2009 Mazda RX-8

16 city / 22 hwy

Overall

Love it but

by Mazda lover from Hazlet New Jersey | June 25, 2013

I have the 09 6 speed Handles great Cornering is great Bought this new rotary engine burns a lot of oil I went synthetic only other problem was if you start it move it and turn it off you could flood the plugs this happend to me twice and had to take out the plugs and dry them before I could get her started again, so you have to watch that gas mileage 16/18 but i Expected that Besides that I love the car would recommend it to a friend.

2009 Red rx8

by ckman94 from glendale,ca | June 27, 2012

a overall well designed sports car i got mines 2 months ago and i love it, handles like a true sports car should. rotary power!

Amazing Car - If You Treat it Right

by 2009 White Mazda Rx8 - Grand Touring from Tampa, FL | May 15, 2012

In short, this car has everything that I was looking for. For those interested in the Rx8, please do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with the quirks that come with driving a rotary powered car. These cars are not maintenance free and require some special attention. If you give it what it needs, you will fall in love with this car. If you neglect it, you will regret buying this car. The exterior styling is exquisite on this car and it is frequently mistaken for a much more expensive car than it is. The interior design is well suited to the car and is not made out of cheap easily broken plastic like many (all?) American cars in this price range. The performance of this car is extremely finely tuned and it makes for a phenomenal driving experience. HOWEVER, please be warned that this car is not a torque/HP monster. This car is about streamlined power and top of the line maneuverability. You will not beat a 270z in a straight line, but that is not what this car was built to do. With regard to maintenance and reliability, I would point any potential buyer to read through the Rx8 Club forums to see what is necessary to keep this car in prime condition. I have owned 10+ cars in my life and this car is the best by a wide margin. If you think you can live with its quirks, the Rx8 is the best sports car in this price range.

RX8 R3 Review

by RedR3 from San Antonio, TX | April 15, 2010

2009 RX8 R3. I've owned sportscars all my life. This thing doesn't get great gas mileage and there are certainly a number of cars that will out accelerate it. It's ride is so harsh that it makes your teeth rattle. The Recaro race seats are really too narrow for me. The manual transmission is really notchy until it warms up. The car uses a lot of oil, which you must check frequently. The rotary engine has been known to implode. Having said all that, I must say I absolutely love this thing!! Of the 23 cars I've owned this is far and away my favorite. Yes, the ride is harsh, but that's why it has the fantastic handling that it has. The rotary engine is small and light which once again adds to the handling. That notchy transmission? When it warms up, there's not much out there that's better. Small, quick, concise gearchanges. The rotary is so smooth and makes such a beautiful sound. That sound is musical from 7500 to 9000 RPM! I have the R3 and I love the looks. It seats 4 people and my kids love riding in it. "Dad's cool car"!! They never said that about my 335i. Would I recommend this car. If you're an enthusiast, heck yeah! It's so much fun, and it's so unique. And the price can't be beat. I've seen comparisons with the 370Z, which is a great car, but when you factor in the price you can actually get out of the dealership with, there is no comparison. Mine had 5,000 miles on it when I got it and I paid about 60% of what a comparable 370Z would have run me. And I like it better. Yes, it takes extra care, but that's part of the appeal. It's a car that you must be involved with. Not the stereotypical computer driven car that doesn't require anything from its owner. I love my RX8 R3!!!!!

Great Fun to Drive for Racecar Driver Wannabe's

by First Time Sports Car Owner from | February 22, 2010

I find the 2009 RX8 to be all I hoped for in styling, ride and performance. Mine has the 6-speed auto transmission with manual OD. I use manual mostly to get the power and efficiency of downshifting and upshifting. Went from a Suburban to the Mazda, so enjoy the sporty feel and look. Nice for zipping around town and on the highway. Corners well, has tight turning radius, can move fast when needed. Have not had any mechanical issues. Is an affordable option for someone who likes the sport feel without an unreachable price.

Rx8 Transitions

by Car Guy from Dallas, TX | January 30, 2010

I had an 04 auto rx8 with no issues to 40k miles. I sold it and bought a faster car, but the rx8 leaves an impression (it is polar and either you like it or you don't). I averaged 14mpg, best was 19mpg (bad fuel economy). The old rx8s had a different suspension, different cross members, and even a different number of fuel injectors (6-4). The new version also has an extra oil input, that was brought back from the rx7 engine design to address reliability. My car had a 4 speed auto, which was as terrible as could be (how it missed shifts I will never know). They now have a pretty good 6 speed auto, and the same 6 speed manual (have driven the new ones). The 2009 model hasn't had a chance yet to be vetted, but with all the engine modifications (none of which a normal person would see or notice) it is much improved from before. Because of these modifications being hidden (and not being power adding), and the superficial ones being overshadowing, even down to the new functional spoiler, no one really noticed the changes. Mazda extended engine warranties for older models, and is now trying an intermediate step before 2012. I liked mine, but ended up with an evo X instead of a newer 6 speed rx8 (more headroom, though 4 adults can fit in the rx8). All sports cars tend to require compromises, and this one's is fuel economy. On reliability, people I know have had them to 200k miles, but I know there were a lot of issues, where the engine would be great, or full of problems, with not as much in between as other vehicles. The big issue with the rotary is no short trips like garage to driveway; you must warm the engine by at least going around the block and revving a little for the rotary. I loved my car for the time I had it and miss a lot of the handling characteristics, but it is a choice, and I would buy one again, just decided on a faster car stock instead of modifying a new rx8.

RX-8 Proud Owner

by RX-8 Proud Owner from Olympia | January 19, 2010

As with an car, when it comes to the RX-8, you have to know what you are buying. You aren't buying a 350HP car with a high ammount of torque. You are buying a sporty style car with GREAT handling and enough power to make you still feel like a man. The car itself is great. The design is more sporty on the R3 than that of the previoud 8 models. The bigger wheels look great on the car. The car has even better handling that before with more support. The Recarro seats litterally suck you in. If you are fat, you wont fit. If you are normal size, you may fall in love with the seats. The new steering wheel feels great and the car is overall very fun. The sound of the rotary engine and 6-9k RPM is like a rocket and make it more fun to drive at high RPM than other vehicles.

this car

by lucky13 from cali | September 7, 2008

is the best. Although it is only 230 horses it still gets up there. it red lines at 9k and as mazda, it will last till you die.

Not Dependable

by RX-8 owner from Oklahoma | June 5, 2008

I was very excited to hear about the NEW RX-8 becasue I have had nothing but problems with my 06. However there are no changes to the engine or transmission on the new model. I have had problems with the car dying and it is believed to be because of hot/warm climates. I recommend doing research on at least 2 independent websites before purchasing.

Featured Services for this Mazda RX-8