2008 Mazda RX-8

16 city / 22 hwy

Overall

Quick and Fast

by speedy from north east | November 28, 2012

I bought my 2008 Mazda RX-8 as a leftover in '09. I loved the car, owning it for 3 1/2 years. THe car was quick and fast and hugged turns and curves with ease. The 0 to 60 actually improved slightly over time as the car was being "broken in."The cons are the gas mileage, which is actually worse than advertised (high revving is suggested for the car, and that, in turn reduces the gas mileage) and checking (and filling if needed) the oil between every two or three fill-ups. I put on 43k on this car and loved every minute I drove it. The only reason I traded it in was becuase of the room in the back seat....my three kids were getting older and growing and fitting them in there was becoming problematic (the 4 seats inside was a good reason hang out with the kids and leave the wife at home to clean the house). I loved the car and the rotary engine. This is technically a sports car, so if it is wanted by you, gas consumption really should be a primary concern.. Hopefully when the economy improves and my kids are full grown the rotary engine will be back in production so I can buy another one!

Had to have one

by Matthew- from Hamilton, OH | January 30, 2012

Wow, fun car to drive! I purchased mine used with 32200 miles on it so it was still under the factory bumper to bumper warranty. Car was clean and looked well maintained, records showed that as well. Mazda USA was helpful getting details of the car as well. Did I mention this thing is just a blast to drive? It sticks to the road like glue but I have to say its biggest negative is that it is going to get me a ticket or two! It handles so well you don't realize how quick it is. I did have an issue not long after I picked it up but Mazda took care of that promptly. It is a rotary and they do have their quirks. Understand what they are and it will treat you well. If you don't it will most likely be a pain. Do your research, find a good one and hang on and enjoy the ride!

Mid-life car fix

by Mid-life car fix from Liberty, SC | July 30, 2011

The 2008 Mazda RX8 would not be my first choice of car to buy or in the running for me to own. But, I have one now. My daughter was the person who bought this car, and was unable to keep. During this time, I was looking for a fun car to own with a manual transmission car. Well, I found it. The rotary engine is smooth when it accelerate, but it is much more fun to drive when you are shifting around 6000 rpm. I have owned a few Mustangs and a Corvette, but the RX8 is now my new favorate car. I has thought about selling the car, but I have not found another car that I like to replace it with. I only wish that the seats were a little more comfortable.

Perfect car for fun daily-drive and weekend auto-X

by ZoomZoomFan from Richland, WA | July 28, 2011

Bought my 2008 RX-8 GT about 9 months ago (found a used one with 16k miles in great shape!). Have driven about 10k miles on it since, and am absolutely in love. If you've read any other reviews, you know that the low-end torque isn't great, and the gas mileage is pretty poor. I deem this a very good "compromise" car for those of us that want to run autocross on the weekend but can't afford a dedicated car for it and still need something to get us to work and back, and occasionally haul the kids somewhere. Above all, I just love the *feel* of this car when driving it. Smooth, powerful, and relatively comfortable (albeit a little cramped for 6'2", particularly if you are trying to provide legroom for anyone in the back seats..) Was nervous about this car after seeing some horror stories about engine troubles with early models, but in the end I was impressed enough by Mazda's decision to step up and extend (greatly) the engine warranty. Love love love this car. :)

I can see why this is one of Car & Driver's top 10

by Galaxy Grey Shinka from Arizona | August 7, 2008

I've owned my RX-8 for a year and a half now, and I still love it as much as the day I test drove it. The handling is top notch; the rear doors are innovative (I get complements all the time about how comfortable it is to sit back there from adults); the rotary engine is silky smooth.. so much, I wonder if it will be hard to go back to a piston-powered car; and I love the styling - clean & sporty, without going over the top. It's only downsides are it's overall gas mileage and it's overall torque.. neither are all that terrible, but there is a bit of compromise, knowing that the rotary design isn't a torque monster, but oh that 9,000 rpm redline is a joy to reach on daily drives. When I take a corner, or hit the redline, I soon forget that the gas mileage could be better.. after all, it is a sports car, not a Prius. All in all, I'd recommend any sports car enthusiast to drive an RX-8. The combination of everyday practicality (4 doors and a large trunk) and sports car attributes (handling/styling/redline) make this one unique automobile. I've been one to trade in my cars every 2 to 3 years, but I plan on keeping this one for quite some time. May the rotary live another 40 years =)

Excellent daily driver

by mark from ma. | June 6, 2008

I've driven 17,000 miles in the past year since purchasing an 07 GT RX-8 MT without any issues. Look forward to every drive. Mpg has steadily improved from 16 mpg (1st tank) to 20mpg in mixed driving currently with a high of 22.3 mostly highway. Great handling, good acceleration, good top end, good ride (on smooth pavement) however tire noise is high. At 6'2" and 290lbs. I'm comfortably snug in the driver seat however with the sun roof my head almost reaches the liner. One quart of oil in two parts has been required between 4,000 mile oil changes. Highly recommended to those who need the rear seating (big enough for adults). Fuel milage not as good as competition but nothing runs smoother. I will have a hard time going back to all but the best piston engines.

VERY GOOD CAR

by Hish from Grand Blanc, MI | October 6, 2007

i have the rx8 granf touring and it is great from the interor to the exterior. the nly problem is how often you have to change the oil and also on wet roads its kind of shakey. I love how its a coupe wet it has 4 doors and fits 4 people. Over all its a great car

What a rush!!

by Rotary enthusiat. from Philadelphia, PA | September 11, 2007

You can rev this car upto 9000 rpm, incredible acceleration and very good at slipping in and out of traffic. The rotary engines hum feels like you have a jet engine under your hood. Downsides include a small opening to the trunk and bad mileage. What? Did i say bad mileage and small trunk space? This is a sports car, if you want space, buy an SUV. This car will wake you up faster than coffee.

Featured Services for this Mazda RX-8