The Mazda Tribute, a sibling to the Mercury Mariner and Ford Escape, got a significant exterior and interior face-lift for 2008. For 2009, Mazda makes a slew of mechanical changes that could improve performance and efficiency. New inline-four-cylinder and V-6 engines are available in the Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trim levels; a hybrid model is listed elsewhere in the Cars.com Research section. The Tribute seats five, and its competitors include the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V and Saturn Vue.
New for 2009
The Tribute receives new four-cylinder and V-6 engines, a new six-speed automatic transmission, and redesigned front and rear seats.
The outside of the Tribute didn't get as dramatic a face-lift as the Escape did for 2008. The grille lost its crossbar and the Mazda logo was moved up. The 2009 Tribute gets a capless refueling system that's supposed to make refueling easier. It's 174.9 inches long, which is shorter than its competitors, and 71.1 inches wide, about the same as the RAV4, CR-V and Vue.
- Standard 16-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
- Standard fog lights
- Standard power mirrors
- Standard automatic headlights
- Optional heated mirrors (standard on Grand Touring)
- Optional power moonroof (standard on Grand Touring)
The Tribute has seating for five, and there's about 99 cubic feet of passenger space, which is less than the RAV4 and CR-V but more than the Vue. The Tribute has a 60/40-split folding rear seat. With the rear seat up, the Tribute has nearly 30 cubic feet of storage space, equal to the Vue but less than the RAV-4 and CR-V. When the rear seat is down, cargo space increases to 66 cubic feet. The rear window opens independent of the liftgate.
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard cruise control
- Standard power windows and locks
- Available cloth- or leather-trimmed seating
- Available heated front seats (standard on Grand Touring)
- Available satellite radio (standard on Grand Touring)
Under the Hood
Tribute buyers get the choice of two engines, both of which have been upgraded. A manual transmission is standard on the base model, and other models come with a standard six-speed automatic transmission, which is available on the base model.
- 171-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder with 171 pounds-feet of torque
- 240-hp, 3.0-liter V-6 with 223 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed manual transmission (base)
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Front- or all-wheel drive
Safety equipment includes:
- Standard front, side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard antilock braking system with electronic brake force distribution
- Standard electronic stability system
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Mazda Tribute.