2004 Mazda Tribute

Available in 6 styles:  2004 Mazda Tribute 4dr FWD shown

Overall

225K and still running smooth

by Tribute Lover from Hermitage, pa | March 11, 2014

I purchased my vehicle new back in 2004 - today it has 225,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. The A/C and heating unit works really well to this day. In fact I still have never turned the A/C up full blast because it gets so cold. I have never changed a timing belt , had any transmission problems or any pricey repair jobs. I changed the oil/filter faithfully every 4-5 K miles, but other than that just routine repair work. So if your car has 100K miles on it and has been taken care of you should be in good shape for many years to come. I wish they still made the Tribute. It remains one of the more stylish SUV's ever made. Enjoy the ride !!

Best car I've owned

by SoCal Commuter from Southern CA | November 20, 2012

After a Honda (paid more than it cost new for repairs) and 2 Toyotas (reliable, but fell apart after 150K miles), I shopped around and was very happy to purchase a used Tribute (1 year / 11K miles). With a 64 mi round trip daily commute, I have logged 170K miles in 10 years. Until just a month or so ago when the engine light came on signaling a $1300 repair of the ignition system, I have spent less to maintain this car than any other I've owned. It gets 1/3 less mpg than my Toyota Corolla but then it's a SUV and I expected that. Even so, at 22 mpg it gets better mileage than my sister's late-model Hyundai. It has been a great car and I'd happily keep it until it dies a ragged death.

Better than I expected

by Critical from Pensacola,fl | January 2, 2012

So far I have only had this vehicle 6 months. I bought it with 92,000 miles. It drives awesome. It has enough get up and go when needed and stops quickly. It does however require the intake manifold to be taken off the replace spark plugs...an expesive ordeal. So far I love it!

Good second car

by AZ EDan from Phoenix AZ | September 4, 2010

Bought it used. It is the ES model with all the goodies: leather, sun roof, power seat, heated seats,auto RV mirror with temp & direction. Have not experienced any mechanical problems at 60K. Front brakes were rebuild when we bought it. It is a noiser ride than my Kia Sportage. Don't like location of key or radio controls. Trans selector is column mounted-not the best place. Wife loves it and won't give it up.

Well built SUV for the $$

by GamecockFan from South Carolina | April 24, 2010

Traded a large '04 Durango for a more economical and more reliable SUV. Did a TON of looking and could not beat the value of the '04 Tribute (Ford Escape sibling). It is a well built vehicle, when you close the door it feels very solid. Some road noise even with windows closed, but I would imagine it depends on the tires you run on it. Front wheel drive handles well in wet weather, punch too hard on the V6 though and front end tends to skip a bit. A lot of amenities for a value priced car, leather, sunroof, upgraded stereo, very pleased so far. Have a '91 mazda miata and hope the Tribute lasts nearly as long!

New car for the price of a use one

by happy retiree from Alaska | April 9, 2008

The title said it all. Being an outdoor person my Mazda got the room to accomodate my gears from sea kayak to mountain bikes and everything in between. My gas mileage in town is about 19/20 mpg w/studed tires and 20/22 summer, 22/25 mpg summer on the hwy under 70mph. Excellent handling and driving on snow and ice w/studded tires. The first year had problem with my engine light coming on, after several trips to the shop the problem was corrected. Got less then 13000 miles on my original summer tires and replacement are needed.

Loved my Tribute but......

by k9fancy from Central PA | February 16, 2008

I purchased a 2004 Mazda Tribute new. I loved it. It was fun to drive and reliable. However, four years later and 68,000 miles, the front and rear crank seals and the axle seal started to leak, plus the throttle stuck at times. The cost to repair would be over $1,000. As much as I loved the vehicle, I traded it for a Hyundai. I just wasn't sure what problems may appear next and I still owed another 2 years on it.

True to the word -S.U.V. Not exactly a gas saver.

by Just like to drive from Seaside, CA | June 14, 2007

This car is about 1. Sports: great handling, linear steering, steady power once getting up the speed, great center feel on the wheel. 2. Utility: more space than most better SUVs (try 4-Runner for trunk, or head room for Explore or leg room for X-Terra, not to mention the fancy Euro ones, X3, Touareg, etc). Nothing fancy or sophisticated about this car. But it ain't ugly or extra cute, just right for what it is, well proportioned (Jeep Liberty looks like somebody cut off half of its behind!) Mine's a L4, about 20/mpg on average, nothing to brag about, surprise to me, I am not hard driver and I don't carry heavy loads either. The noise is terrible. But most SUVs are not quiet either. My wife's 2004 Camry gets plenty noisy once over 65mph. Don't know why the "experts" claim the Camry is so quiet. It's not. But than Tribute, but not by much. The interior is functional but nothing to brag about either. The fit and finish is better, quite a bit better than what I saw in the 2008 model, what a shame! The 08 model obviously uses cheaper plastics all over, looks like something out of Dollar Tree! My 04 model is much better. The manual shifter works, but nothing slick or fancy about it either. But the stick does give the car a lot of kick when I need it, especially on the highway. The seat isn't comfy but beats the cushy Camry in long distance - the latter gives back pain because the hollow space between the back and the seat, Tribute is much better designed here (Don't believe everything the experts tell you about the Camry). Over all, the Tribute is truly a SUV, like the Miata also from Mazda, nothing fancy, but gets the job done as it supposed to. Goes anywhere I like, and carry the stuff. I am constantly amazed by how much cargo space this little car has! They even make noise in similar fashion which gives me headache over 1 hour drives. Bottom line for me, it works, not pretty, but works. I wanted to go cheap and functional, I got what I asked for. No more, no less. A bit dispointed by the not so thrifty engine

Value for your money

by Mustang from Anchorage | September 12, 2006

Not the best car, but respectable value for the money. Noisy above 50. Good in the snow 21mpg in town with my 4 cyl, with studded snow tire 19/20 mpg could be better. Hwy 22/24mpg summer driving under 70mph. Was very reliable until I went 4 times in the last 12 months to the dealer for an engine light going on. Every time a different problem, with no clear final solution.

Featured Services for this Mazda Tribute