2001 Mazda MPV

18 city / 23 hwy

Overall

2001 MPS

by SoCal from San Diego | September 25, 2013

We've had the van since 2001, the base DX model with the roll up windows. We have driven it all over the West and it has never let us down. There have been problems, but name one car that doesn't after 162,000 miles. The engine is still strong as well as the transmission. We have replaced the alternator twice and it is hard on tires and we had issues with the emissions equipment, but nothing out of the ordinary. The size is perfect for 2 kids plus their friends or dogs. Mazdas are not very quite on the road, but this was a base model. My wife has replaced the 2001 with a 2003 MPV, but we are keeping it for beach and dog car. It still has a go 50,000 left in it and the parts are becoming inexpensive.

Could not be happier with my purchase

by RL from Chas,SC | July 10, 2013

I bought this vehicle new 12 years ago. It's great for traveling with kids. Lots of memories. Underpowered, maybe, but it still pulls my 17' boat no problem. I think the boat weighs more than the van... It's now at 200K miles. Most repairs I can do myself. It shows considerable wear, but that's expected with what it has been thru. Just now replacing the ac compressor. No major work ever needed, even though I have never taken it for the regular maintenance. I don't remember ever having a tune up. SC to NY City and back with blown gasket, limped back into town. Reliable A++++. Lucky I guess. I'm going for 300K unless something major happens. Great car.

Dependable, good handling family hauler

by rogern1967 from Los Angeleles | April 22, 2013

I am the original owner of a 2001 MPV EX. Paid $26k. Now has 150k miles and 12 years of family use. I do all my own servicing and repairs. My wife choose this van because it is more maneuverable than competitors, and the 3rd row seat folding system was also superior to competition. As many pro and owner reviews of this van have stated, the 2.5L engine is over-matched for the van--the engine was designed for a small sedan. As a result, the van uses as much fuel as a larger more generously powered van, but under performs under a full load or towing. That said, the engine has been very dependable, with the only problems being a few nagging oil leaks which started at around 60k miles. Radiator was replaced around 100k. My van has dual Air Conditioning. This system is used frequently and has been completely trouble free--great system! The 4-speed auto transmission in the van needed to be rebuilt at around 110k, which is fairly typical. All other systems have received scheduled maintenance and have been trouble free. Only device not working is the CD player--it won't read a disk. My leather wrapped steering wheel has worn and looks awful--as does my the armrest on the driver's seat. I replaced the starter just recently--around 145k miles. Rear tailgate and both sliding doors (all manual) have been completely trouble free--quite a different story compared to what owners of other brand minivans with power doors share. Fuel economy maxes at about 23 on long trips, around town expect mid teens. If you buy good quality tires, they will last 40k. This Mazda has been a dependable family hauler. We bought it for its clever 3rd row seat and good handling. It remains trusted and dependable after 12 years.

We LOVE our MPV!

by TestyTess from Kansas City Metro Area | December 18, 2012

We bought this minivan in 2006 and have never regretted it. Aside from an outside door handle that broke off (my daughter was sure it was unlocked), and the visor clips (like every car I've owned), nothing inside or outside has failed. In cold weather we get a loud hum that almost sounds like a horn, but just have to rev the engine or change in/out of gear and it stops; no one has ever figured it out but it doesn't cause any problems. It has almost 180k miles and I never want to replace it! Gets near mpg city, more on highway. A little smaller than other minivans, easier to park or fit in garage but not more crowded inside somehow. I LOVE it.

I am glad I bought this car

by mazda fan from Torrance CA | May 24, 2011

I bought this 10-year old car with with only 52k miles on it after my beloved 98 Honda Odyssey developed transmission problems. This car is smooth handling, fast enough for average needs, tall but narrow and handles like a passenger car. I love it. I drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco lately and it was perfect and trouble free. A good value. Japanese-made, though the engine is actually a Ford Duratec engine, as I recall. I am very happy with my car.

Tranny NIGHTMARE

by Samican from Florida | February 22, 2011

Don't do it this van will drive you nuts. Today I found out I need my 3rd transmission and thats just f ing crazy. The door handle fell of the other day while my 5'3" wife was opening the door. Its loud as heck compared to other models in its range. And Mazda does know of all the tranny problems and won't do a thing to help. Look up all the law suits out against mazda because of their faulty trannys. They don't care. Please I beg you go with a different vehicle any other vehicle just not this one !!

Equippment

by Ah Dee from Bay area, CA | June 28, 2010

(1) Add the hitch on the rear for all models; (2) Add to install the sunshine block roll inside the frame of all doors.

An OK Minivan

by MK from Philadelphia, PA | July 21, 2009

My family have owned this minivan for 8 years. We have the ES version. The van looks beautiful from the outside and from the inside. It apparently have a few negative sides to it. First of all, the engine is not strong enough for the van it only has 160hp. You can really feel the performance come down when you turn on the AC or if you have a full load of passengers/luggage. Another negative thing about this van has to do with the transmission. It is a 4 speed transmission so if you are on a high way and lets say you are going at 70-75 mph the engine is working hard, about 3000-3250 rpm. I believe this is unnecessarily puts strain on the engine. Also the gear ration on the van is not that great, especially the first and second gears. Other than these issues, the van looks and runs great. Just make sure that you maintain it on time i.e. engine oil, transmission, brakes, spark plugs etc. Like the other reviews, if you are not planning on packing this van up..it will be okay.

Awesome minivan

by Soccer Mom from Danville, VA | June 26, 2009

Originally we were looking at Honda Odysseys, but after driving the MPV we were sold! It's a little smaller, making it much easier to drive and maneuver. Still has all the features we wanted: stow away 3rd row seats (no more lifting out those heavy back seats), side windows that roll down, rear air (on ours at least), and dependability. Highly recommended...try one and you'll buy one!!

Van like a car

by Car Enthusiast from California | July 24, 2007

I got this van August of 2000. Mazda MPV ES with 6-disc CD in-dash player, GFX package with spoilers all around, and fog lights. It is a well built car inside, the 9 speaker sound system is so good, its better than any other car I've had. It has lots of bass and is loud. The wood trim is also nice, because it makes it look less minivan like. And the A/C works great. The outside styling is nice. But, the front under spoiler tends to scrape occasionally. Plus, the fog lights help light up the road even better, I use them even when its not foggy. The only problem is the mechanics. Around town, the transmission holds the first gear too long, and the other gears not long enough. it also shifts between 1st and 2nd when going up hills, even when one person is in the van. If you put it in 1 or 2 its fine. I also drive over a mountain highway with 5 people and it is hard because I'll step on it to get into 3rd then at 3,700 rpm's I'll push it more and I'll be at 5,000 rpm's then I'll let up a tad then it'll go into 4th, then I'll have to repeat the process. (O/D off helps but still it'll go into 2nd). This brings me to the engine, it is way to small to function in this van, and I'm not looking to go fast! When merging sometimes on an incline I'll be going 35 mph and have to floor it just to hear this growling, the rpm's at 4,000 and still not much is happening. If I'm below 30 and floor it, it goes into 1st gear and I fly, but once into second my power is lost until 50 mph, and with the A/C on, it hurts. If you don't plan on having the minivan fully loaded with 7 people and luggage then this is perfect. If you do, then I'd consider another vehicle. This engine does totally not fit with the whole "get in and be moved" slogan. This minivan does act like a car in the way it handles, I can go on winding roads and drive it just like a car. Great van, just needs an engine change.

Featured Services for this Mazda MPV