1996 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Information Coming Soon

Overall

Reliable, reliable, reliable

by Borikui from Cecil County, MD | May 12, 2010

Is 390,000 plus miles reliable enough? I would suggest YES and the car is still running as smooth as ever. I bought this car used with 68,000 miles for commuting to work. I live in Maryland and work in the New York City metro area so I needed it be low price in order to pay cash and not have a car payment. I have done nothing but a quarterly Oil change(Full Synthetic), Mercedes Oil Filter. I changed the Air Filter to a cleanable K&N, and I change the Spark Plugs every 80K miles (obviously I've changed tires and brakes). This car has not even given me the inclination of leaving me stranded at any point and other than the aforementioned maintenance (which I perform), it has never needed to go to a garage (except tire changes). If you like to save a few bucks and are a shade tree mechanic, the German engineering does not dissapoint. Everything is within easy access and easy to replace. Did I mention that even though this car is not All Wheel Drive it's better in the snow than my AWD Volvo? The weight distribution on this car must me 50/50 because as long as you have good tires, you will not be slipping in the snow. I can go on and on and on but I know that I should keep the review short. In summary GET this car.

Great on Gas!

by Car Trainer from Boca Raton,Florida | September 1, 2008

I have several cars. I really enjoy this little 4 cylinder Mercedes!It has had a few problems.1. Alarm system wouldn't allow the car to turn on, it took 1 month before Mercedes couldn't figure out how to fix it. That was the only major problem. I really like it because it's great on gas. Mercedes stipped making 4 cylinders c-class in 03.

Nice smooth ride

by cl from ventura county, california | June 22, 2008

I own a 96 C class 280. the car provides a smooth ride. but thank God for MB warranty as in the beginning several problems came up that were very expensive. the gas tank went bad and i had a loaner car from the dealer for 2 weeks. the part itself was $800 but the warranty (through 70k miles) covered it. there's also a recall on the bushings.

Mr.

by Frugal but not Thrifty from Cincinnati, Ohio | May 12, 2006

I purchased my C220 used on a whim. I happened to see the vehicle in a lot test drove it and purchased it the next day. The car had roughly 84K miles when purchased. I now have 152K miles. I have owned the vehicle 2 years 9 months. I average 31 mpg primary highway driving and 28 mpg combination city/ hwy. This is the first car I had purchased for myself since 1982. I have always had the luxury of being supplied a company car. Mechanically sound easy and comfortable to drive OLD but NOT out of date. I am purchasing a 96 or 97 for my son who just turned 16 and passed his driving test. He enjoys driving mine and is happy to have one of his own.

Featured Services for this Mercedes-Benz C-Class