2002 Mazda Protege

2002 Mazda Protege
Available in 3 styles:  2002 Mazda Protege 4dr Sedan shown

25 city / 31 hwy

Overall

First and best car I have ever had

by Brotege from Portland, OR | September 1, 2014

This is by far one of the best vehicles I've ever had. Great gas millage, and reliable as anyone could hope for. I am a college student that needs commute quite a bit to and from school, not to mention have a social life. This car handles it all. I may be a guy, but this car is great. Looks good, drives good, and holds up good. 100% recommend.

Great Little Car

by Brit from Salt Lake City, Utah | August 28, 2014

I bought this car as a high school senior 10 years ago and I still drive it. It's got 190,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. It has held together perfectly and I'll have a hard time ever letting it go. This car has been through many snowy winters and handles the snow very well for a front wheel drive.

best car i have ever owned

by jeremy from verona, ny | December 15, 2011

i got this car in spetember, it has been the best car i have ever owned, i have a stick shift. it is fun to drive, sips gas. just an all around great car. for me. i am a college student adn it fulfills all my needs, it can get a little crowded, being i am 6'4" and my friends are not exacly small, but for my use it works well!

Still going at 200,000 miles!

by Lizzy from Arizona | February 6, 2011

Bought the car new and it has been very reliable. I have a long commute and it averages 31 mpg on highway. And for a 4 cylinder, it has a lot of pep to it! This car is one that could be handed down to other family members. Truly is a GLC (great little car).

Awesome car

by Cat girl from Beverly Hills, 90210 | August 18, 2010

Bought new and love it. I will buy another Mazda. Fits all my friends. I love the stereo and sunroof.

Best handling small car

by Atlanta speeder from Atlanta, GA | August 18, 2010

My first drive in the Protege impressed me so much I ended up buying it the same day. That was in 2002 and eight years later I am still proud of my decision. The car handles like it is on rails. My favorite drive is up in the North Georgia mountains along the twisty roads. I am 6'4" and have plenty of legroom up front and headroom without the sunroof. The back seat is pretty tight and don't usually have more than one person back there. The 2.0L engine has plenty of power to get around town and onto the freeway. My gas mileage is usually in the upper 20s around town and on a trip to Orlando last summer recorded 34mpg. It just turned 87,000 miles and have had my check engine light come on a lot lately. Each time it comes on I take it to a mechanic that tells me something is wrong with the emissions system. We've been trying to troubleshoot it now for six months. Fortunately, the engine runs nice and smooth, so I imagine the problem must be minor. Other than the check engine light I have had no problems with the car mechanically. The display on my radio went out about two years ago. Found another stock radio on the internet, and the display worked great until recently, it has begun to flicker in and out. This is common so there must be something wrong with the factory installed Mazda radios. I am now a loyal Mazda enthusiast and am currently saving up to purchase a Mazda 3.

Great Value and Reliability

by Happy Mazda Owner from San Francisco, CA | May 24, 2010

The ES has so many great features! Have had mine for 6+ years and 90k with very few issues. Great gas mileage too (30+ mpg)!

Very Happy and Satisfied

by Jim from Tehachapi, Ca | January 29, 2010

Bought my 2002 Protoge sedan new, and have been very happy ever since. A simple, 4-door, roomy vehicle with all the power features (even a moon-roof, which I use almost everyday), and purchased for a lot less than a comparable Honda Civic. The car has get up and go when you need it (a 2.0 liter motor), and gets decent fuel economy when you get off the pedal (up to approx 30 mpg). Have just shy of 200,000 miles on it, and have had no problems at all with simple regular maintenance. Will buy Mazda again, maybe the "3". Hope this was helpful!

Perfect Reliability and Great Handling

by Economical Enthusiast from Worcester, MA | March 30, 2009

This car is perfect for anyone that enjoys taking corners quickly but is also looking for a car that is cheap, reliable, and socially acceptable. Engine noise does become noticeable above 60 MPH, which is also the point where your highway mileage will start dipping below a generous 32 mpg. The front disc brake calipers may become rusty and need replacement if the brakes are worked on sloppily (the piston seal may become damaged.) Rear passenger often comment on how quiet the car is (since they can't hear the engine noise.) I like this car much more than the two civics I have owned previously (1989 and 1995).

Very dependable

by mr. commute from cocoa,fl. | March 25, 2009

This car never breaks down 145.000 miles new fan belts and timing belt.but radios seem to stop working . I would buy another

Featured Services for this Mazda Protege