by JP from Southern Maine | June 17, 2014

I just found this white 1999 with just over 26,000 miles and snapped it up. The wife and I decided it is a bday present. There is no sign of rust and runs like new. It is the basic car, without power locks and windows. Reminds me of the 1970 MGB that I owed may years ago except for some major improvements to the top, engine and performance. This is not meant to insult the MG that I loved. Like the MG the performance is balance of reasonable power, MPG and the feel of speed at reasonable Miles Per Hour. I do love the experience of cruising the back roads of Maine with the top down and wind in my face. Top down motoring in the Miata is one of the best experiences one can have. It's hard to wipe the grin of my face but why even try!

Forever a Miata Fan

by Hayes from Atlanta, GA | February 4, 2014

This is the second Miata I have owned, my first being a 1996 model with a few issues. Initially I didn't like the size and parted ways quickly. I found myself in a full-size sedan and missed the fun of zipping around, top-down, that only the Miata delivers. I got my current 1999 over three years ago and have had no major issues. Just basic maintenance, a new top after a break-in and some TLC, and this car has been nothing but a delight. I have put well over 50,000 miles and it's my daily driver. I have taken trips across the state and state lines. While not the most comfortable I am also 5'8" and fit the car perfectly. My Miata has the sport suspension package and body kit, as well as all power options and leather. Basically a fully loaded, four speed automatic. I would enjoy one or two more gears that would really give the car an MPG boost but when I can fill up under $40 I don't have much to complain about. I am looking for a practical secondary car but refuse to give this little green gem up.

My Toy

by Nicko from Westchester County, NY | January 12, 2014

The top is an important feature, check it closely for tears (especially above the back if the window). Mileage is not an issue if the car was well taken care of. Check for oil leaks around valve covers, check clutch (if manuel), brakes, and power steering unit for leaks. Test drive to see that the front end is stable, with no pulling or shimmy. I'm really happy with my purchase and am looking to warmer weather!

A fun car that can also be a reliable daily driver

by Zoom-zoomer from Winona, MN | February 6, 2013

This is my 2nd Miata. The 1st was a first generation 1996 base model with the 1800cc engine. This I believe is still the most popular Miata. I've always thought the (NB) 2nd generation model was the best looking, but I wanted to wait until spring 2013 to start looking for a nice one. I found one however in the middle of January at a dealership. I didn't realize until my initial viewing of the 1999 that it had the Hard-S competition handling package. What a nice surprize! I bought it on the spot. Through the years Mazda has featured different handling and trim editions of the MX-5 Miata, all geared to appeal to enthusiasts of a drivers car. To the general public the Miata is this cute little convertible, but in reality it's a very reliable, safe, great handling car. To the enthusiast like myself it's the best handling lightweight roadster available at any price. With 50/50 weight distribution it can be driven hard into a corner and remain neutral. It has adequate power but not enough to upset the car with the average at the wheel. You can shift through the gears and have fun without breaking the speed limit. I would suggest checking out some on-line forums to learn more about, and better appreciate thje Miata. If you like go-cart handling, an engine that likes to rev, a nice exhaust note, and super reliibility, get a Miata MX-5. It will quite literally put a smile on your face!

!999 Miata

by Wingman from San Diego | November 24, 2012

Its a fun car. This is my second Miata and I enjoy customizing the car to make it fit my personality. Parts are readily available and while not inexpensive they are reasonable. All in all if you understand its a sports car and not a Lexus you will enjoy the Miata

perfect british roadster

by GEEZER from Murfreesboro, TN | September 1, 2012

Car had 100,000 miles on it when I bought it. Runs great, very reliable. It took Mazda to perfect the British roadster. Doesn't leak oil, rainwater, or voltage (aka. Prince of Darkenss British electrical systems). Just filled it up today and got 29 MPG. I'd recommend these beasties to a friend anytime.

One of the all-time great convertibles

by mr.excitement from Nashville, Tn | May 9, 2012

An easy to live with sports car. Always makes you smile when you drive it, bullet-proof reliability, great gas mileage, and a top you can raise and lower at a stop light without leaving the drivers seat. No wonder the Miata has been widely considered one of the best cars available every since it came out. Hard to beat; impossible to beat for the money!

Great little car

by noname from Fort Myers, Florida | March 21, 2012

The Mazda Miata comes as advertised. It's a great little car for a single individual or a couple. Space in the cockpit is limited, but that's also as advertised. It's the most fun car I've owned since my Corvette back in the days befor my kids & grandkids.

adult toy

by empiremica from north florida | May 14, 2009

i have a 1999 miata ..classic red, i bought new...when i retired i of course brought it to florida with me...because there is simply nothing..and i mean nothing as fun to drive with the top down on a warm day than a 5 or 6 speed miata.

Featured Services for this Mazda MX-5 Miata