2003 Mazda MPV

18 city / 25 hwy

Overall

Solid for impacts

by TT from Abbotsford | August 9, 2013

I bought a used MPV LX for $3800 and it has been excellent! My kids fell in love with it as did my wife and I. We just moved from Tokyo so had to set up house and it has been great for hauling furniture too. Some idiot in a hage Dodge RAM rammed my from behind two weeks after I had bought it - I was alone but the impact sent me into the car in front. Apart from flying glass I was fine as would have my family. And, ICBC valued the car at $6800 so they are repairing it. I know it is very strong in a high speed impact and holds its value and it fun to drive.

best choice

by rickruler from Kalamazoo | September 24, 2011

Just starting to rust, under doors other than that it is a low cost to own van, Super value. It rides good do not require a lot of maint. oil changes, small in the back ,But we are not big people, cant go wrong buying the MVP.

Good value for the money

by Soccer Dad from Mandeville, LA | March 11, 2011

Good value for the money. With 6 people to transport, the MPV fits our needs without being too big. There are some known issues with these vehicles but I knew that before I purchased it (used) and I know what to expect should they arise. Do your research before buying. Besides that, the vehicle looks and drives good and comfortably fits our family.

Great all-timer 7 passenger van and car

by Japanese MPVs Lover from Los Angeles | September 13, 2009

Hey for all those who don't know much about Mazda MPVs. 2000-2001 are with 170 hp only. 2002-2006 are with 200 hp and 200 lb-torque. Do not be misguided, the 200hp is very powerful for a 7 seater that weight only 3880 pounds. The Odyssesy and Sienna weight about 400 pounds more. You notice immediately the nimbleness of this Mazda. Braking is great and affirmative, cornering is a joy in this van. The 200hp engine ones will outrun in 0-60 compared to the 230hp equipped Siennas. Yet, the power was raised later for the Siennas. Taking seven people together has been no problem and it is a very reliable vehicle. I love the power doors feature, the big sunroof and the 17 inch alloy wheels. It look so sporty for a van. It is smaller too and I have parked it in tight spaces where the Siennas or Odyssesys before me have no choice but to leave the tight parking spaces. I love this Mazda, only drawback is the lack of a semi-manual-auto transmission, like the ones in a Mazda3 or Mazda5. Yet, the transmission is so smooth and power delivery is very linear. Max Torque comes so early at only 2,500 rpm. This is a keeper to me. Thanks Mazda. When shopping, keep in mind that this Mazda is cheaper than the bigger vans, park easier and mpg is about 21-22.5 for me. Sometimes 25-26mpg on mostly freeways only long driving. I really love it, and unlike the Odysses that use premium fuel, this Mazda MPV can use regular fuel.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Good Investment

by Chesterson from Milwaukee, WI | April 20, 2008

We purchased this vehicle new, off the lot. The van now has 180,000 miles on it (90% city driving). and we have only had to replace the water pump ($360). Although my wife really likes the van, she is the type who likes to get a new car every couple years. She fears the van will go 300,000 miles before it dies. I hope she is right.

Great family van

by Family man from Colorado Springs, Colorado | October 15, 2007

We bought our MPV new, soon after the third child arrived. It has been a reliable in-town hauler and long-distance cruiser that stands out from the sea of Dodge mini-vans. Ford-built V-6 gives good power and mileage in combination with the 5 spd automatic. Ours had a couple of early teething problems (under warranty) but has been rock-solid for 50,000 plus miles

Money's worth out of this van

by MPV-CALIF from San Diego, CA | August 22, 2006

This van was a great buy when bought new and has been perfect for our family of four. Most reliable car we have owned from a list that includes Accord, Passport, BMW 323, and Corolla. Only bad thing was that the original Dunlop tires wore out after less than 15,000 miles. It has enough power when needed, shifts smoothly, and averages about 22 mpg mixed city/hwy driving. Power sliding doors are the best feature because you can press the key remote to open the doors long before you walk up to it (a plus when shopping with kids).

Great small van

by Doc R from Maryland | July 1, 2006

Tough to get too excited about a van, but this has been everything advertised. Its size and handling make it more carlike than larger competitors. Reliability has been quite good. A few minor glitches have been taken care of by the dealer at no cost to me. It's not huge inside, but this is the trade-off for the smaller exterior dimensions. Not a good choice for a family of 6, but an excellent choice for a family of 4 (or 5, if the kids are young).

Good choice for minivan

by mpvowner from Wilmette, IL | May 15, 2006

The MPV was a good choice for us because we specifically needed a car that seats 7, and we didn't want to buy a big-boat minivan like the Odyssey. This car handles a lot like a sedan. We've been generally satisfied with the car, which we bought new. It's needed only routine maintenance. The exterior is a little sportier as minivans go, but that's all relative. The interior is fine and comfortable, but nothing special. It seats 7 fine, although you'd have trouble seating 7 adults.

Good choice for minivan

by mpv owner from Wilmette, IL | May 9, 2006

We bought this car new from Muller in Highland Park. It's a good choice, especially if you're looking for a vehicle that seats 7 but is relatively small and easy to drive and park. (You'd have a hard time seating 7 adults, but fitting a bunch of kids is no problem). We have the LX version, which is fine. It was hard to think of springing the extra money for the higher trim to get a leather interior -- for a minivan! The car handles fine and we haven't had any maintenance issues.

Featured Services for this Mazda MPV